Were you hurt, or have you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident in Hempstead, N.Y.? If your motorcycle accident was caused by another motorist, you should talk with a Hempstead motorcycle accident lawyer to understand your legal options. Most motorcyclists are cautious because they know that a motorcycle crash can involve severe and potentially life-threatening injuries.
Although most motorcycle riders understand the risks they face and take precautions every time they get out on the road, riders still must contend with other motorists who aren’t as careful and are not paying attention for motorcycles. While some motorcycle accidents occur due to the rider’s own error, more often than not, motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other motorists.
When you hire Cohen & Jaffe to handle your Hempstead motorcycle accident injury case, you can trust that we will use our experience, knowledge, and resources to pursue the best possible outcome of your case. Our NY motorcycle accident lawyers have over 100 years of collective experience helping accident victims, including motorcycle riders who have been injured by other motorists. We are proud of our track record of success, having secured millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. We understand the impact that a motorcycle accident can have on a rider’s life. Our partner Richard Jaffe is also a trained EMT, so he understands the traumatic nature of the injuries that motorcycle riders can suffer in an accident.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a Hempstead motorcycle accident due to somebody else’s negligence, don’t delay in speaking to a knowledgeable attorney about your legal rights. Schedule a free consultation with the Hempstead motorcycle accident attorneys of Cohen & Jaffe today. Call us at (516) 358-6900 or fill out the form on our website to get in touch with us.
Causes of Hempstead Motorcycle Accidents
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, there were 255 motorcycle crashes in Nassau County in 2018. Of these accidents, 11 accidents resulted in a fatality, with 26 resulting in serious injuries, 46 resulting in moderate injuries, and 94 resulting in minor injuries.
The crash data show the four primary causes of motorcycle accidents in Hempstead:
- Distracted drivers – Many motorcycle accidents are attributed to a distracted motorist. In most cases the automobile driver was the distracted motorist. Texting-while-driving ranks as one of the most common kinds of distracted driving. Motorists are subjected to all kinds of other distractions, including the radio, a GPS device, food or drink, or other passengers or pets in the vehicle. When a driver is distracted behind the wheel, he or she can overlook a smaller motorcycle and cause a collision.
- Failure to yield – Many motorcycle accidents around Hempstead are caused by drivers’ failure to yield to a motorcycle rider. A common accident scenario is a situation in which a driver is making a left turn and misjudges the speed of an oncoming motorcycle and turns in front, causing the motorcycle to hit the car. Drivers tend to look out for larger passenger vehicles and trucks and may overlook a smaller motorcycle and cause a crash.
- Unsafe lane changes – Drivers on the highway can clip motorcycles when they fail to signal a lane change or fail to check their sideview mirrors or blind spots, and make an improper lane change into a lane occupied by a motorcycle. A motorcycle can be invisible in a larger vehicle’s blind spot unless the driver looks to the side to check.
- Speeding – Excessive speed is a contributing factor in a significant number of motorcycle accidents. In particular, speeding can lead to rear-end accidents involving motorcycles. Automobile drivers may not realize that motorcycles can stop in a much shorter distance than other vehicles. A driver who is speeding and following too closely may be unable to stop in time to avoid hitting a motorcycle from behind.
Common Injuries in Hempstead Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle riders face a significantly greater risk of serious injury and death than drivers and passengers of larger vehicles such as cars and trucks. Because motorcycles lack the protection of an enclosed passenger compartment or safety features such as seat belts and airbags, motorcycle riders are at risk of a wide variety of injuries in a collision.
Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Severe road rash caused by hitting the pavement after being thrown off a motorcycle
- Broken bones
- Soft-tissue injuries including torn muscles, tendons, and ligaments, often caused by hyperextended or dislocated joints
- Organ damage and internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injury, which can result in temporary or permanent paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury, including concussions, memory/behavioral/cognitive problems, or coma.
Serious injuries from a motorcycle accident can leave a rider with long-lasting or permanent effects and require a lengthy recovery and rehabilitation. If a rider’s injuries are severe enough, they can even be fatal.
Tips for Actions to Take after a Hempstead Motorcycle Collision
After a motorcycle accident in Hempstead or elsewhere in Long Island, you should take certain steps in the hours, days, and weeks after your accident to protect your legal rights.
Taking the appropriate actions will put you in the best position to seek full compensation after a motorcycle crash case.
- Call 911 to report the motorcycle accident. If you and/or somebody else has injuries, 911 should dispatch emergency medical services to the scene of the accident. Even if no one has been hurt, you should still call the police to have an officer come to the scene and prepare a police report. A police report documents what occurred and can be crucial evidence in a motorcycle accident claim.
- Avoid apologizing or admitting fault. Although we may reflexively apologize after a motor vehicle accident, you should avoid offering any apologies or making any statements that might be construed as admitting fault for the accident. You also should avoid trying to minimize your injuries. These statements might be used against you later to defeat your motorcycle accident claim.
- Document the accident. You should be sure to get the contact information and insurance information from the other motorists involved in the accident. If possible, you should also try to photograph or video the accident scene, including damage to the vehicles involved, skid marks on the road, traffic signs and controls, and the weather, lighting, road, and traffic conditions at the time of the accident.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you refuse medical attention at the accident scene, you should follow up with your doctor and have a medical evaluation. The shock of the accident can mask pain and other symptoms of injuries you suffered in the accident. A trained medical professional may be able to diagnose these injuries in an examination and treat them.
- Don’t ignore your doctor’s advice. You should follow your medical provider’s treatment advice. Slacking on treatment may allow the other driver to argue that you were not as seriously injured in the accident as you claim.
- Avoid social media. You should avoid posting comments about your accident or injuries on social media or posting photos or videos of yourself being active or going on vacation in the months after the accident. Your social media posts might be used to undermine your claims in your motorcycle accident lawsuit.
- Speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. You should speak with a motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. A knowledgeable attorney can help you understand your rights and options and can help you best protect your legal claim.
Contact a Hempstead Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries and damages. Don’t wait to start the process of holding those at fault for your accident accountable and seeking full financial compensation for your injuries and financial losses.
Contact Cohen & Jaffe today to schedule a free consultation with a Hempstead motorcycle accident attorney today to learn more about your legal options and how our firm can help you pursue the best possible outcome in your motorcycle accident case.
We can help you with other issues that may arise during your recovery, including helping you to find doctors or other medical providers, arranging to have your vehicle repaired, and dealing with the insurance adjusters so that you can focus your time and energy on your recovery. We strive to be available to you. We return all calls and emails within 24 hours, and all clients receive attorney Richard Jaffe’s cell phone number for 24/7 accessibility. If you cannot come to our office to speak with us due to medical issues or other difficulties, we are happy to make other arrangements to consult with you.
At Cohen & Jaffe, you and your case are important to us. You will always work directly with our partners Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen. We are dedicated to helping you with every aspect of your recovery from your motorcycle accident, not just the financial part.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-358-6900