Motorcyclists in Valley Stream, New York ride for transportation and to enjoy the outdoors. Given the lack of protection that a motorcycle offers, motorcyclists tend to ride with care. Unfortunately, even when a motorcycle rider takes every precaution to avoid an accident, the negligence or recklessness of another motorist can lead to an accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle crash caused by another motorist, you need the guidance of an experienced Valley Stream motorcycle accident lawyer who is ready to fight for you to receive full compensation for your injuries.
After you’ve been in a Valley Stream motorcycle accident, let the compassionate and dedicated motorcycle accident attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, pursue the financial recovery you need from those responsible for your accident and your injuries. Attorney Rich Jaffe has training as a certified Emergency Medical Technician and understands from firsthand experience the catastrophic injuries that careless drivers can inflict on motorcyclists. We are ready to help you find the way forward after a serious motorcycle accident.
Past Motorcycle Accidents in Valley Stream
Bordering the New York City borough of Queens, the Village of Valley Stream sees its fair share of motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents. One motorcycle accident in Valley Stream in 2018 turned fatal for a motorcycle rider struck by an SUV.
Jason Rosenbaum, age 27, was struck and killed while riding his motorcycle along Rockaway Avenue in Valley Stream. An SUV driven by a 55-year-old man was turning left onto Dubois Avenue when it struck Rosenbaum on his motorcycle. Rosenbaum was thrown from the bike and suffered critical injuries. He was transported by emergency medical services to South Nassau Communities Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.
Eyewitnesses to the accident reported that Rosenbaum was not in a position to avoid the SUV because the SUV’s position was blocking the street.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Valley Stream?
Motorcycle accidents can have many causes. Frequently, the cause is the inattention or negligence of other motorists who are not looking out for motorcycles on the road.
Some of the most common causes of Valley Stream motorcycle accidents include:
- Failure to check mirrors—Motorcycles are narrow vehicles and can be easily overlooked in the blind spot of a car, truck or bus.
- Unsafe lane changes—Drivers may fail to signal a lane change or may fail to turn their heads to check blind spots for vehicles, including motorcycles, before making a lane change.
- Turns—Drivers making left turns who fail to yield to oncoming motorcycles cause many accidents at intersections.
- Distracted Driving—Drivers who are distracted by cell phones, car radios, or other vehicle occupants may fail to be aware of changing traffic conditions.
- Speeding—Driving at excessive speeds reduces the time a driver has to recognize a hazardous situation and take steps to avoid a collision.
- Tailgating—Motorcycles can stop in a much shorter distance than passenger vehicles or trucks, so motorists that are following a motorcycle too closely may hit a motorcycle in a rear-end collision.
- Impaired Driving—Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs present a danger to everyone sharing the roads.
- Improper Passing—New York law gives a motorcycle the right to full use of the road lane. A driver who fails to fully move over to the adjacent lane to pass a motorcycle puts a rider at serious risk of a collision.
- Reckless driving—Weaving in and out of traffic or running stop signs or red lights may cause a motorcycle crash.
Motorcycle accidents can also be caused by factors external to the motorists involved, such as defects in the motorcycle, poor road conditions such as broken pavement or debris in the road, or bad weather such as snow, heavy rain, or fog. In some cases, the government agency responsible for maintaining the road may be liable for unsafe road conditions leading to a motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle riders can take certain precautions to reduce the risk of an accident or reduce the severity of injuries suffered in an accident, such as:
- Making sure your motorcycle is properly maintained and is in good working order every time you ride
- Practicing safe riding skills, including obeying traffic laws and following speed limits
- Wearing a helmet to help you avoid serious or life-threatening head or brain injuries
- Wearing protective gear, including pants and long sleeves made out of a durable material such as leather or denim; you should also wear gloves and durable footwear that covers your ankles. Ideally, your clothing should be bright and incorporate reflective material to help make you more visible
- Riding with your headlight on at all times
- Never riding a motorcycle more powerful than your experience and skill level
- Never getting on your bike while you are fatigued, or after you have consumed alcohol or drugs
How a Valley Stream Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one has a claim for compensation following a motorcycle accident, a Valley Stream motorcycle accident attorney can help you seek financial compensation for your injuries and damages. The steps we take include:
- Thoroughly investigating your accident, including securing critical evidence such as the police accident report, accident scene photos, vehicle damage reports, dashcam/surveillance video, driver toxicology reports, or eyewitness statements
- Working with experts to help build a strong, persuasive case to show how your accident occurred and how the other driver or drivers or other parties were at fault for the collision
- Helping you document your damages, including collecting your medical bills and other out-of-pocket expenses, calculating your lost wages, working with financial and vocational experts to determine lost future earning capacity, and helping you and your family to testify as to your pain and suffering and lost quality of life
- Negotiating with the insurance company to get you a full and fair settlement of your claim
- Pushing back against the tactics that insurers use to avoid full liability, such as relying on stereotypes against motorcycle riders to claim that you were at fault for your accident
- Preparing to take your case to trial, if it becomes necessary, including building a persuasive case, making sure court documents are timely and properly filed
- Advocating on your behalf to the judge and jury
We will manage every detail of your case to ensure that you have the best chance of receiving fair, full compensation for your injuries. When the other side sees that we are prepared to go to court and have developed a strong case, the insurance company is more likely to agree to a settlement.
About the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
When you choose the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, you can be assured that you have a team of skilled attorneys on your side. With over a century of collective experience, our personal injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients through negotiated settlements and verdicts at trial.
Our firm is dedicated to providing you with the focused legal representation you deserve. If you cannot make it to our office for a meeting, we can arrange to meet you at your hospital bed, home or arrange for video conferencing. When we handle your case, you will work directly with our law partners Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen. We return all calls and messages within 24 hours, and all clients receive attorney Richard Jaffe’s cell phone number so that you have 24/7 accessibility to the attorneys handling your case.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we understand the trauma and stress that being in a motorcycle accident can place on you and your family.
Our firm works to help you resolve the day-to-day issues that arise in your recovery from your accident, including finding doctors and other health care providers, repairing or replacing your damaged motorcycle, and dealing with insurance adjusters who may be constantly calling you, so that you can keep your focus and energy on your physical and emotional recovery.
If you or a loved one has been injured through no fault of your own while riding a motorcycle in Valley Stream, contact the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Valley Stream motorcycle accident attorney. We can discuss the details of your accident while you learn more about your legal rights and options for pursuing compensation for your injuries and about how our firm can help you maximize your financial recovery. Call us at (516) 358-6900 or fill out the contact form on our website.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Valley Stream, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.