The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is different from other firms in Valley Stream. We view each case through not only a legal lens but a medical lens, as well. Richard S. Jaffe, one of our founding partners, has over 500 hours of working with brain injury victims. He and his staff can utilize this knowledge when building your slip and fall accident case.
You can begin a free case review today at no cost. Share information about your fall, and we can help determine your legal options.
It Costs You Nothing Upfront to Hire Our Firm
We do not want the cost of hiring our firm to add to your financial complications. By offering our help on a contingency-fee-basis, we:
- Finance the legal process until this conclusion
- Can get started on your case right away with no upfront cost to you
- Take payment for our help from the settlement we recover on your behalf
You could hire a lawyer with our team, have them win your case, and then walk away with compensation at no cost to you.
What Goes Into Building a Slip-and-Fall Accident Case in Valley Stream?
To recover damages for your medical bills and other expenses, we must prove that because of a property owner’s negligence, you were hurt. This could have been because:
- They did not have their employees routinely check the store for hazards.
- They did not respond to a hazard in a timely manner.
- They did not warn guests of a potential danger.
We must prove that 1) the property owner had a duty of care to keep you safe, 2) the property owner failed in this obligation, 3) you were hurt, and 4) you have losses resulting from your accident.
To build your case, we will first:
Investigate Your Circumstances
We will speak to witnesses, visit the accident scene, review your medical records, and interview consultants to build your case. We will also consult economists to determine the overall value of your damages.
File Your Insurance Claim
Once we have all of the evidence we need, we will file your claim with the liable insurer. The insurer, in your case, could represent a small business, corporation, or homeowner. Ideally, they will accept your claim with no problems. However, if not, we will negotiate for the money you deserve.
Negotiate a Settlement
If the insurer denies your claim or undervalues your losses, we will present additional evidence showing that you were hurt and deserve compensation. During this process, you can expect your slip and fall accident lawyer to:
- Defend you against bad faith insurance practices
- Present documents to show the cost of your losses
- Highlight the liable policy and show where you are entitled to damages
Most cases end with insurance settlements. However, we are not afraid to file a lawsuit if negotiations do not work out.
File a Lawsuit
You typically have two years from the date of your accident to file your slip and fall accident lawsuit in Valley Stream, per CVP §214. To further your lawsuit in civil court, our team will:
- Abide by all courtroom procedures
- Complete the discovery phase of the litigation process
- Show the cost of your losses
- Cross-examine and interview witnesses
While all of this can seem overwhelming, you do not have to worry about going through this process on your own. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is on your side.
You Can Recover a Host of Damages Following a Slip-and-Fall Accident
The types of damages you can recover, as well as their values, will depend on the facts of your slip and fall case. You could be eligible to recover the following losses if you suffered a non-fatal injury:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Disability, dismemberment, disfigurement, and scarring
- Impaired quality of life
If you lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident and you qualify to file a wrongful death action, here are some losses you can seek:
- Loss of consortium
- Your loved one’s healthcare bills
- Funeral expenses (including cremation and the burial plot, if applicable)
- Loss of parental guidance and household services
You typically have two years to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit, according to EPT §5-4.1.
Commonly Asked Questions in Slip-and-Fall Accident Cases
If you have questions about your case’s potential, we have answers. Below we have compiled two questions that people often come to us with.
How Long will It Take to Settle Your Case?
It could take weeks, months, or even years to settle your case. Patience is one of your biggest assets during this trying time. That is because if you rush into accepting an offer from the insurance company, it may not be enough to pay for your damages.
Our team will keep your case moving forward and keep you updated on its progression.
What are “Bad Faith” Insurance Practices?
Some insurance companies are so focused on making money that they do not care about fairly paying claims. They may employ “bad faith” insurance practices to either stall the claims process or encourage you to drop your claim.
Some examples include:
- Denying you coverage without a valid reason why
- Making false promises
- Pressuring you into accepting an unfair settlement
- Refusing to answer you through phone calls or email
- Give you inconsistent information
We can handle the insurance company for you. You do not need to worry about identifying bad faith insurance practices because we will protect you against them.
Call the Attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
Our personal injury team wants to get to work on your case. To learn more about partnering with a slip and fall accident lawyer serving Valley Stream, call today.