Bicyclists are leery of motorists, and with good reason. You can use reflectors, helmets and hand signals. You can obey the traffic laws and do everything right. But you can still get hit by a driver who wasn’t paying attention.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Long Island bicycle accident lawyers have secured millions of dollars in compensation for people who have been seriously injured in all types of catastrophic accidents. When you choose our firm to represent you, you can trust that:
We bring a unique level of understanding to the injuries people suffer in bicycle accident cases. Richard Jaffe is a licensed EMT as well as an attorney. His experience providing trauma care to accident victims enables him to understand what you are going through and what your needs will be on the long road to recovery.
We provide personalized service and stay in constant communication with our injured clients. When we take on your case, law partners Stephen Cohen and Richard Jaffe will be working with you directly. You won’t be handed off to a paralegal or an assistant. We will even give you our cellphone number so you can reach us whenever you need to talk about your case.
We thoroughly investigate your accident and pursue maximum compensation. Our skilled bicycle accident lawyers will identify every possible liable party and fight for full and fair compensation. This could include going through the driver’s insurance, your own policy (for uninsured or hit-and-run drivers), or other parties such as the maker of a defective auto or bicycle part.
We are dedicated to connecting you with the support you need. In the immediate aftermath of your accident, our team will work to make sure you have a good doctor and the care you need to heal from your injuries. We will also work to get your bicycle repaired or replaced.
With more than a century of combined legal experience, our Long Island bicycle accident lawyers are committed to fighting for justice for those who have been hurt by careless drivers. Schedule a free case consultation with us today by calling or filling out our online contact form.
A Bike Accident Law Firm with Proven Results
Every bike accident case we handle is different. That’s one of the reasons we take the time to get to know our clients and listen to their stories. We believe that this type of personalized attention gives us the edge we need to fight for maximum compensation for you.
Some of the results our attorneys are most proud of include:
Our client was riding his bicycle the wrong way down a one-way street in Brooklyn when he was hit by a driver who failed to stop at a stop sign. The bicyclist suffered a fractured hand. The driver accused the cyclist of being intoxicated. However, at trial, Richard Jaffe discredited the defendant’s toxicologist expert through cross-examination. In the end, the jury rendered a verdict for our client in excess of $200,000.
While biking through a large, busy intersection in Queens, without the benefit of biking lanes, our client was hit by a pickup truck driver who was making a left turn. The bicyclist suffered a fractured ankle, requiring an extensive operation. Evidence seemed to indicate the driver had a green light. However, our firm was able to obtain the timing for the traffic signals at the intersection. With the help of an accident reconstruction expert, we defeated the motorists’ motion to dismiss the case and instead secured a settlement during opening statements.
Our client, an avid bicyclist, was cycling to work in the Bronx with the flow of traffic when a passenger in a taxi opened the cab’s door without looking, knocking the biker to the ground. The bicyclist suffered a fractured arm and scarring on his hand. The insurance carrier did not want to pay. However, at a binding arbitration, our firm established the taxi was responsible for the accident, and we obtained a decision for the full limits of the taxi cab’s insurance policy.
Because the circumstances surrounding every case are unique, it is impossible to predict how much compensation you could be entitled to without consultation from an experienced bicycle accident lawyer. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bike crash, we encourage you to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with our knowledgeable Long Island bicycle accident lawyer today. Call or fill out our online form to get started.
Common Causes of Long Island Bike Accidents
Cyclists throughout Long Island and New York City face unique and constant dangers. You share the road with automobile drivers who are paying attention to other cars, not bicycles. Blind spots and the difference in speed also play a part. But you have a right to use the road, too, and drivers are ultimately accountable if they run into you.
Our Long Island bike accident attorneys have extensive experience working with a variety of injured clients: those cycling for sport or exercise, people commuting by bike, bicycle messengers and children riding bikes.
Our bike accident lawyers are committed to holding drivers accountable when they are negligent by:
- Failing to yield when turning left – A driver may not make the effort to notice an oncoming cyclist when making a left turn. This can cause a devastating crash when the bicycle broadsides the turning vehicle or the motor vehicle hits the cyclist.
- Cutting off a cyclist when turning right – Careless motorists may not check their mirrors for a bicycle on their right before making a right-hand turn in front of the bicyclist. Some motorists may purposefully speed up to pass a bicycle only to make an abrupt turn across its path. The cyclist may not have time to brake before colliding with the turning vehicle.
- Changing lanes or drifting into a bike lane – Although bike lanes are designed to reduce collisions, many motorists fail to respect bicycle lanes. A motor vehicle that crosses the line into a bike lane can have serious consequences for cyclists.
- Slowing-and-going at a stop sign – Failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign is a common practice on Long Island. It’s also one that could set the stage for a serious bicycle accident.
- Opening a car door – Curbside parking is common in busy urban and suburban areas in Nassau County and Suffolk County. Many drivers and passengers in cars parked by the curb don’t make an effort to check for oncoming cyclists before opening a door into traffic. Cyclists can suffer serious personal injuries in a collision with an open car door.
- Following too close or tailgating – Tailgating is never a safe practice. It’s particularly dangerous when a motorist doesn’t allow enough space when following a bicycle. Whether it’s due to impatience or just carelessness, tailgating a bicycle can have tragic consequences if the bike must stop suddenly.
- Pulling out or backing out – Bicycle accidents frequently happen on Long Island when a motorist pulls out of a driveway or a small cross street without first checking for oncoming bikes. The issue is even worse when the driver is backing out. As in all driving situations, it is important for drivers to check for bicyclists as well as larger, four-wheeled vehicles.
- Speeding or aggressive driving – Speeding and aggressive driving present real risks for any type of traffic accident. Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable to aggressive drivers. Some motorists get angry with bicyclists and may exhibit road rage that could lead to a serious crash. Failure to slow down when approaching a cyclist is also risky.
- Distracted driving – A driver who is thinking about something other than traffic is a danger to everyone on the road – particularly people riding bicycles. Because bicycles are less visible than motor vehicles, they are more vulnerable to crashes caused by distracted drivers.
- Drunk driving – Motorists who are impaired by alcohol or other substances may lack the coordination and reflexes necessary to avoid a crash. They may not even notice a cyclist who is traveling near them. A drunk driver who fails to brake, swerve or take other evasive actions can cause a serious or even fatal bicycle accident.
No matter what caused your accident, any collision with a vehicle can lead to severe injuries that could impact your life for a long time to come. If you have been hurt, schedule a free case consultation with us today to discuss how we can help you pursue the compensation you need to recover from your injury.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer That Fights for Your Rights
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we know that injuries from bicycle accidents can be severe and disabling. We also know that cyclists often get blamed. We are here to help you get your life back on track and to fight for full and fair compensation. In these types of cases, our Long Island bicycle accident lawyers frequently demand:
- Payment for past and future medical bills
- Compensation for lost wages
- Payment for damage to your bike
- Compensation for the pain and suffering you have endured
If you have already been contacted by an insurance company: Do not sign anything or agree to a settlement without consulting with one of our attorneys. Insurance companies will try to push you into accepting a low settlement offer before you understand your rights. Their goal is to pay you as little as possible. Our goal is to pursue maximum compensation for you.
Call or contact us online to talk to one of our experienced Long Island attorneys today. We offer free consultations, including evening and weekend appointments. We handle bike accidents in Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900