Severe burns are among the worst injuries an individual can sustain due to the profound and unending suffering they often cause. The burn injury itself is excruciating. Treatment and rehab often seem unbearably painful. Long after the outer skin heals, the physical pain and emotional aftermath endure.
We Address the Physical and Psychological Scars
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we do everything we can to alleviate the pain and improve the quality of life for victims of burn injuries caused by the negligence of others. We aggressively pursue the long-term compensation required for medical care and replacement of earnings, plus damages for the personal toll on the victim and the family.
Personal injury, handled personally. Contact us today for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900
Types of Burns and Burn Injury Complications
Burns are often classified based on severity and depth. The classifications include:
- First degree – This type of burn affects only the outer layer of skin (epidermis), usually causing the skin to turn red and become very painful. A first-degree burn is dry in appearance, may look like a sunburn and generally takes about three to five days to heel.
- Second degree – A second-degree burn involves the entire epidermis, as well as part of the dermis (the part of the skin that contains blood capillaries, nerve endings, hair follicles and sweat glands). When this type of burn is of partial thickness, it is usually pink or red in color, extremely painful and will blanch when pressure is applied. If a second-degree burn is of full thickness, sensation in the area is often diminished and blanching will be almost non-existent. A second-degree burn may require grafting. When grafting is not required, typical healing time (with minimal scarring) is between 10-21 days.
- Third degree – Third-degree burns are some of the most severe, as a third-degree burn destroys not only all layers of the skin, but it can also extend into subcutaneous tissue. Burned areas will be dry and usually appear black and leathery in texture. Blanching is non-existent with this type of burn. Victims of third-degree burns rarely feel pain at the site of the burn due to the damage caused to nerves. Scarring will be present.
- Fourth degree – These are the most severe burns. All layers of skin are destroyed, and muscle, fat, tendons and even bones are usually damaged. Extensive skin grafts are typically required and victims are often left with some degree of impairment. Amputation of the affected area may be necessary.
Many burn victims experience complications from their injuries, depending on the severity of damage, percentage of body burned and a number of other factors. Burn victims can suffer complications including:
- Sepsis and other bacterial infections.
- Permanent scarring.
- Low blood volume (caused by damage blood vessels and fluid loss).
- Respiratory problems.
- Limited mobility of bones and joints.
Some burn injuries and complications are so severe that they prove fatal.
Long Island Burn Injuries Lawyer Near Me 516-358-6900
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
An individual can sustain severe burn injuries from a variety of causes. Some of the most common sources of burn injuries include:
- Workplace accidents (explosions, chemical burns, electrical burns).
- Car accidents (fires, explosions, chemical burns, steam burns).
- Premises liability (apartment fires, explosions, chemical spills, malfunctions in electrical systems, scalding water).
- Defective products.
Our legal team is skilled at identifying the preventable acts that resulted in a burn injury. For example, one client was badly injured by scalding water in a shower. Our investigation revealed that the apartment building’s water heater was set at too high a temperature, in strict violation of city building codes.
Comprehensive Compensation for Burn Injuries
Attorney Richard Jaffe is also an experienced EMT (emergency medical technician). He has treated burn victims and witnessed firsthand the horror and pain burns cause. As a personal injury attorney, he is familiar with the ongoing needs and profound impact of all types of severe burns.
Our legal team works closely with the family and doctors to build a case for damages, such as:
- Massive hospital bills.
- Skin grafts and reconstructive surgery.
- Physical therapy.
- Nursing care.
- Pain medications.
- Lost wages and projected earnings.
- Vocational rehabilitation.
- Psychological counseling.
- Nerve damage or reduced mobility.
- Scarring and disfigurement.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional trauma.
- Lost enjoyment of life.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact our Experienced Burn Injury Lawyers on Long Island Today
The long and painful recovery from burn injuries cannot be overstated. Children and adults alike are prone to nightmares, anxiety, depression and other post-traumatic effects, especially when they are in chronic pain or have been left severely disfigured.
We are here to assist with day-to-day legal issues and hardships that arise while we are pursuing long-term compensation for burn injury victims. Contact us at 866-895-0420 for a free consultation, or e-mail us and we will respond immediately. We make home and hospital visits.