Commercial vehicles, which may include delivery vans and other large vehicles, can pose a great risk to other vehicles. The degree of danger that these vehicles pose may be similar to that of semi-trucks and 18-wheelers. Even smaller commercial vehicles, such as courier vehicles and taxis, can cause serious accidents that result in severe injuries to innocent people.
If you’ve been hurt in a crash that was caused by the driver of a commercial vehicle, you have a right to compensation for your losses.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP has significant experience handling cases like yours. We understand what you are going through and are prepared to lead your case. Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced Long Island commercial vehicle accident attorney.
We are able to handle any type of commercial vehicle accident case, including those involving:
- Commercial and city buses
- School buses
- Delivery vans
- Semi-trucks and 18-wheelers
- Courier vehicles
- Moving trucks
- Garbage trucks
- Other commercial vehicles
What Makes Commercial Motor Vehicle Accidents Different?
The main complicating factor in an accident caused by the driver of a commercial vehicle is the fact that it happened “on the job.” The driver, injured victims, the driver’s employer, and other parties may all be involved in a resulting legal case. In some cases, the business that owns the commercial vehicle may be located out-of-state, further complicating matters.
Many commercial vehicles have the potential to do greater damage if they are heavy trucks carrying hazardous material or carrying multiple passengers. That’s why commercial vehicles are generally required to have comprehensive insurance coverage with high limits.
Even insurance claims related to commercial vehicle accidents can be complex. That’s why you may choose to hire your own advocate to stand up for your rights as a victim of a commercial vehicle accident.
Who May Be Responsible for a Crash Involving a Commercial Motor Vehicle?
Commercial drivers are required to know the rules of the road and operate their vehicles in a safe manner at all times. Responsibility for accidents varies according to the case.
The at-fault driver and the driver’s employer may be held responsible in many cases. However, other parties may be responsible for the accident, too, including:
- The company that leased the vehicle
- The company that owned or loaded the cargo
- The company that repaired or maintained the vehicle
- The manufacturer of a defective vehicle
To determine responsibility, we must carefully review evidence from your accident. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we have significant experience handling auto accident claims of all kinds, including those involving commercial vehicles on Long Island.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Commercial Vehicle Accident?
Our commercial vehicle accident lawyers will review your case carefully, identifying all losses resulting from your collision. We will consider both damages you’ve already suffered and damages that could emerge in the future. As we create a complete record of your losses, we may:
- Ask for your personal account of your losses
- Consult any loved ones who have insight into your losses
- Obtain facts and records from your doctors
- Bring in experts to review your case
With all the necessary information in our possession, we’ll assess your case. We want to ensure that you have all the financial coverage you need and that our evaluation will reflect these numbers. Recoverable damages in a commercial vehicle accident case may include:
- Pain and suffering: Large vehicles striking smaller vehicles, or even pedestrians, will generally cause pain and lost quality of life. We’ll work with doctors, counselors, and experts to understand—and assign a cost to—your pain and suffering.
- Professional losses: Your injuries may result in lost wages, lost earning power, missed opportunities for bonuses, benefits, promotions, and productivity. If your injuries are serious enough, you may be permanently disabled. Such losses can take a great financial and psychological toll on you and your loved ones.
- Medical costs: A lawsuit or insurance claim should cover all medical costs from your accident. From emergency transportation to X-rays, surgery, hospitalization, and rehabilitation, you should not have to pay for any healthcare costs resulting from another party’s negligence.
- Vehicle repairs and temporary transportation: If your vehicle sustained damage during your commercial vehicle accident, liable parties may cover all necessary repairs. They may have to replace your vehicle if it suffered total damage. While your vehicle is in the shop or you’re searching for a new vehicle, defendants may cover the cost of temporary transportation.
- Losses from a wrongful death: Recoverable damages in a wrongful death case may include funeral expenses, lost financial support, pain and suffering (for both the decedent and surviving loved ones), medical costs, and other damages.
It’s critical that your attorney identifies all of your losses and values them accurately. Our firm has checks and balances to ensure a thorough, correct valuation of your case.
Former Clients Explain How We Fight for Full Compensation
You should know that we have fought and won for accident victims like you:
- “[Attorney Richard Jaffe] has earned a reputation for treating all of his clients with courtesy and respect. I know this firsthand—as the attorney for my case, he obtained excellent results. The high standards and passion he displayed was very evident, yet not to the point of being overbearing.” – Carly, former client
- “Mr. Jaffe has represented me on numerous occasions over the past dozen years, all with successful outcomes. Knowledgeable, professional, diligent. Aggressive in pursuing cases to completion, while managing to be courteous and empathetic to my family and me.” – Ed, former client
We pursue justice for those who most need our help. Our Long Island commercial vehicle accident lawyers are ready to do the same for you.
How Our Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyers in Long Island, NY Can Help You Seek Compensation
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we have the resources to fully investigate your accident. We will find out what really happened and who is responsible. We are prepared to pursue all available avenues toward financial recovery.
We are committed to securing full damages from all liable parties. Before you talk to an insurance adjuster, call our Long Island law firm or contact us online. Our commercial vehicle accident attorneys offer free consultations at all times.
For a free legal consultation with a commercial vehicle accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.
Office InformationAddress Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
2001 Marcus Ave W295 New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA