New York is a very busy state, and because of that, car accidents—including hit-and-run accidents—are extremely common. Although the advent of technology like cell phones has made catching perpetrators of hit-and-run accidents easier, being victimized by a hit-and-run driver is still far too common.
Most hit-and-run drivers are those who are uninsured, unlicensed, driving a stolen vehicle, drunk, or under the influence of some type of mood-altering substance. Regardless of the reason for your hit-and-run, you as the victim have rights. If you’ve been injured by a hit-and-run driver or if a loved one has been injured or killed, contact a Long Island hit-and-run accident attorney’s team from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to discuss your case.
Hit-and-Run Laws in New York
You should know that it’s absolutely illegal for anyone to run after they’ve hit someone. The law requires motorists to stop and provide whatever assistance they can (as well as to call for help) if they hit someone with their vehicle. If you’re the victim of someone who hit you and then ran, you may pursue a personal injury case. You may receive compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, living expenses, and other accident-related losses. If you’re permanently disabled as a result of the accident, you may be able to collect compensation for that, too.
Curbside Bus Injuries Are on the Rise
Unfortunately, there’s a high rate of fatal bus accidents involving the curbside bus industry, which is a particular type of hit-and-run accident. Usually, the drivers involved in these accidents are working for small, inexpensive bus lines. Nevertheless, these companies may be liable for their drivers’ hit-and-run accidents.
What a Long Island Hit and Run Accident Attorney from Our Team Can Do for You
Our firm tailors our legal approach to each client. We will determine your needs by:
- Speaking with you about your account of the accident, your damages, and other aspects of your case
- Speaking with loved ones who have seen your losses up close
- Working with your doctors to understand your injuries
- Asking if you have any requests of our team—like contacting you a certain way or providing updates at certain times
Our hit and run lawyers in Long Island, NY are dedicated to your satisfaction. We will handle your case with empathy, attentiveness, and a personal touch. Our clear goal in any case is to win. We generally pursue victory by:
- Identifying all liable parties: A motorist may generally be the liable party in a hit-and-run case. We never assume liability, though, and will gather all relevant details before we identify defendants in your case.
- Gathering all evidence that can help your case: Evidence is critical in any legal case or insurance claim. Our team will gather the police report from your accident, which may explain how the collision occurred. We may also gather a police report related to the specific act of fleeing the scene of your accident. Other useful evidence could include video footage, witness accounts, photographs of property damage, and accident reconstruction data.
- Composing and following a plan for your case: Legal approaches in hit-and-run cases can be unusually complicated. The approach to your case may depend on whether the hit-and-run driver is found. We may explore all options in your case, from an insurance claim to a lawsuit.
- Seeking a fair settlement: Settlements are one way that we obtain justice for our clients. We will negotiate with insurance companies or other attorneys. We’ll exchange evidence, explain our calculation of your losses, and fight for the recovery you deserve.
- Hiring third parties who can help your case: Experts can be a compelling resource in a hit-and-run case. We can hire any experts—in medicine, economics, accident reconstruction, or other relevant fields—who will make your case stronger.
Long Island personal injury attorneys also serve you by handling all case-related expenses. You will pay us nothing up front. When case-related costs arise, we will take care of them. Any experts we hire or costs that we face will not add to our fee—this remains the same regardless of how your case unfolds.
Testimonials From Past Clients
Our previous clients can attest to our commitment to service. Consider the following reviews we’ve received:
- “Mr. Jaffe is truly professional and highly knowledgeable. He was always accessible for any questions or concerns I had. He showed true compassion for what I was going through, I highly recommend Mr. Jaffe.” –Catherine
- “I was involved in a car accident and from the beginning Steven Tiger and Rich Jaffe were there for me no matter what I needed. They were a great support. The results of my case were above my expectations and a direct result of their hard work and tireless efforts. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs a personal injury lawyer.” –Lynda
Do Not Wait to Hire Our Firm
New York may place a deadline on your case. CVP § 214 generally allows you three years to file a personal injury lawsuit against the liable parties in your case. If your loved one passed away in a hit-and-run case, EPT § 5-4.1 generally grants you two years to file your case.
Insurance claims may also have certain deadlines. Even if these deadlines do not apply to your case, there is no need to wait to get legal help. You may have mounting expenses, and we are ready to start your case. The sooner you contact our firm, the quicker we may begin working on your case.
Contact a Long Island Hit and Run Lawyer For Help
If you’ve been the victim of a hit-and-run, there is hope. Your Long Island personal injury lawyer will review your case to make sure they know all the details. Your Long Island hit and run accident attorney from our firm will not charge you anything upfront, but instead will collect a portion of your settlement or award as compensation.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a hit-and-run accident, the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can handle your claim. We represent clients throughout Nassau County, Queens County, Suffolk County, and New York. We have collected millions for our clients and we can fight for you, too. We invite you to contact us today so that we can evaluate your hit-and-run accident claim and provide an estimate of the value of your claim.
For a free legal consultation with a hit and run accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.
Office InformationAddress Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
2001 Marcus Ave W295 New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA