The Insurance Information Institute reports that about 13 percent of the nation’s drivers are uninsured. In many New York car accidents, the negligent driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the victim’s losses or carries no auto insurance at all. Sometimes a negligent driver will leave the scene before the victim can ask for insurance information. In either case, the victim is left with serious injuries and property damage – and no one to hold accountable. However, this does not mean that victims have no recourse to seek compensation.
If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can seek compensation for your losses from your own insurance company. However, these types of cases can be difficult. Although you pay hundreds of dollars (or more) in insurance premiums every year, your insurance company may try to find a way to deny your claim or pay you less than you deserve. Don’t let them get away with it. A Long Island uninsured or underinsured motorist attorney can help you seek compensation. Talk to the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP about your UM/UIM coverage case. Contact us today for a free consultation.
About UM/UIM Claims in Long Island Car Accidents
According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the minimum liability insurance requirements are:
- $10,000 for property damage for a single accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death benefits for one person injured or killed in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for the death of two or more people injured or killed in an accident
If you are seriously injured in an accident that was caused by another driver, you may be entitled to file a claim to recover compensation for your damages. Unfortunately, in many cases, the other driver’s policy limits may not be sufficient to cover your damages. If this occurs, you may file a claim under the underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) of your own policy.
In cases where the other driver has no insurance coverage at all or in hit-and-run accidents, you may file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage (UM).
New York drivers are required by law to purchase UM coverage. The required coverage limits are $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. For your own protection, it may be advisable to carry more than the minimum coverage required by law.
Why Hire an Attorney After an Accident With an Uninsured Motorist?
Hiring an attorney after a car accident is, in our view, best practice. When you’re involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, a lawyer’s help can be even more beneficial.
You may run into many challenges because of the facts of your case, including:
- Lack of adequate insurance coverage for the losses you’ve experienced
- Pushback from your insurance company regarding the coverage you deserve
- Claims that you’re at fault for your accident
- Difficult decisions about how to pursue the compensation you’re entitled to
Dealing with even a simple insurance claim can be trying, especially when you’ve suffered injuries or lost a loved one. When your insurance claim or lawsuit involves an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it can be substantially more complicated. Therefore, trying to handle your case after your accident may not be the best decision for you.
Handling an uninsured or underinsured motorist case without an attorney’s help may compromise your health. The mental and physical requirements of your case may lead to fatigue, stress, and worsening of your injuries. While you attend to your case, you could have less time to see doctors, receive treatment, and tend to your injuries.
Our Fee Structure Makes Legal Help Affordable
Someone might not hire a lawyer because they believe the cost is high. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we ensure that no client goes without representation because of financial reasons. We use a contingency-fee structure, which means that:
- There is no upfront fee when you hire our firm.
- You don’t pay any case-related expenses—we hire experts, handle day-to-day costs, and pay any other case-related expenses.
- We only receive a fee if we secure compensation for you—we get a portion of your recovery, and don’t get any compensation directly from you.
- Your personal financial risk is non-existent.
Testimonials From Our Past Clients
Our firm believes that victims of negligence deserve justice. Your financial status should never be a barrier to legal representation. We have helped many clients, many of whom show gratitude for our brand of legal help:
- “If you ever have any doubts about your current lawyer and would like to see what a real law firm is supposed to be, then I highly recommend this firm. From start to finish, Richard Jaffe, Stephen Tiger, and the whole staff genuinely care about you and your family, and whatever else is important to you. Richard took the time to explain everything and answered all my questions in a way I can understand and feel comfortable with.” – Do Chang, former client
- “I have known Richard Jaffe for approximately 15 years both on a professional and personal level. I have always found him to be dedicated to his profession. He has earned a reputation for treating all of his clients with courtesy and respect. I know this firsthand – as the attorney for my case, he obtained excellent results. The high standards and passion he displayed was very evident, yet not to the point of being overbearing.” – Carly, former client
Our firm works hard to satisfy every client who we represent.
Hire a Car Accident Lawyer to Be on Your Side
If your insurance company refuses to pay on a legitimate claim, you have the right to take legal action to enforce the terms of your policy. We understand how intimidating it can be to file a lawsuit against your own insurance company. However, not taking action is exactly what the insurance company is hoping you will do.
Many people fear that their policies will be canceled if they sue to protect their rights. State and federal laws provide specific protections against this type of behavior by insurers. We can help you take the necessary steps to collect the money you need to recover from your injuries. We will be there with you every step of the way and see your case through to its conclusion.
Call Us Today for a Free Consultation
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we address your most urgent issues, such as medical treatment, car repairs, and dealing with insurance adjusters. Meanwhile, we act swiftly and diligently, seeking to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries and losses.
Your personal injury should be handled personally. Contact us today for a free consultation. We help injured car accident victims with UM/UIM claims on Long Island and nearby areas, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured or underinsured motorists accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.