Rear-end collisions may seem minor at first. However, an ache in your neck or back soon after an accident may develop into a more serious and painful medical problem over time. After a rear-end collision, it is important that you receive the medical attention and support you need to recover from your injuries.
The Long Island car accident lawyers at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, understand the effect a neck, back or other serious injury can have on your life, both physically and financially. Our attorneys work diligently to pursue the compensation our clients need after suffering serious injuries in rear-end collisions on Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County and Queens.
Get the advice and representation you need if you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. Contact us now for a free consultation and discussion about your legal options.
Common Causes of Rear-End Collisions
Most rear-end collisions result from the negligence or inattention of the driver behind. Examples of common causes of rear-end accidents include:
- Tailgating – Drivers who follow too closely do not allow enough room in case the driver in front is forced by traffic or road conditions to stop or slow suddenly. This is particularly dangerous at highway speeds.
- Speeding – The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more time and distance it needs to stop. Drivers who are speeding may not have sufficient time to react and avoid a rear-end collision.
- Distracted driving – Texting, talking on cell phones or any kind of distraction can take a driver’s attention off the road and the traffic ahead, leading to a rear-end accident.
- Drunk driving – It is a well-known fact that driving under the influence of alcohol can slow reaction time, impair driving decisions and cause accidents, including rear-end collisions.
- Drowsy driving – Drivers who are fatigued may become inattentive or fall asleep at the wheel and collide with the vehicle ahead.
- Drugged driving – Illegal drugs and over-the-counter medications can impair driving skills as effectively as alcohol. The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that marijuana slows reaction time, decreases motor coordination and impairs judgment of time and distance, which can cause rear-end accidents.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900
Common Injuries in Rear-End Collisions
Perhaps the most common injury suffered in rear-end collisions is whiplash, named for the whip-like motion of the head and neck when a vehicle is struck from behind. According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of whiplash include neck pain and stiffness, pain worsening with movement of the neck, loss of range of motion, pain and tenderness in the shoulders, upper back, or arms, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and numbness or tingling in the arms.
Although many people who suffer whiplash will recover within a few months’ time, complications may arise, as reported by the Mayo Clinic. Some accident victims may continue to experience debilitating pain for years after the accident occurred.
Other common injuries in rear-end collisions include:
- Back injuries
- Head and facial injuries
- Hand, arm, wrist and finger injuries
- Injuries from seatbelts
Long Island Rear-End Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-358-6900
Presumption of Fault in Rear-End Accidents
A well-known presumption of fault exists in rear-end collisions. The driver that rear-ends the lead vehicle is presumed to be negligent and responsible for the accident.
However, the presumption can be overcome in certain circumstances. For example, a driver who fails to perform mirror and head checks before switching lanes and darts directly into the path of another vehicle could be determined to be at fault for the resulting rear-end collision.
Experienced Long Island Auto Injury Lawyers
Personal injury attorneys at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP have a successful track record of helping clients who have sustained serious whiplash and other soft-tissue damage in rear-end collisions recover the compensation they deserve. We also help clients with back injuries and chronic pain, and injuries sustained in all types of motor vehicle accidents. No matter what injuries you have suffered, our dedicated legal team is ready to fight to help you pursue compensation to cover your past and future medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses.
To recover full and fair compensation for your injuries, you will need to work with an attorney who has experience handling insurance issues and bringing personal injury claims. Our attorneys have both. We can deal with insurance companies on your behalf so you can focus on your recovery. We can thoroughly investigate the circumstances that led to your rear-end collision and will aggressively seek full compensation from any liable party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Long Island Accident Attorney
Speak with a lawyer at Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP about your rear-end accident and injuries. Call us or contact us online now for a free consultation. We respond to messages as soon as possible, and our lawyers can come to you if you are in the hospital or unable to travel.