Rear-end collisions may seem minor at first. However, an ache in your neck or back soon after an accident may develop into a more serious and painful medical problem over time. After a rear-end collision, it is important that you receive the medical attention and support you need to recover from your injuries.
The Long Island car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP understand the effects a neck, back, or other serious injury can have on your life, both physically and financially. Our attorneys work diligently to pursue the compensation our clients need after suffering serious injuries in rear-end collisions on Long Island. Get advice and representation if you were injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. Contact us now for a free consultation to discuss your legal options.
Common Causes of Rear-End Collisions
Most rear-end collisions result from the negligence or inattention of a driver. Some common causes of rear-end accidents include:
- Tailgating – Drivers who follow too closely do not allow enough room in case of an abrupt stop. This is particularly dangerous at highway speeds.
- Speeding – The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more time and distance it needs to stop. Drivers who are speeding may not have sufficient time to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Distracted driving – Texting, talking on cell phones, or any other kind of distraction can take a driver’s attention off the road and the traffic ahead, leading to a rear-end accident.
- Drunk driving – It is well-known that driving under the influence of alcohol can slow reaction times, impair driving decisions, and cause accidents, including rear-end collisions.
- Drowsy driving – Drivers who are fatigued may become inattentive or fall asleep at the wheel and collide with the vehicle ahead.
- Drugged driving – Illegal drugs and over-the-counter medications can impair driving skills as seriously as alcohol. The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that marijuana slows reaction times, decreases motor coordination, and impairs judgment of time and distance, which can cause rear-end accidents.
Common Injuries in Rear-End Collisions
Perhaps the most common injury suffered in rear-end collisions is whiplash, named for the whip-like motion of the head and neck when a vehicle is struck from behind. According to Mayo Clinic, symptoms of whiplash include: neck pain and stiffness; pain worsening with movement of the neck; loss of range of motion; pain and tenderness in the shoulders, upper back, or arms; headaches; fatigue; dizziness; and numbness or tingling in the arms.
Although many people who suffer whiplash will recover within a few months’ time, complications may arise. Some accident victims may continue to experience debilitating pain for years after their accident occurs.
Other common injuries in rear-end collisions include:
- Back injuries
- Head and facial injuries
- Hand, arm, wrist, and finger injuries
- Injuries from seatbelts
Presumption of Fault in Rear-End Accidents
A well-known presumption of fault exists in rear-end collisions. The driver that rear-ends the lead vehicle is presumed to be negligent and responsible for the accident.
However, the presumption can be overcome in certain circumstances. For example, a driver who fails to perform mirror and head checks before switching lanes and darts directly into the path of another vehicle could be at fault for the resulting rear-end collision.
Recoverable Compensation in a Long Island Rear-End Accident
Each client we represent experiences different losses. While we can’t say what your losses are without speaking with you first, we see common damages such as:
- Medical expenses: The medical cost of injuries can rise quickly. Medical costs in wrongful death cases can be substantial, too. We may get coverage for all of your accident-related medical expenses. This may include the cost of emergency transportation, medical imaging, surgery, hospitalization, doctors’ visits, and any other healthcare needs.
- Property damage: A rear-end collision may cause significant damage to your vehicle. Your financial recovery may include compensation to repair or replace your vehicle. You may also get coverage for property damaged in your accident.
- Professional losses: Your involvement in a rear-end collision may lead to lost wages, lost retirement benefits, lost chances for promotions, and other professional losses. Our team will determine the dollar value of these losses and seek appropriate compensation.
- Pain and suffering: Though it is a non-economic loss, pain and suffering is a reality that many rear-end accident victims experience. We can seek coverage for any trauma, anxiety, depression, lost quality of life, and other symptoms that stem from your rear-end collision.
Our team is committed to a full recovery for you. We will identify your losses with help from you, your loved ones, doctors, and experts. We take your damages seriously and will settle for nothing less than a fair settlement or judgment.
Experienced Long Island Auto Injury Lawyers
The Long Island personal injury attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP have a successful track record of helping clients who have sustained serious whiplash and other soft-tissue damage in rear-end collisions. We work to recover the compensation our clients deserve.
We also help clients with back injuries, chronic pain, and injuries sustained in all types of motor vehicle accidents. No matter what injuries you have suffered, our dedicated legal team is ready to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our attorneys have both experience handling insurance issues and bringing personal injury claims. We can deal with insurance companies on your behalf so you can focus on your recovery. We can thoroughly investigate the circumstances that led to your rear-end collision and will aggressively seek compensation from any liable party.
Consider the Words of Our Past Clients
Our firm stands behind our claims. When we say that we will fight tenaciously for you, we mean it. However, it is important that you hear the words of our former clients, too:
- After being hit by a driver going through a stop sign, I believed there was nothing I could do. I didn’t think it was worth going to an attorney since I’ve only had bad experiences with them. A friend recommended that I at least speak to the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe. It was the best move I ever made. They immediately went into action and settled my case without me having to do anything but get to my doctor appointments. They called and kept me informed, which was a big plus to me. Everyone I dealt with was professional and caring. A tough combination to find.” – Dorothy, former client
- “From my personal experience, this firm is one of the best. They take care of your stress and worries. You can feel comfortable to ask them questions at any time. They’re always there for any help. The lawyers explain every detail and they have a wonderful staff. Will keep recommending them to my friends and family.” – Celeste, former client
- “I can’t begin to find the words to describe how beyond grateful I am to have found this law firm. My attorney Richard Jaffe was spectacular. He was able to help me and keep my mind at ease. I live two states away and he went above and beyond to answer all my question quickly and was easy to get a hold of. Thank you so much. I highly recommend giving him a call.” – George, former client
Expect nothing less than hard work and empathy from our firm.
Contact a Long Island Accident Attorney’s Team
Speak with a lawyer at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today about your rear-end accident and injuries. Call us or contact us online now for a free consultation. We respond to messages as soon as possible, and our lawyers can come to you if you are in the hospital or unable to travel.
For a free legal consultation with a rear-end accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900