After pioneering a string of personal injury cases on Long Island and in the New York City metropolitan area involving lead paint poisoning of infants, Richard’s reputation would be well known enough as a fierce trial attorney and litigator. But he didn’t stop there. In fact, Richard has managed to secure several multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements throughout his 20 years of experience, which has earned him membership in many prestigious circles, such as the nation’s Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
But that’s just the public story. When he’s not in front of a jury, behind the scenes, Richard volunteers his time as a Critical Care Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-CC) and Firefighter on Long Island. And Richard can often be found on Long Island basketball courts and sports fields volunteering as a coach for basketball and lacrosse. Smart, confident, entertaining, fully committed, energetic, and caring, he is, perhaps, the world’s worst (but most enthusiastic) dancer, and the start and finish of every family function.
Richard was born and raised in New York, as were his parents and grandparents all who forged his incredibly strong work ethic and tenacity. To his credit, he paid for both college and Law school tuition by working during the hours he was not studying. As a graduate of Binghamton University with a degree in Romance Languages and Literature, Richard is fluent in Spanish and has a working knowledge of five other languages. His history of helping victims of discrimination and negligence dates back as far as 1988, giving the Hispanic community a voice working as a paralegal in a major personal injury law firm.
Richard met his current law partner, Stephen Cohen, in 1993. Working as a Law clerk by day and completing Law School by night, Richard authored memoranda and appellate briefs on negligence and discrimination issues that continue to be cited by New York State’s highest courts to this day. Upon graduation from Law School, Richard became an associate attorney with Cohen’s Law Office, and began a trial the very first day he was admitted to practice. Richard hasn’t looked back since. He has obtained hundreds of verdicts and settlements for victims of accidents and discrimination throughout courts of Long Island and the New York City metropolitan area, many in excess of one million dollars. He and Stephen Cohen are now partners at Cohen & Jaffe. Nonetheless, Richard hasn’t forgotten his New York roots, nor his blue collar formative years. He is thankful for the opportunities and core values given to him by his family, which serve as the backbone of his fight for the rights of his clients against insurance giants like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO, to name a few. Call Richard. He will do the same for you.
Whether your life is shattered by a car accident, a trip and fall, a construction accident, or discrimination at work, Richard knows it’s more than just a case for you – it’s about putting your life and the lives of your family back together.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Employment Law
- Insurance Liability
- Products Liability
- Lead Paint Poisoning
- Municipal Liability
- New York, 1995
- District of Columbia, 1995
- New Jersey, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New Jersey
- Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Huntington, New York
- SUNY Binghamton
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Laura Slattery, respondent, v. Sachem North High School, et al., appellants. 2014 NY Slip Op. 01310. Order affirmed, with costs. Case involved “trivial defect” doctrine.
- Kenneth Memminger, Plaintiff-Respondent, v. Nelson Gardens, Inc., et al., Defendants-Appellants, F&A Contracting Corp., Defendant, 14 A.D.3d 442; 787 N.Y.S.2d 870 (N.Y. App. Div. 2005)
- Lorenzo Gonzalez et al., Appellants, v. City of New York et al., Respondents, 286 A.D.2d 706; 730 N.Y.S.2d 154 (N.Y. App. Div. 2001)
Honors and Awards
- Listed as 2016 New York Metro Super Lawyers
- Marquis Who’s Who in America
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World
- AV Peer Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Lifetime Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Inns of Court
- Certified Brain Injury Specialist by the ACBIS
Lake Success, New York
516-358-6900 (Toll Free)