A Hempstead car accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation if you or a loved one was injured in a collision. When you team up with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we can itemize the cost of your expenses, file your insurance claim or lawsuit, and protect your right to fair compensation.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for a free consultation. We can tell you more about your options to seek compensation.
Compensable Losses in a Hempstead Car Accident
You may be able to get financial recovery for your damages through negotiations with the liable insurance company. However, some insurers do not extend fair settlement offers to injured claimants. If this happens in your car accident case, then your legal team can file a lawsuit and argue your case before a judge.
Through a civil lawsuit, you may be able to recover the following types of damages:
- Medical bills. You may be able to recover the cost of your health care expenses, including compensation for surgical procedures, medications, hospital stays, medical appointments, and physical therapy.
- Lost income. You can request compensation for the missed wages, tips, bonuses, and employee benefits you missed due to your condition.
- Diminished earning capacity. If you had to change jobs due to your injuries and now make less money as a result, you can include these losses into the value of your claim.
- Pain and suffering. You may be able to recover monetary compensation for your physical pain and emotional suffering. A lawyer from our team can explain how this expense is calculated.
Our injury lawyers believe that no collision-related loss should go unaccounted for. You can call our legal team today to find out more.
A Lawyer from Our Team Will Handle Your Hempstead Case
Right now, you might have a lot on your mind. You may be having trouble living independently. Your week might revolve around doctors’ appointments and going to physical therapy. Yet, when you work with a car accident lawyer serving Hempstead, they can take on as much of the legal process as they possibly can.
A lawyer from our team can handle your case for compensation in its entirety, which could include:
- Collecting evidence
- Hiring experts to testify on your behalf
- Interviewing witnesses
- Filing all paperwork
- Handling all claim or lawsuit-related correspondence
- Calculating your losses
- Negotiating a settlement
- Completing a trial
We will tailor our legal services to meet the particular needs of your situation. For that reason, we may extend services that are not included on this list.
There Is Limited Time to File Suit in an Injury Case
We may advise you that we need to seek compensation for your losses through a lawsuit. The clock is ticking on the timeline to file suit, however.
You typically have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit in New York, per Civil Practice Law and Rules (CVP) §214(4). Although there may be exceptions to this deadline, we advise that you get started on your case sooner rather than later to protect your legal options.
Why Choose the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for Your Car Accident Case?
If you choose to work with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, you can work with a team that brings more than a century of combined experience.
What’s more, our founding partner, Richard Jaffe, is a trained EMT who has a first-hand understanding of serious injury and its consequences on victims’ lives. Our team will fight to seek what you deserve to recover after the accident.
We will also:
- Take your case on a contingency-fee basis: We perform all of these services (and more) on a contingency-fee basis. You do not need to have any concerns about the cost of legal representation because we do not charge you our attorney’s fees unless we get money for you and your family.
- Provide you with a lawyer’s phone number: You will receive Richard Jaffe’s phone number so you can get your questions answered promptly.
- Help you seek the medical care you need: If you need help finding a doctor, we can assist you with the process.
- Help with other daily aspects of your case: We can also help you get your vehicle repaired, among other tasks associated with your accident.
- Go to you if you can’t come to us: If your travel is limited because of your injuries, we can meet with you to get started with your case.
Standards for Liability in a Car Accident
Your car accident lawyer serving Hempstead will need to build your case in accordance with the American Bar Association’s (ABA) guidelines. They will also need to assert how another party’s negligence caused your accident and injuries.
One or more parties responsible for your losses could be at fault according to the standards of:
- Strict liability
- Intentional wrongdoing
Each of these standards may have different thresholds of proof. For instance, if you were injured by the actions of another motorist, you may be able to hold them responsible for your damages under the legal principle of negligence. However, if you were injured by a faulty vehicular component, you may be able to hold the manufacturer of the part or parts accountable under the principle of strict liability.
One of our car accident lawyers in Hempstead will work to show how another party’s actions resulted in your collision, injuries, and financial damages. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today for a free consultation. When you call us, we can go into further detail regarding the types of services we provide.
Forms of Negligence That Can Lead to Hempstead Car Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) asserts that human error is responsible for causing approximately 94% of all motor vehicle accidents. Motorists can cause a car accident in any number of ways but may generally do so through careless or reckless behaviors.
Motorists may also cause an accident by failing to take necessary precautions. For example, if a driver does not properly secure cargo in or on their vehicle, and this hazard causes an accident, they can be held accountable for any resulting damages.
Motorists may also cause accidents through actions such as:
- Driving under the influence of illicit substances
- Driving while tired
- Driving while emotionally agitated, which could lead to road rage or other impulsive decisions
- Making dangerous turns
- Ignoring traffic signals, such as red lights
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Driving on prohibited sections of a roadway
- Driving above the posted speed limit
- Engaging in distracted driving
Yet, the at-fault party in your case may not necessarily be another motorist. Depending on the circumstances of your Hempstead motor vehicle accident, you may be able to hold a negligent government municipality or parts manufacturer accountable for your losses.
More Than One Party May Be Liable in Your Case
When you work with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we can identify all potential avenues of recovering compensation. We may be able to hold more than one party financially responsible for your damages.
Steps You Can Take to Build Your Case After an Accident
In the days, weeks, and months to follow a car accident, you can take several steps to help protect your case as you consider your legal options.
We recommend that you:
- Gather evidence for your own evidence file: If possible, you can gather contact information from witnesses to the accident. You can also get a copy of your accident report through the Nassau County Police Department.
- Avoid giving a recorded statement to an insurer: If you’re contacted soon after the accident and an insurance company asks you to make a recorded statement, we suggest that you avoid making any comment that could be used against you in a claim. You can let our team handle communications with an insurer for you.
- Get the medical care you need: Seek the care required to treat your injuries and continue with needed care. If you stop seeing your doctor after you’ve been advised to do so, it could be argued that you made your injuries worse.
Get in Touch with Our Team Today
You do not have to fight for justice and compensation on your own after a Hempstead car accident. A car accident lawyer will make it their goal to secure a fair financial outcome for you or a loved one.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 for a free consultation about how we may serve you after a collision.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.