If a driver’s negligence led to your injuries in a bicycle accident, a Hempstead bicycle accident lawyer from our firm can help defend your rights. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we can help you pursue compensation to address your medical costs, property damage, and other losses.
Forms of Compensation You May be Able to Seek After a Bicycle Accident
If you were hit by a car while on your bicycle, you may have faced devastating injuries—and you could seek many forms of compensation as a result. Depending on the details of your case and the severity of your injuries, you could pursue compensation for the following costs and losses:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs (such as surgeries, hospitalization, emergency room care, visits to a doctor, physical therapy, medications, and more)
- Property damage costs (including the cost to repair or replace your bicycle)
- Lost wages (reflecting your past and future lost wages related to the accident)
How an Attorney Can Help With Your Case
If you were involved in an accident with the driver of a passenger vehicle, you may be entitled to pursue compensation from their auto insurance company. Should you decide to enlist the help of our attorneys here at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we will walk you through the insurance claims process and handle many of the tasks for you.
In addition, our lawyers will:
- Help you understand how an insurance claim or lawsuit process works
- Determine how much compensation you could seek
- Identify the liable party or parties in your case
- Gather important evidence to pursue an insurance claim on your behalf
- Handle communications with an insurance company
- Negotiate for a fair settlement
We Can Gather Evidence for Your Case
Pursuing compensation will likely require that we gather evidence to show that you were injured by the liable party. We will also work to link the liable party’s reckless or careless actions to your injuries. We can gather evidence from the following sources:
- Eyewitness statements
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Expert testimony, including testimony from your doctors
- Dashboard camera footage, if available
- Video from the accident scene, if available
We will collect compelling evidence for a claim or lawsuit to help fight for the best possible outcome for your case.
We Can Communicate and Negotiate With the Insurance Companies for You
A Hempstead bicycle accident lawyer from our firm can handle all the necessary communication with an insurance company for you. You don’t have to respond to phone calls, mail, or any other form of contact with the insurance company. You can leave this to us.
After your accident, an insurance company may try to:
- Argue that your injuries aren’t as severe as they are
- Claim that you contributed to or caused the accident
- Offer you a low settlement amount
- Ask you to make a recorded statement about the accident
We will be able to take over this communication for you so that you don’t say anything that could be used against you during the claims process. We can also negotiate for fair compensation on your behalf, presenting evidence of the liable party’s negligence as well as the severity of your injuries.
We Can Identify the Liable Parties in Your Bicycle Accident Case
A key to determining your compensation and who is liable stems from who caused the accident and why it occurred. Potentially liable parties include:
- A passenger vehicle driver
- A rideshare driver
- A truck driver
- Another commercial driver
- And other possible parties
If your accident involved a commercial driver or truck driver who was working at the time of your accident, it is possible that the driver’s employer could be liable for your accident. However, if you were hit by a rideshare driver, you may be eligible to seek compensation through the rideshare company’s policy only under certain conditions.
Determining liability for an accident can be complicated. Fortunately, a Hempstead bicycle accident lawyer from our firm will be able to handle all of this for you. We can manage the legal details while you focus on recovering.
Your Time to Take Legal Action is Limited
New York, like all other states, has a time limit for you to take legal action against another party. According to New York Civil Practice Law and Rules (CVP) §214, you typically have three years to file a lawsuit against the liable party. If you attempt to file a lawsuit after the statute of limitations has expired, your case could be thrown out.
Contact an Attorney Today for a Free Case Review
If you were injured after a bicycle accident in Hempstead, the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you understand the laws that protect you and how they can be exercised. The lawyers at our firm have secured six-figure settlements for bicycle accident victims. We can work hard to seek fair compensation for your case, too.
To learn more about our firm and how we have helped bicycle accident victims like you pursue compensation, contact us today for a free consultation at (516) 358-6900.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-358-6900