Dealing with a serious injury after a bicycle accident can be overwhelming. You may need rehabilitation after the initial treatment of your injuries. You may have to be out of work for a period of time and face uncertainty about how to pay the medical bills. If someone else caused your bicycle accident injuries, you need to have a bike accident lawyer review the situation and discuss your legal options.
Riding a bike should be safe. When a reckless driver or negligent business harms you, you have every right to hold the irresponsible driver accountable and seek justice and full compensation.
Our experienced Hempstead bike accident attorneys at Cohen & Jaffe, LLP. know how to hold those at fault liable for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You should not be stuck with thousands of dollars of medical debt from an accident caused by someone else’s negligence.
What Are the Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hempstead, NY?
According to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, about 50 New Yorkers are killed in bicycle crashes a year, and over 2,000 New York State bicyclists are injured. Those statistics are startling. There are many kinds of bicycle accidents, and too many happen on Hempstead’s 1,200 miles of roadways.
Bike crashes frequently are caused by distracted, reckless, or inattentive drivers. Sometimes, they’re caused by poor road maintenance or other environmental factors. Regardless of what caused your crash, if you’re injured in a bike crash you may need an experienced bike accident injury lawyer to help prove the at-fault party owes you financial compensation for harming you.
Some common causes of Hempstead, NY bike accidents include:
- Improper passing —Automobile drivers who leave too little room when passing or improperly crowd a cyclist may cause a rider to crash.
- Distracted driving—Texting, talking on the phone, or other activities that distract may cause a motorist not to see an approaching bicyclist and lead to a serious bicycle car collision.
- Dooring—Drivers often fail to check for approaching traffic before they open their car doors. A car door that suddenly swings open can hit a passing bicyclist who is riding in the adjacent lane and cause a crash.
- Drunk or impaired driving—Alcohol and other drugs affect drivers’ coordination and ability to operate their vehicle safely and respond to hazardous traffic situations. An impaired driver may fail to see a bicyclist in time to avoid hitting the rider. Every bicycle accident caused by a drunk driver is a preventable accident and the intoxicated motorist should be held accountable.
- Sudden lane changes—Drivers who disregard traffic laws and make sudden lane changes without signaling put cyclists at risk of a collision.
- Failure to yield or stop—Bicyclists have a right to use the roads except where expressly prohibited. A motorist who fails to yield to a bicyclist who has the right of way may be liable if the motorist causes the cyclist to crash and be injured.
- Road maintenance— If you crash because of a pothole or other road maintenance issue, you may be able to hold the local government responsible for maintaining the road liable. But suing a governmental entity in New York has special notification requirements.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-358-6900
Hempstead Bicycle Safety Recommendations
As a bicyclist, you cannot prevent a reckless motorist from causing a crash. But you should do what you can to stay safe. It’s important to follow Hempstead traffic regulations to lower the chances that you get hurt.
The Town of Hempstead has put together a guide to bicycle safety. Here are some of the recommendations:
- Cyclists under 14 must wear a helmet by law
- All cyclists should wear a helmet to help prevent brain injuries
- Use reflectors and headlights to help increase your visibility to others on the road
- Wear bright and reflective clothing, especially at night to make yourself more visible
- Keep your bike in good condition, and replace any worn or damaged parts
- Obey all traffic laws
- Be predictable and signal clearly before you turn
- Protect yourself by riding defensively and using caution
Despite following these recommendations, you may still be hit and injured by a car, truck, or other vehicle. Your next thought probably won’t be “Where’s a bike accident attorney near me?” But a qualified cycling accident attorney, like ours at Cohen & Jaffe, can provide the legal representation you need to pursue a financial recovery.
Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-358-6900
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hempstead
The wind, sun, and rush of speed that comes from riding in the open attracts many Long Island residents to biking. Unfortunately, the very reason that you enjoy riding your bike puts you at risk. Even minor crashes can cause fractures and serious injuries because of the lack of protection that bicycles provide. Some riders suffer catastrophic injuries in crashes. Here are some of the common injuries that Long Island bike riders experience:
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Broken and crushed bones
- Scrapes, bruises, and lacerations
- Brain and head injuries, including concussions and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Road rash
- Facial injuries and disfigurations
- Catastrophic limb injuries, including amputation
In extreme cases, bike accident injuries can result in death. If you’ve lost a loved one in a fatal Hempstead bicycle accident, our lawyers can pursue a wrongful death claim on your behalf. You should not have to bear the financial cost of the bicycle accident when it was someone else’s fault. Our cycling accident lawyers can help.
What Will a Hempstead Bicycle Accident Lawyer Do for You?
When you contact one of our bike accident lawyers at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, we’ll explain the personal injury claims process clearly and evaluate whether you have a valid claim. We’ll ask you about your crash and review any documents you have related to the accident and subsequent treatment. If we believe you have a case, we will offer to represent you on a contingency fee basis. We’ll gather any official records related to your crash and work to build a strong legal argument on your behalf.
Our skilled attorneys will submit a demand letter to the insurance company representing the at-fault party. We will try to negotiate a fair settlement and won’t accept less than the full amount you deserve. If we have to, we’ll fight for you in court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Who Could Be Held Liable After a Bike Accident?
When you’re hurt by someone else in the state of New York due to recklessness or negligence, you can use personal injury law to hold them legally responsible. The law requires you to prove that the person who hit you was responsible, or liable. All drivers have an obligation to drive safely and take reasonable precautions to prevent accidents. The law calls that a duty of care. If you were injured by a careless driver who disregarded their legal responsibility to drive safely, the driver may be found liable for your injuries.
At Cohen & Jaffe, we have years of experience representing Hempstead cyclists and proving liability. We’ll investigate your case thoroughly and document exactly how the driver, person, or business injured you. If you were injured by a trucker or app-based contract driver, both the driver and their employer may be held liable. We’ll use all the tools available to us to prove their responsibility, and once we do, we’ll seek the maximum compensation you’re owed.
Damages a Hempstead Accident Bicycle Lawyer Will Recover
Our Hempstead cycling accident lawyers will gather every bill and piece of evidence to document the monetary and non-monetary costs you incurred as a result of your injuries. Depending on the facts of your accident, you could win financial damages to cover:
- Past medical bills related to your accident
- Future medical bills resulting from your injury
- The wages or salary from work you missed
- An amount representing your pain and suffering
- Property damage
- In some situations, punitive damages
What are the Most Dangerous Intersections and Roads for Cyclists in Hempstead?
Despite your efforts to ride safely, it’s still dangerous for cyclists to use busy roads. Hempstead Turnpike in particular has been the location of deadly bike crashes.
New York State has created some hard-surface bike paths parallel to State Parkways to help make bicycle riders in these locations safer. Choosing smaller roads and using these bike paths may help you avoid searching for a “bike accident lawyer near me” after a crash. If you have to use large roads to commute, you should take safety precautions and wear protective gear.
The Most Dangerous Intersections and Roads in Hempstead
There are some Hempstead roads you may want to avoid altogether if you can. Public data on crashes in Hempstead show some of the most dangerous roads and intersections for bikes, cars, and pedestrians include:
- Front Street and Hempstead Turnpike
- Meadowbrook State Parkway
- Jerusalem Avenue
- Merrick Road
- Southern State Parkway
- Nassau Parkway
- Franklin Avenue
Contact Cohen & Jaffe Today for a Free Consultation
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our bike accident attorneys have more than a century of collective experience. When you contact our firm, you work with one of our partners. Richard Jaffe is a trained EMT, so he understands the nature of your injuries better than most attorneys. Cohen & Jaffe is committed to serving clients who need help, and will be ready to assist you regardless of your physical or financial condition. We’ll come to you if you can’t travel, and we won’t ask you for a penny upfront.
We only get paid when your case is successfully resolved with a settlement or jury award. We’ve secured millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients over the years. Contact the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe to talk to a bike accident lawyer that NYC area cyclists can trust. We always respond within 24 hours, so call us at (516) 358-6900 or request your free consultation online today.