Pedestrian accidents in Hempstead often result in serious long-term injuries and costly medical treatment. If you have been injured in a Hempstead pedestrian accident due to a driver’s carelessness or inattention, you should talk to a lawyer about your legal options. The pedestrian accident attorneys at The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP are here to help you.
Our attorneys understand the impact that serious injuries can have on your life. You may be unable to work for an extended period while you are recovering. We will fight for you to receive full compensation to help rebuild your life. We want you to be taken care of now and in the future.
It’s important that you not try to handle your Hempstead pedestrian accident case alone. Let the skilled pedestrian injury lawyers at The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP handle the legal issues and paperwork with the insurance company so you can focus on your recovery. To schedule a free consultation, call (855) 928-0580 today.
Why Do Hempstead Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
While a pedestrian could be injured in a slip, trip, or fall accident, motorists are frequently to blame for pedestrian accidents in Hempstead. The common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving. When drivers are texting, talking on the phone, eating, or engaging in other types of distracting behavior, they are not focused on driving. A driver who is distracted may fail to recognize that a pedestrian has the right of way and cause a serious or fatal injury.
- Speeding. Pedestrians who are hit by speeding vehicles typically sustain more serious injuries due to the force of the impact.
- Left–hand turns. Pedestrians are at risk of being hit by cars turning left because drivers may be concentrating on oncoming traffic at busy intersections and not looking for people on foot.
- Impaired driving. Drivers who are intoxicated have impaired judgment and reflexes. A drunk driver may fail to brake for a pedestrian. Intoxicated drivers traveling through crosswalks against the traffic lights or making left turns can cause severe pedestrian accidents.
- Failing to stop or yield. Drivers who roll through an intersection or stop sign or fail to yield to the pedestrian with the right of way are a common cause of accidents.
- Nighttime conditions. Pedestrians are more difficult to see at night, especially if they are wearing dark clothing and not carrying a light. Drivers should be attentive to people on foot.
- Unmarked crosswalks. Many pedestrian accidents occur at intersections. When a crosswalk is unmarked, the likelihood of an accident greatly increases. A driver may not realize he or she still needs to yield to a pedestrian in an unmarked crosswalk who has the right of way.
- Weather conditions. A slippery road may make it very difficult for a vehicle to stop in time to let a pedestrian cross. Motorists should reduce their speed when the weather conditions warrant. Slippery walking conditions could cause a pedestrian to fall into the path of a motorist.
- Backing–up accidents. Accidents can happen when drivers back up their vehicles before looking for pedestrians. Pedestrians are also at risk of being struck by a vehicle backing up while in parking lots or parking garages.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 866-878-6774
Common Injuries from a Pedestrian Accident in Hempstead
Pedestrians who are struck by moving vehicles can suffer serious injuries even at low speeds.
Pedestrian accident injuries can require hospitalization, rehabilitation, surgery, and medications. Along with cuts, bruises, and broken bones, pedestrian accident victims may sustain catastrophic injuries such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. Serious injuries often require long-term medical care.
Common pedestrian accident injuries in Hempstead include:
- Broken bones and fractures: Broken bones are among the most common injuries sustained by pedestrians who are struck by vehicles. Compound fractures and broken joints such as broken hips and elbows may require surgery to correct.
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries are a common result of a pedestrian accident. Injuries to internal organs require treatment right away, and sometimes these injuries do not exhibit symptoms initially.
- Soft tissue injuries: Strains, sprains, dislocations, and tears from the impact of a collision can result in severe pain, scarring, and long-term issues.
- Amputations: The impact of a pedestrian accident can crush a limb requiring surgical amputation and lead to serious lifelong repercussions on the victim’s body.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): A pedestrian may be thrown by the force of the impact of a car and hit his or her head. Head and brain injuries can be life-altering. A blow to the head can cause bruising or more extensive injury to the brain. Symptoms of a brain injury include loss of consciousness, headaches, nausea, fatigue, difficulty speaking, dizziness, loss of coordination, light and sound sensitivity, depression, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating.
- Spinal cord injury: Any damage to the spinal cord can disrupt the brain’s ability to communicate with the arms and legs and be life-altering. These injuries can lead to lifelong disabilities and paralysis.
- Road burn: When a car hits a pedestrian, the impact can force the pedestrian to the ground, causing them to skid across the pavement. This skidding creates friction that can cause serious injuries to the skin, known as road rash or road burn.
If you have suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident in Hempstead, you may be entitled to recover damages, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You may be able to seek punitive damages, which are a form of financial punishment in cases of wanton negligence or malice. The knowledgeable pedestrian accident lawyers at The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can discuss the types of damages you may be able to recover after reviewing the details of your accident.
Hempstead Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
What to do if you’re injured in a pedestrian accident in Hempstead
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Hempstead, take the following steps:
Seek medical assistance. Your first concern should be your health and safety. Call 911 to report the accident and request emergency medical assistance.
Call the police. Contact the police if they have not already been called. A police report will be needed if you need to file an insurance claim and a personal injury lawsuit.
Gather information. Collect as much information as you can about the party or parties responsible for the accident. Get the driver’s name, driver’s license information, vehicle registration, and insurance information. Also, be sure to get the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
Take pictures of the scene of the accident. Take plenty of photos from a variety of angles and distances. Make sure you get photos of the immediate area where the accident occurred as well as anything else that could be relevant, such as hazards in the road, traffic signals, and weather conditions. Take photos of your injuries.
Contact a pedestrian accident attorney. You should consult with a lawyer who has experience in handling pedestrian accident cases. Take advantage of a free initial consultation. The Hempstead pedestrian attorneys at The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLC are ready to assist you.
Hempstead Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
Hit-and-run accidents involving pedestrians happen all too often. The driver of a car, truck, bus, or another motor vehicle may strike a pedestrian, then panic and leave the scene of the accident without stopping to provide assistance. Even if the motorist is not at fault for the pedestrian accident, the driver may be charged with hit and run if he or she fails to stop at the scene when required to do so.
A hit and run pedestrian accident can occur on a highway, parking lot, parking garage, residential street, crosswalk, or anywhere else where vehicles and pedestrians share space. If you have been seriously injured by a hit and run driver, a Hempstead, hit and run lawyer at The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP may be able to help you get your life back on track.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact our Hempstead Pedestrian Accident Law Firm
If you have been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident in Hempstead, contact The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today. Our skilled and compassionate pedestrian accident lawyers have helped many New Yorkers recover full and fair compensation after serious injuries. We will act quickly to locate witnesses and preserve evidence before it is lost. We will identify all the potentially liable parties in your pedestrian accident.
The experienced Hempstead pedestrian accident attorneys of The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP will put you in the absolute best position possible to receive full compensation for your injuries. Call today at (855) 928-0580 to schedule a free consultation. Our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not owe us a cent until you recover compensation.