If you or a loved one were involved in a car accident in Glen Oaks, then you may be dealing with the fallout from a serious injury or the death of a loved one. You could be entitled to collect compensation for the accident-related losses that you have suffered. A Glen Oaks car accident lawyer can be your representative, seeking compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit so that you can focus on other matters.
Potential Causes of Car Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that drivers are the cause of approximately 94% of studied accidents. A driver may have caused an accident involving you or your loved one, as motorists are statistically the most likely cause of any given collision.
Motorist negligence can come in many forms. A driver may have contributed to or directly caused your accident by:
- Being distracted while driving, which the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) cites as a potentially deadly behavior
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while driving
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Making turns without signaling
- Making turns when there is not enough space between oncoming traffic
- Failing to obey traffic signals such as red lights and stop signs
- Driving too closely behind other vehicles
- Veering out of one’s own lane
- Driving without functioning headlights or brake lights
- Not checking blindspots before changing lanes
- Not checking for oncoming motorists when turning right at an intersection
Driving presents a wide number of scenarios that can lead to a collision, and there are several ways that a motorist may be at fault for causing an accident. A motorist is not the only class of individual that could be responsible for your accident, either.
Negligence Could Extend Beyond a Single Motorist’s Responsibility
Because drivers may generally have the most control over whether accidents occur, they could be the person you first assume is negligent when a collision happens. They may not be the only person responsible for your Glen Oaks car accident, though.
You can hire a lawyer to help you dissect the issue of negligence as it relates to your accident. The American Bar Association (ABA) explains that there are multiple standards for negligence which may apply in the case of an injury or death, and they are:
- Strict liability
- Intentional wrongdoing
The circumstances of each car accident are unique, so yours will have to be analyzed on its own. With this in mind, parties that may have liability for your accident include any employer of the person who struck you, a municipality such as Glen Oaks, or others whose actions or failures contributed to your collision.
A Glen Oaks car accident lawyer could be helpful when determining who may have responsibility for your accident, particularly if you are not familiar with issues of liability. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 for more details about how we can assist you or your loved one.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Glen Oaks, call 866-878-6774
A Lawyer Will Defend Your Rights Throughout Your Case
When you hire a lawyer after a Glen Oaks car accident, you are hiring someone who will defend your rights throughout the time that you are seeking compensation. Protection of your rights is critical, but it is only the start of how a lawyer and their team can assist you.
In the time after your accident where you are considering hiring a lawyer—or have just hired a lawyer—then this person may:
- Recommend that you either pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit, or both
- Tell you how strong they believe your case for compensation is
- Explain to you their general strategy for seeking compensation
Your lawyer’s duties may differ depending on whether you choose to pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit, though there may be a significant overlap in how they serve you in either case.
Completing an Insurance Claim
If you file a claim through insurance, then your lawyer can handle your claim from before it is filed until it is resolved. Some of the responsibilities that your lawyer may complete as they work on your insurance claim include:
- Protecting you from having to making any unnecessary (and potentially risky) statements to insurance agents
- Determining how much your property damage and medical costs are
- Determining your total out-of-pocket costs
- Informing the insurance company for the at-fault party what your losses are
- Seeking fair compensation, either through the normal claims process or through a settlement
Insurance is not always a viable way for car accident victims to receive compensation, and you may ultimately bring a lawsuit in search of fair compensation.
Bringing a Lawsuit After a Car Accident
If you and your lawyer ultimately decide to pursue a lawsuit, then your lawyer will see the legal process through. The resolution to your lawsuit may be a pre-trial settlement or a judgment issued after a trial.
Your lawyer may prepare for settlement negotiations or trial by gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, determining the value of your covered losses, and hiring experts to help with your case. When the time comes, your lawyer will negotiate a settlement, and take your case to trial if they cannot secure a fair settlement offer.
You may receive compensation for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, property damage, and other accident-related losses if your lawyer is successful in representing you.
Glen Oaks Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
Do not wait to call the team for a lawyer if you or a loved one was in a car accident in Glen Oaks. There may be a time limit restricting your ability to bring a lawsuit or insurance claim. A lawyer can help you file your action in time if you are still eligible to do so.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 for more details about how a Glen Oaks car accident lawyer can fight for you.