If you or a loved one was injured, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. A Long Beach, NY car accident lawyer from our firm can lead your pursuit of recovery, from start to finish. The days following a car accident can be trying. You should not have to add handling legal work to your responsibilities. That’s our job.
The team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP will treat you like one of our own as you recover from your injuries or a loved one’s unexpected passing. We offer personalized attention to cases and do all the heavy lifting. This way, you can focus on what’s important, like your health. We file claims, collect evidence, and communicate with all involved parties on your behalf.
You May Be Suffering After a Car Accident
You may fall into one of two categories if you are considering a lawsuit or insurance claim. You may have personally sustained injuries because of a car accident in Long Beach. Otherwise, you may be acting on behalf of a loved one who suffered a fatal or non-fatal injury in a car accident.
Damages You May Recover After Your Long Beach Car Accident
Depending on your status, you may be personally suffering from losses connected to your injury. You may see your loved one suffering because of an injury. Another possibility is that your whole family has losses stemming from a loved one’s passing. For a non-fatal injury, your losses (or a loved one’s losses) may include:
- The cost of emergency care
- The cost of hospitalization
- The costs of tests, surgery, and other medical procedures
- Lost income because of temporary unemployment
- Lost income because of permanent unemployment
- A decline in your earning power caused by disability
- Pain and suffering
- Changes in your mood and personality
- Mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression
- The cost of a part-time or full-time caregiver
- Loss of independence
- Harm to your quality of life
You could experience additional losses because of a car accident – every accident, injury, and individual is unique. In the case of a wrongful death, you may experience additional losses. You and your loved ones may be entitled to compensation for:
- The loss of your loved one’s comfort, guidance, and companionship
- The loss of your loved one’s income
- Funeral costs
- Pain and suffering
A Lawyer From Our Firm Can Determine the Value of Your Case
Your lawyer can handle the process of identifying and calculating the cost of your accident-related losses. Economic damages, or tangible damages, such as medical expenses, are easier to assign a dollar amount to. Non-economic damages, also known as intangible damages, such as pain and suffering, are harder to quantify.
However, there are different methods your lawyer can use to accurately valuate those losses.
We Can File Your Insurance Claim and/or Lawsuit
You may do any of the following in your situation:
- Hire a lawyer to handle an insurance claim or lawsuit on your behalf
- Pursue an insurance claim
- Initiate a lawsuit, if you do not obtain the compensation that you deserve from an insurance company
We can take on the burden of speaking with your insurer, as they typically employ tactics to undervalue your case, complicating your situation. Your lawyer will know how the insurance companies operate. Our team wants to prevent you from enduring unfair treatment.
How We Build Your Case
In the case that you seek compensation from insurance, one of our lawyers may:
- Gather the facts of your accident
- Organize evidence supporting your account of the accident, such as pictures and traffic/surveillance camera footage (if accessible)
- Calculate the cost of medical care, lost income, and other potentially covered losses
- Hire an accident reconstructionist/medical expert
- Speak with witnesses
- Negotiate a settlement
You may ultimately choose to bring a lawsuit against one or more parties. You may choose to do so for many reasons. Some of these reasons could include because an insurer does not offer fair compensation or your losses are greater than coverage limits. When you decide to bring a lawsuit, your lawyer can:
- File your lawsuit before relevant statutes of limitations expire
- Collect any new evidence that has emerged since your accident
- Calculate the latest tally of your losses
- Update documentation of your injuries
- Negotiate a pre-trial settlement with attorneys for defendants named in your lawsuit
- Take your case to trial, if necessary
- File an appeal, if necessary
Statutes of Limitations to Know After a Long Beach Car Accident
In accordance with CVP § 214, personal injury victims usually have three years to file a lawsuit. If a loved one passed away because of a car accident, you generally have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit, EPT § 5-4.1 states.
It can seem like you have a long time to act. However, this is so. When you take into account the responsibilities of our lawyers, allow them to quickly get started on your case. You do not want to risk being barred from seeking the compensation you deserve.
When You Share Fault for the Accident
The ideal outcome of your lawsuit may be to obtain compensation for any losses that you or your loved ones have suffered. CVP § 1411 notes that you may be able to collect losses even if you or your loved one is partially at fault for the accident. This is because fault is assigned as a percentage.
Every car accident is different. Your Long Beach lawyer will fight for the precise amount of compensation that you should receive based on the facts of your collision.
Examining Nassau County Accidents
The New York State Department of Health reported that Nassau County saw an average of seven vehicle accident-related deaths each month from 2012 to 2014.
Tourists and other non-residents of Nassau County may be at risk of being in an accident while visiting or passing through Long Beach. You are entitled to seek financial justice for an accident in Long Beach, even if you don’t live here.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
If you hire one of our car accident lawyers, they will handle your Long Beach case with the care that it deserves. This way, you could focus on your recovery or the needs of your loved ones. Do not delay before making the call to the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, as there are time restrictions for pursuing compensation.
Call us today at (516) 358-6900 for a free consultation. A representative looks forward to taking your call and hearing about what happened. Our team will walk you through the next steps.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Long Beach, call 516-358-6900