Whether you are a commuter cyclist or a recreational rider, traveling on a bicycle can be dangerous. Sometimes accidents occur when a driver fails to see or yield to a cyclist, leaving them injured or suffering in other ways.
If you were the victim of a bicycle accident, you could have grounds to take legal action against the party responsible and recover compensation for your various damages. Our firm helps bicycle accident victims file insurance claims and lawsuits in Long Beach and other communities nearby. You won’t have to pay anything upfront for our legal services, and the first consultation is free.
Recoverable Damages After a Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents cause thousands of injuries and other forms of loss every year in the United States. If you or your loved one was the victim of such an incident, New York law allows you to seek damages from the driver or other liable entity through a claim or lawsuit.
Depending on the types of damages you and your family experienced or will experience in the future, you may qualify to recover compensation for the following:
- Physical injuries: Even minor injuries can impact your life, but more severe ones can leave you in pain for weeks, months, or longer. If you suffered physically at the hands of a negligent party, you could have grounds to take legal action.
- Property loss: Your bicycle or other property may have sustained damage in the collision. You could receive reimbursement to repair or replace it.
- Medical expenses: After a bicycle collision, you may face expensive medical bills, ongoing doctor appointments, and other unforeseen financial challenges. Costs for surgeries, hospitalization, medications, and assistive medical devices may all be recoverable if you can provide your bills and invoices as evidence.
- Missed income: If your injuries kept you out of work, you may have missed out on vital income or benefits. Compensation for past and future impacts on your income and earning ability may be available.
Every case is unique, so the amount of compensation our clients recover varies. It may be beneficial to discuss your bicycle accident case with a member of our firm to learn more. When we appoint an attorney to represent you, they will review your damages with you and explain the level of compensation potentially available.
Determining Liability for Your Bike Collision
Determining who is liable for your accident is an essential step if you choose to pursue legal action. If the other party was at fault for your suffering, you may have a valid case. There are many ways in which a motor vehicle operator or another party may have caused your collision.
Ways in Which Another Party Could Be Liable
When a driver is negligent, it can put others on the road at risk. If a driver engaged in any of the following behaviors at the time of your accident, they could be responsible for the damage they caused you. Our firm builds bicycle accident cases based on:
- Drunk driving: If a drunk or impaired driver was involved in your accident, they could be directly liable for your damages.
- Distracted driving: Any behavior that diverts attention from the road is distracted driving. Distracted driving is common, but it is also illegal and dangerous. You could have a case if the at-fault driver was texting or otherwise distracted behind the wheel.
- Speeding: A speeding driver is a serious threat to others’ safety, especially cyclists. If a vehicle was traveling above the speed limit when your accident happened, this could support your case.
- Reckless driving: Careless or reckless driving, even if unintentional, could have caused your accident. Consider discussing your case with our team if you believe a reckless driver caused your accident. We could help you uncover the evidence you need to prove your case.
Other parties can also be liable for a bicycle collision. An example would be a government entity that neglected road maintenance or failed to replace road signage. You could qualify to hold a government entity accountable, though there are additional steps and requirements involved. We can help with these.
The Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
There are several potential benefits of hiring a lawyer from our firm if you are considering taking legal action after your bicycle accident. When an attorney from our team represents you in Long Beach, we will:
- Be accessible to you by phone 24/7 and come to you if you are unable to visit our office
- Use our knowledge of the law and traumatic injuries to understand your case
- Build your case, advocate for your financial recovery, and answer your questions along the way
- Handle all paperwork and other tedious aspects of the legal process
- Help determine the types of compensation available to you
- Keep your case moving through the system, enabling you to recover any awarded damages with as few delays as possible
- Ensure you are aware of the three-year filing window in your case, per CVP §214
If you are ready to take the next step in your fight towards justice, our team is available to help.
Contact Our Attorneys Today to Discuss Your Financial Recovery
If you would like to discuss your case with our team during a free, no-obligation consultation, pick up the phone and call (516) 358-6900 today. A team member at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is standing by to answer your questions and help get you back on your feet.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Long Beach, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.