Whether you are driving to work, running errands, or going on a road trip, a car accident can occur suddenly and may cause victims to suffer long-term consequences. In an instant, a car accident victim may find their lives upended as they contend with severe injuries. If you suffered an injury in a car accident caused by another person’s negligence, you might have legal grounds to pursue compensation for your losses.
At The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, our skilled car accident lawyers understand how challenging the aftermath of a car accident can be. Our skilled car accident attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience helping car accident victims like you recover the maximum amount of compensation possible for their medical bills and other losses. When you partner with us, your attorney will investigate your case and fight tirelessly for your rights and interests.
How to Protect Your Rights After a Car Accident
After suffering an injury in a car accident, it is in your best interest to take steps to protect your rights and the value of your claim. Some of the many ways you can protect yourself after an accident include the following:
- Avoid admitting fault for the collision: Many individuals feel that apologizing after an accident is polite, even if they were not at fault. However, saying “I’m sorry” may be seen as an admission of fault that may impact the value of your claim.
- Be cautious when speaking to the insurance adjuster: Unfortunately, insurance companies often attempt to compensate victims as little as possible for their losses. Your attorney can speak to the insurance company on your behalf to ensure nothing you say can be taken out of context to devalue your claim.
- Collect photographic evidence: If you are able, take photographs of your injuries, the vehicles involved, and the scene of the accident. These photos may serve as critical evidence to support your claim.
- Organize your accident-related expenses: Be sure to save your medical bills and other receipts in a safe location. Your lawyer can use these documents to determine the total value of your claim and pursue a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Take a break from posting on social media: The insurance company and their legal team may watch your social media accounts closely after an accident. They may even try to use your posts against you to invalidate your injuries or allege you were at fault for the collision.
- Hire an experienced attorney: A highly qualified attorney will be familiar with the complexities of New York’s car accident laws and apply their experience and skills to your case.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, our Jackson Heights car accident lawyers are committed to ensuring our clients understand their legal rights and options. When you retain the services of one of our skilled attorneys, they will work with you to understand every detail about your accident and help you determine your best path forward.
What is the Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Claims in New York?
It is essential to note that car accident victims do not have unlimited time to file a claim for compensation. All claims must be filed within a legal time limit known as the statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is three years from the date of the accident.
While this may seem like more than enough time to pursue a claim, it is essential to act sooner rather than later. Critical pieces of evidence may be lost or destroyed over time, and key witnesses may forget the details of what they saw. A skilled Jackson Heights car accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe can help you get your claim started as soon as possible to comply with the law and build the strongest claim possible on your behalf.
How the Skilled Attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe Can Help You
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, our car accident lawyers are dedicated to helping our clients in Jackson Heights recover the maximum amount of compensation available for their losses. Some of the many ways our knowledgeable attorneys can help you include the following:
- Thoroughly investigating your accident
- Gathering crucial evidence
- Interviewing eye-witnesses
- Organizing your medical bills and other expenses
- Filing paperwork correctly and on time
- Negotiating with all parties on your behalf
- Advocating aggressively for your rights and interests
- Keeping you up to date and answering your legal questions
Your attorney will work tirelessly to help ensure you are compensated fairly for the full extent of your economic and non-economic losses.
Speak to a Knowledgeable Car Accident Attorney in Jackson Heights
The dependable team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe has over a century of combined experience helping car accident victims get their lives back on track. We are proud to serve the community of Jackson Heights and the surrounding areas and have a proven track record of successfully holding liable parties fully accountable for their negligent actions. We aim to provide our clients with peace of mind as they focus on their healing and recovery. To learn more about legal topics and how our experienced team may be able to help you subscribe to our Youtube Channel. Schedule a free consultation today by calling us at (866) 924-1787 or completing our online contact form.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving Jackson Heights, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.