Suffering injuries stemming from a car accident in Jamaica, New York, can turn your life upside down. Don’t settle for this drastic change without pursuing the compensation you need.
A car accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you find your way through the legal system and get you the financial recovery you deserve.
You Might Be Entitled to Compensation Following a Car Accident in Jamaica
How much compensation you can receive depends on:
- The extent of your injuries
- How long your recovery will be
- The nature of the accident
- How the accident and your injuries have affected your life
- Your financial damages, including medical expenses
With all these aspects in mind, your attorney at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you classify your damages into two main categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic Damages You Can Pursue
These losses are tangible and hold financial value. They include:
- Medical bills: You might incur costs for your diagnostic tests, medication, doctor’s appointments, medical equipment, hospital stay, and surgery.
- Lost income: If you had to miss work because of your injuries, you could claim the wages you lost in your case.
- Lost earning potential: You might miss out on future promotions, opportunities, and wages because your injuries will keep you from working like you used to.
- Property damage: Your car might have been damaged or totaled in the accident.
Non-Economic Losses You Can Pursue
These losses have taken a toll on your psychological and physical well-being. They include:
- Pain and suffering: Your injuries might cause you too much pain for you to enjoy your life.
- Scarring, disfigurement, and disability: You can’t move as freely or make decisions as easily as you did before the accident.
Within both of these categories, wrongful death damages are available if your loved one passed away from the accident. You might be able to recover the costs for their funeral and burial, medical expenses, and mental anguish. Since the accident affected your life, you can claim your own losses, as well, such as your loss of inheritance and consortium.
Filing a Lawsuit in New York State
What typically happens after your lawyer and the insurance company can’t agree on a settlement amount is filing a lawsuit.
- Under CVP §214, you generally have three years to file for personal injury.
- Under EPT §5-4.1, you generally have two years to file for wrongful death.
Two or three years might seem like plenty of time, but it can go quickly while you’re going to doctor’s appointments and recovering. We have no time to waste when filing a lawsuit because these deadlines are strict. If you give us enough time, we can comply. If not, we might not meet the deadline, and the court won’t let you seek compensation.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Has Achieved Successful Outcomes for Our Clients
At our law firm, our main goal is to get you the compensation you are entitled to receive. Our past case results can attest to this focus.
For example, we have won:
- $3.5 million for a young lady who suffered injuries in a rear-end collision
- $1.5 million for a man who was rear-ended and suffered a back injury
- $1.5 million for a woman who sustained fractured bones
- $1.3 million for a woman who was T-boned
Like these cases, we will personalize your case to meet your needs, which will be an asset to your recovery.
Our Team Works for a Contingency Fee
Whether or not you can afford to hire a lawyer from our team should not be of concern to you.
Because we work for a contingency fee, you do not owe us anything:
- Out of pocket
- For retainment
Your bank account has taken a hard hit following your car accident, and we don’t want to add to that burden. When you choose us to represent you, you and your attorney will agree on an amount they will take as their payment when you receive your settlement or court award. If you can’t win anything, you don’t pay us.
We Can Help You Identify the Liable Party or Parties in Your Lawsuit
The driver who hit you might be responsible for paying your due during the accident. This scenario might be true for your case. However, there might have been other parties who actually caused the accident, such as:
- A city or state municipality
- A parts manufacturer
- A mechanic
- A third party
For example, a mechanic might have installed the other driver’s brakes improperly, causing them to sideswipe you. In that case, the mechanic failed to perform their job to the best of their ability, and this negligence led to your injuries.
Establishing liability might be difficult, but you can leave it to your lawyer to use their resources to hold the liable party accountable. If you keep reading, you will see the other ways we can assist you.
We Can Take Charge of Your Case While You Recover from Your Injuries
While you focus on putting your life back together, we will provide the following services for you:
- Investigating your case
- Going over insurance policies
- Interviewing eyewitnesses, expert witnesses, economists, and your medical team
- Acting as the intermediary between you and the other relevant parties
- Reaching a settlement agreement
- Following all state time limits
- Arguing your case in court, if need be
Throughout the legal process, we will periodically update you regarding any changes. We want you to know what’s going on so you’re not left in the dark. Also, don’t be afraid to consult your attorney if you have any questions or concerns. We’re here to help you.
Reach Out to the Attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
When you call us today for a free consultation, you learn all about how our car accident lawyers serving Jamaica can help you with your case.
Contact us today. We cannot get started until you tell us everything about your situation. Let our team help you, as we have helped other New Yorkers in your position.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Jamaica, call 516-358-6900