Your family could have been affected by the action or inaction of another person in Hollis. We want to help you secure justice in the form of financial compensation. You could be eligible for damages to cover your accident-related losses. Retain a lawyer serving car accident victims from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP.
You could have been rear-ended on Jamaica Avenue or sideswiped on Francis Lewis Boulevard. We can help regardless of how you were injured.
Our Lawyers Will Take on Your Entire Car Accident Case
Some of the ways that a lawyer may help with your insurance claim is by:
- Familiarizing themselves with your insurance policy
- Becoming acquainted with the facts of how your accident occurred
- Determining what portion of your losses should be paid by your policy, as well as the policy of any at-fault party
- Filing your claim
- Helping you pursue a financial award
- Negotiating a settlement, if the initial amount of compensation offered to you is not sufficient
There are many possible roadblocks to you receiving the amount of compensation that you deserve through insurance. Relevant policies may simply not have coverage limits substantial to your losses. You could run into resistance from one or more insurance companies. They may dispute the facts of your accident or losses.
A lawyer can handle the insurance claims process so you don’t have to deal with such issues personally. An insurance claim may be the resolution to your accident that you seek. If you cannot secure an award through a settlement, your lawyer could help you take additional steps to finalize your case.
A Lawsuit May Be Your Path to Compensation
You may choose to bring a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit if insurance negotiation does not prove to be successful. You may also skip filing a claim altogether and file a lawsuit shortly after your accident.
You may consider several factors before choosing to pursue a lawsuit. These factors may include:
- What your share of responsibility for your accident is, if any
- How great your losses are beyond what insurance may cover
- Whether you suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one
- Whether the party or parties you want to sue have assets that would make bringing a lawsuit worthwhile
Your Hollis lawyer can walk you through any other considerations that you may want to weigh before deciding how to seek compensation in a car accident case.
How a Lawyer May Lead the Way to Compensation
By hiring a lawyer, you may be taking a step towards compensation. Your lawyer can initiate actions that have the sole purpose of resulting in compensation. You could secure damages for you or a loved one through a lawsuit or insurance claim.
In either case, a lawyer may perform several services towards the goal of obtaining compensation, including:
- Hiring professionals to investigate and document all aspects of your accident
- Documenting any injuries you or your loved one suffered
- Calculating the value of your accident-related losses
- Hiring experts to recreate your accident for purposes related to your lawsuit
- Filing your lawsuit or claim and all other necessary paperwork
- Speaking with witnesses and recording their accounts
- Handling all lawsuit- or claim-related appearances and communications which do not absolutely require your participation
- Negotiating a settlement
- Resolving your lawsuit through a trial if a settlement cannot be agreed upon
Your lawyer could take these (and any other steps necessary) to resolve your claim or lawsuit. They will consider the amount of compensation you could recover. This figure may be the result of identifying and assigning value to all your losses.
Calculating the Compensation You Could Receive
Your lawyer may have an established approach to calculating car accident losses. The amount of losses you could recover depends on:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- Whether a loved one passed away
- Other considerations specific to your case
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that accidents cost New Yorkers a lot of money per year. Medical costs and lost work productivity are the leading drivers of cost. On a personal level, your accident-related losses may include:
- Lost income, either temporary or permanent
- A decline in your earning power
- Unwanted changes in your physical appearance
- Cognitive decline
- Lasting physical injuries
- Chronic pain
- Damage to your vehicle
- The cost of medical care
- Pain and suffering
Your lawyer will identify your accident-related losses, assign them a value, and seek fair compensation for those losses.
You Could Pursue Damages After Losing a Loved One to a Car Accident
Coping with the aftermath of a car accident that takes your family member is difficult enough. You should not have to handle the details involved with securing an award as well.
We could negotiate and present your claim for the following losses:
- Your loved one’s medical bills from before their passing
- Your loved one’s pain and suffering
- Your pain and suffering at losing a family member
- Loss of support, including the household labor your loved one contributed
- Loss of your loved one’s income
- Loss of consortium and guidance
Our Team Will Use Our Knowledge and Experience from Past Cases for Your Benefit
Our firm’s partners have over a combined century of wisdom and practical experience to share with you. We have handled many car accident cases in our time serving injured New Yorkers. We have secured damages for people that needed it, including:
- $1 million: For a woman that suffered severe headaches and back and knee injuries in a car accident
- $1.2 million: For the family of a child that suffered a fractured skull in a car accident
- $1.3 million: For a woman T-boned by the New York Police Department and left with neck and back injuries and a fractured nose
Hollis Accidents Can Result in an Insurance Payout
The New York State Department of Health notes that Hollis is among the neighborhoods with the greatest number of residents in Queens County. As a high-density residential center, it is only natural that Hollis would have its fair share of traffic accidents. Yet, while it may be expected that Hollis is the scene of numerous traffic accidents, it is also true that those at fault could be held financially responsible.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) notes that New Yorkers spend the fourth-highest amount of money on auto insurance in the country. So, you may expect that your premiums will pay off when an accident occurs. Your lawyer can explore the possibility of compensation for your accident-related losses through insurance.
Time Constraints Could Affect Your Case
Your lawyer can tell you about the timeline for filing an insurance claim with the other party’s insurer. Every company has its own rules. However, if you cannot secure a settlement from the insurer, you also have a limited time to file a lawsuit. New York law imposes timelines called statutes of limitations.
If you fail to file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations on your car accident case ends, you could lose the right to fight for compensation.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
Hiring your lawyer serving Hollis will take the responsibility of seeking post-car accident compensation and defending your rights out of your hands. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Hollis, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.