Operating a tractor-trailer or other commercial truck requires experience and training. Most truck drivers drive their vehicles with the care and skill that such a large, complicated piece of equipment requires. Unfortunately, a truck driver can get careless and pose a serious risk of causing a catastrophic accident that can lead to significant property damage and life-altering injuries for others on the road.
If you or a loved was injured in a truck accident, a Hollis truck accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP could help you pursue damages from the liable party. We offer no-obligation initial case evaluations where potential clients can learn about their legal options and how our firm can help plaintiffs secure fair financial compensation.
Compensation You Could Recover in a Truck Accident Claim or Lawsuit
After you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for the injuries and damages you’ve sustained in the accident, such as:
- Past and future costs of treatment
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity, if you cannot work due to your injuries
- Pain and suffering, or loss of quality and enjoyment of life
- Property damage, including costs to repair your vehicle (or the cash value of your vehicle if it was totaled in the accident)
- Wrongful death damages, if your loved one died from their truck accident injuries
As a trained EMT, partner attorney Richard Jaffe understands how serious injuries can have an outsized impact on your life. Therefore, you can count on us to help ensure that you are fairly compensated for all your damages. That includes the ones you incur after your case resolves.
Retaining Our Lawyers’ Help After a Truck Collision in Hollis
When you’ve been involved in a truck accident, having the assistance of an attorney on our team can help you secure the compensation you are entitled to collect.
Some of the ways our legal team can assist with pursuing your truck accident case include:
We must compile an effective case file that boosts your claim’s value. Common forms of evidence we use in truck accident cases include:
- Photographs of the injuries you sustained and the truck crash scene
- Roadway video footage that captured the accident
- Your medical records
- Statements from your doctors and eyewitnesses
- The accident report
Evidence unique to truck accidents exists, which can be difficult to obtain. With the help of one of our lawyers, you can request access to the truck’s black box information, employee records, and inspection reports.
Determining who Bears Fault for the Truck Accident
The trucking industry involves multiple parties and companies, each of whom may bear some or all the responsibility for your truck accident. Your attorney can thoroughly investigate your crash to uncover which parties may have legal fault for your injuries, including:
- Trucking companies: If they failed to properly vet employees or encouraged them to work without taking breaks
- Cargo companies: If they didn’t load the truck properly
- Truck manufacturers: If they designed or produced a defective truck part
- Government entities: If they poorly designed the roadway or waited too long to clean up debris
If the truck driver is at fault, we would sue the trucking company. Due to the vicarious liability principle, employers could take responsibility for their employee’s negligence.
Going Back and Forth with the Insurance Companies and Attorneys
Our lawyers will cover all calls, emails, and letters between you and the other party’s representatives. Don’t be surprised if their insurance adjustor contacts you a few days after the accident, though. They may ask you for a recorded statement to get your account of what happened.
Refrain from giving them one, as they will probably manipulate what you say and use that for their benefit later on in negotiations. Direct them to your legal team if they reach you. We know about the strategies they use to safeguard their bottom line.
Your lawyer will communicate with the insurance companies throughout negotiations. We will review their settlement offers and not agree to one until we are satisfied. However, if an out-of-court settlement is unattainable, we will keep fighting for your right to compensation in a jury trial.
Help You Meet State Deadlines
In some cases, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the negligent party. To illustrate:
- Personal injury claimants typically have three years to file suit, per CVP § 214.
- Those who lost their family members to truck accidents usually have two years to file wrongful death lawsuits, according to EPT § 5-4.1.
Let’s get started on your case soon, so we don’t risk missing the deadline. If that happens, you could be forfeiting your right to damages.
What Makes the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Stand Out
When you choose lawyers from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to help you with your Hollis truck accident case, you can expect to get the dedication, compassionate focus, and attention to detail that you deserve. You will even work directly with our law partners Stephen Cohen and Richard Jaffe.
We work diligently to make ourselves available to you – we return all phone calls or emails within 24 hours and all clients will receive attorney Richard Jaffe’s cell phone number for 24/7 accessibility. If you cannot come to our office, our attorneys will make arrangements to come to you at your home or hospital bed.
Our Case Results Show Our Commitment to Justice
Our firm’s attorneys have over a century of combined experience fighting for the rights and interests of injured accident victims. We take pride in our track record of success in securing millions of dollars in financial compensation through negotiated settlements and verdicts.
Some of past truck accident case outcomes include:
- $125,000 for our client who was rear-ended by a semi-truck driver
- $750,000 for our client who fractured his ribs and collarbone, sustained herniated discs in his lumbar spine, tore his meniscus, and couldn’t go to work for a year after a tow truck hit him
As each case is different, we cannot tell you how much you are entitled to recover until we go over your entire case. However, you can count on us to pursue the amount of compensation you need to help you live life as close to normal as possible.
What Our Clients Have Said About Partnering with Our Personal Injury Firm
Our goal is to provide you the care, attention, and service you need to feel at ease throughout the legal process – alongside securing a favorable award for you.
Former clients have expressed how they felt about this approach:
“Richard Jaffe took time to speak with me at all hours of the day with any concern I had. I felt so comfortable and confident that Richard Jaffe had my best interests in mind. He went above and beyond with answering any questions…” – Rosa
“They immediately went into action and settled my case without me having to do anything but get to my doctor appointments. They called and kept me informed which was a big plus to me. Everyone I dealt with was professional and caring. A tough combination to find.” – Dorothy
Our Personal Injury Firm Works Based on Contingency
There is no need to fret about any surprise fees when you hire our firm. Our team will go over the payment model we employ and how you reimburse your lawyer for their assistance when we meet.
Since we work on a contingency-fee basis:
- Our staff provides you with a free consultation.
- We don’t require retainers or upfront fees.
You have nothing to lose when you have the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP fighting for you. Should they secure compensation for you, your lawyer will take a portion of your winnings as their payment. If they don’t, we still won’t ask for a payment.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Some of the most common types of accidents that involve large commercial trucks include:
- Head-on and rear-end collisions
- Jackknife accidents, which occur when trucks brake suddenly and cause trailers to swing out to a 90-degree angle, impacting other vehicles on the road or causing a rollover accident
- Blind spot accidents, which often arise because trucks have large blind spots, and truck drivers may fail to have or use blind spot mirrors or blind spot monitoring devices
- Rollover accidents, which occur when a truck driver loses control of their rig, which then tips over, often spilling the truck’s cargo out onto the roadway
- Underride accidents, or accidents that involve a passenger vehicle colliding and getting stuck in the truck’s undercarriage
- Tire blowouts, which large commercial vehicles are significantly at risk of due to their large size and the amount of time they spend on the roads, which quickly put wear on tires
What to Do If Injured in a Truck Accident in Hollis, New York
After a truck accident in Hollis injures you, you should remember to take the following steps. Doing so can help protect your legal rights and options for seeking fair compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Call 9-1-1 if someone has been injured and report the accident to local law enforcement.
- Exchange information with the driver, including the driver’s contact information, their employer’s contact information, and insurance information.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Document the accident scene by taking photos or video of details of the accident and any visible injuries you may have suffered
- Seek medical attention, so a physician may diagnose all the injuries you sustained in your accident.
If you get into an accident that only involves minor damage to the vehicles, you may simply choose to exchange insurance information with the other driver; if the damage totals more than $1,000, you must file a report with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
Contact the Law of Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for Assistance After a Truck Crash
Don’t wait another day to start the process of seeking the financial recovery you need and deserve. Contact the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Call us at (516) 358-6900. Let our lawyers help you understand your legal rights and options after a Hollis truck accident injures you.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Hollis, call 516-358-6900