A collision involving a passenger vehicle and a big rig weighing thousands of pounds could result in severe, life-threatening injuries. Whether you were hit by a semi on the Jericho Turnpike or were in a multi-car crash a truck driver caused, you could have legal options. A truck driver, trucking company, or another entity could be responsible.
Our Floral Park truck accident lawyers have won results for victims of truck crashes. We are prepared to negotiate an out-of-court settlement or take your case to trial. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP offers free consultations so you can understand what comes next for your case.
Do I Have the Legal Right to Compensation After a Truck Accident?
If you were hurt in an accident and we can show that someone else is responsible, you could seek compensation for both the financial and non-financial damages that resulted from the crash.
Your damages may include compensation for:
- Pain and suffering: This may reflect the extent of your physical pain related to the injury
- Past and current medical expenses: You could recover the cost of emergency care needed immediately after the accident and any other treatments related to your injuries.
- Future medical expenses: You may need to continue with treatment long into the future. Whether for physical therapy, rehabilitation, or medications, our team can help you make a recovery.
- Lost wages: You could have missed out on several paychecks during your recovery.
- Reduced earning capacity: If your injuries will go on to affect your ability to work and reduce your earnings, compensation is available.
You shouldn’t be dealing with medical bills after an accident that wasn’t your fault. You may have the right to take legal action and demand just compensation for your losses. A truck accident attorney from our team can help you.
We Assist Family Members Seeking Wrongful Death Damages
We offer our deepest condolences to those who lost a loved one to an accident. Your personal injury lawyer in Floral Park will provide compassionate representation to help you seek justice and the financial recovery your family deserves. You should never pursue a wrongful death claim alone, as insurance companies will most likely take advantage of your grief and offer you a lowball sum. Accepting their offer might mean quick financial relief, but it will be on the short term, and it will certainly not cover everything you are owed. Let your attorneys deal with insurers and the liable party’s lawyers, as they will fight for your rights and fair damages.
We will handle your wrongful death case and seek damages for funeral and burial costs, medical expenses, and more.
How Can a Floral Park Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
Our team will handle your entire claim or lawsuit for you after an accident so that you can focus on your recovery. We will:
Gather Crucial Evidence
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we will move quickly to investigate a truck accident and preserve evidence.
There may be information that we need to seek out from the trucking company or other liable party. We may work to gather evidence from black box data or trucking company logbooks, for instance.
We may also seek out records of past violations by the company, accident reconstruction data, and more.
Determine What Your Case Could Be Worth
The other party may want to settle the accident case quickly – and protect the company’s bottom line when doing so. If an insurance company makes you an offer, how will you know that:
- Their offer is fair?
- It will cover all your medical expenses now and in the future?
- It will cover your missing wages since you were unable to work?
Our team will evaluate these factors for you and determine what a fair offer for your case would look like.
Negotiate a Fair Settlement
Our injury lawyers will then demand a settlement that reflects the full extent of your losses. If the liable party or parties do not agree to a fair settlement, we have no problem taking your case to trial, if necessary.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we act as your personal advocates. This way, you have someone representing your best interests during the settlement process.
Navigate the Complexities of a Truck Accident
There are as many different types of trucking accidents as there are heavy trucks. Trucks involved in serious accidents can include tractor-trailers, moving trucks, delivery trucks, tow trucks, construction vehicles, and garbage trucks. With every type of truck accident, you may be dealing with unique situations of liability – and we can handle these complications for you.
Additionally, a trucking company may try to minimize its liability and try to shift the blame to you or other drivers. Trucking companies have teams of lawyers who work solely to protect the company’s interests. Our legal team will fight to protect your rights through every step.
Why Choose the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for Help with My Case?
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our team supports victims of injury through every step as we seek compensation for you. Reasons why you may want to work with our team include:
- We offer free consultations and contingency-fee based representation. Because we work on contingency, you owe nothing up front to get started with a case.
- You will get your attorney’s phone number when you hire our team. You can ask us any questions you have throughout your case and expect to get answers.
- We can come to you if you cannot travel to our office.
- One of our founding partners, Richard Jaffe, is a volunteer EMT and firefighter. He understands how seriously injuries can impact victims’ lives.
Our firm can help injury victims whether they were hurt in Nassau County, Suffolk County, and across New York City.
Testimonials From Past Clients
We can tell you about our emphasis on client service, but we think it’s best if you hear it from our past clients. Here are select testimonials from former clients:
- “I was very fortunate to have Richard Jaffe of Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, represent me in my case. Throughout the entire process, Rich was professional, always explaining every detail of my case. He was available whether it was through a phone call, text or email. Not only was Rich an extreme professional but he also kept it personal, not making me feel like a case number.” – Eric
- “I knew I had made the right decision when I decided on Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP. From the beginning to the end the entire staff made me feel as if I was family. Richard Jaffe took time to speak with me at all hours of the day with any concern I had. I felt so comfortable and confident that Richard Jaffe had my best interests in mind. He went above and beyond with answering any questions. I would recommendrecommended Richard Jaffe as well as the entire team!!” – Rosa
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our attorneys take the time to get to know you. We will give your case the personalized attention it deserves.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Large Truck Accident?
Trucking accident cases can be complicated to resolve, partly because multiple parties may be liable for a trucking accident. We will start your case by investigating the accident that led to your injury, analyzing many factors that possibly contributed to the crash.
When the Trucking Company Is Liable
A commercial truck driver may be employed by a trucking company or the driver may be an independent contractor. If they were employed by a trucking company at the time of the crash, the trucking company could be liable.
Often, the trucking company may carry a higher corporate insurance policy, so you could seek compensation up to those policy limits if your damages warrant. However, the trucking company may have more resources to challenge your claim. Our lawyers can work to gather strong evidence to make your case.
Other Parties Involved with Truck Loading and Maintenance
The following include other parties who could be liable for your accident:
- The company that loaded the cargo onto a truck may be to blame if the cargo was not loaded or tied down properly. When cargo is not loaded correctly, it can affect the handling of the vehicle and make it more difficult for a driver to respond to certain situations.
- A manufacturer of truck components – such as truck tires or brakes – could also be held responsible if a collision was the result of a defective part.
- A maintenance company responsible for maintaining a company’s truck fleet could be liable.
When Multiple Parties Are Liable
In some situations, more than one of the above-mentioned parties could be liable. For instance, a trucking company may be liable if it failed to maintain a safe fleet of vehicles. However, a parts manufacturer that produced dysfunctional brakes could also be liable.
We will hold all responsible parties accountable through a claim or lawsuit.
We Will Identify the Cause of Your Truck Accident in New York
A wide variety of factors can come into play when truck accidents happen. Certain roads such as New York State Route 25 have heavy truck traffic and are frequent sites for accidents.
We will work to identify how truck driver negligence and other causes played a role in your crash. One or more of the following could be the cause of your accident:
- Speeding. Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that more than 21 percent of drivers involved in fatal crashes received at least one previous speeding conviction. Speeding is particularly dangerous in a large truck because of the significant amount of time it takes to stop such a large vehicle.
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving is a hazard for everyone out on the roads, including truck drivers. Picking up the phone to make a call, checking directions, and even eating on the road to save time can distract a truck driver and lead to an accident.
- Driver fatigue. Drivers may feel tremendous pressure to meet delivery deadlines. They may push their minds and bodies to the limits to beat a deadline. Extended time behind the wheel without sleep or rest can impair drivers. Federal laws limit the number of hours that drivers can operate a big truck before taking mandatory rest breaks.
- Equipment failure and defective parts. Truck drivers are required to inspect the truck before a trip. Tight deadlines may cause a driver to cut corners on the inspection to get on the road faster. Sometimes equipment can fail, or a manufacturer can be liable for a defective part.
What Can I Do to Protect My Case After a Truck Accident in Floral Park?
If you suffered injuries in a truck accident, you should consider the following:
Get Medical Attention Promptly
If you have not yet sought out emergency care, see a doctor for any injuries you have. You should let the doctor know you were in a collision. The doctor can then make notes to indicate how the accident affected your health.
Then, listen to your doctors’ orders. An insurance company may look to your medical history to dispute certain parts of your case. However, if you have a clear record of injury for which you sought treatment, they may have a harder time contesting your case.
Be Wary of an Early Settlement Offer From the Trucking Company
If you receive a settlement offer after the accident, get a free case review from our team to learn your options. Trucking companies and their team of lawyers and insurers often try to settle the matter quickly – and if you accept an offer too soon, it may not reflect your true costs and losses.
We can estimate your accident-related losses and the amount of compensation you may seek after a truck accident. After all, you may have lost wages if you missed work. Depending on the nature of your injuries, you may need ongoing medical treatment or extensive rehabilitation. We can help you determine if the settlement offer reflects these costs.
Our Attorneys Can Get to Work for You After a Truck Crash in Floral Park, NY
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP we are committed to helping you recover from the aftermath of a serious truck accident. We have experience seeking compensation for those injured in truck accidents, and we will put our experience to work for you.
We are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve to make a recovery. Contact us online or call (516) 358-6900 for your free consultation. If you can’t make it to us, we’ll find a way to make it to you.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Floral Park, call 516-358-6900