If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident in Islip, an injury lawyer from our firm can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we understand the trauma you’ve experienced.
We are committed to helping you recover the cost of your collision-related losses, even if it means going to court. Our attorneys have won millions of dollars for families across the state. We are ready to put our skills to work for you.
Your Lawyer Will Work On Contingency
Bills can pile up faster than money comes in after a truck accident. The attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP understand that after getting hurt, your most pressing concerns involve paying your bills and taking care of your family. So, we offer our help on a contingency-fee-basis.
- We will take a percentage of your winnings as payment for our help. We will decide this percentage after reviewing how much time it will take to complete your case.
- We do not take payment for our legal aid until your case is over.
- If we cannot win your case, then you do not pay us our attorney’s fees.
We will be transparent about all of the costs involved in handling your case. There will be no surprises during our partnership.
We Will File Your Case Within the State’s Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations governs how long you have to file a truck accident lawsuit. Some applicable deadlines are as follows:
- You have three years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit, as explained under CVP §214.
- You have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit under EPT §5-4.1.
You may think that you have a long time to take action. However, because of the time involved in proving fault, liability, and damages, you will want to take prompt action.
Some facets of your case could grant you more or less time to act. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can examine any possible exceptions and help you take action within the appropriate time frame.
Damages an Islip Truck Accident Lawyer Can Pursue
Our team understands the process of recovering damages. We have secured multi-million dollar truck accident settlements in the past. Some examples include:
- We secured more than $750,000 for a man who was hit by a truck. He missed at least a year of work and required multiple surgeries.
- We won $700,000 for a woman who was hit by a truck while pulling out of a gas station.
- We got $450,000 for a man who was “sideswiped” by a trucker.
Each of these cases came with its own set of obligations and circumstances. Depending on your case, you may be entitled to compensation for the following:
Economic damages include financial expenses that can be calculated through a review of medical records, invoices, and lost income reports. These damages can include:
- Medical care, including treatments, doctors’ appointments, and surgeries
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage costs
- Funeral and burial expenses (in the case of wrongful death)
You may be entitled to other types of economic damages.
Non-economic damages are losses that do not come with price tags. These can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance or guardianship
- Loss of inheritance
We will calculate the cost of your non-economic damages based on the details of your case. We will take into consideration your emotional well-being, mobility, and health condition when calculating these losses.
How Our Team Will Advocate for You
Our team has one goal in mind when handling your case: to recover compensation for your damages. We will do everything possible to secure a fair and just outcome for your case. When you partner with our team, we will:
- Handle all communications with the at-fault parties and their insurance companies
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation into the accident to determine its cause
- Gather evidence to build your case and support your claim
- Identify all liable parties and sources of compensation
- Calculate the value of your economic and non-economic damages
- Represent you throughout the financial recovery process
- Negotiate for a settlement that reflects your losses
We can also litigate your case in court if we cannot reach an agreement with the insurer.
We Can Build a Case and Establish Liability
In truck accidents, the financial recovery process can be difficult. By their very nature, truck accidents involve multiple parties. Often, establishing liability requires an investigation.
We have no problem investigating your case. This could involve talking to witnesses, gathering evidence, and consulting with experts. Through our findings, we may find that one or more of the following parties share liability for your losses:
- The trucker
- The owner of the truck
- The trucking company
- Manufacturers of the truck’s parts
- Mechanics who failed to properly inspect and service the truck
- The town or municipality where the accident occurred (if road conditions or poor signage played a role in the accident)
We Can Prove Negligence in Your Truck Accident Case
Building a successful personal injury or wrongful death case involves proving negligence. To do so, your Islip truck accident lawyer will gather evidence to paint a clear picture of how the accident happened and who is at fault. We will:
- Consult the trucker’s driving logs
- Interview witnesses
- Review traffic camera footage
- Read the police report
- Check the truck’s black box data
We can also review your medical records to prove that you were hurt as a result of the collision.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
An Islip truck accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can pursue compensation for your damages. If you cannot travel to us, then we can come to you. We will answer your phone calls within 24 hours if you have any concerns.
The first case review is free, and you pay nothing until your case is settled and compensation is awarded. Call us today at (516) 358-6900 to get started.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Islip, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.