If you were injured or suffered in any way following a bicycle accident, you could be eligible for financial compensation.
Understanding your legal options during this difficult time can be confusing, but an Islip bicycle accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe LLP can help you figure out the best path forward in your case.
Recoverable Compensation for Bicycle Accident Victims
As a victim, there are different types of compensation you could recover. This financial recovery depends on your losses and if you can prove that a third party was liable. It is possible to recover the following types of compensation:
- Medical expenses, which could cover hospitalizations, surgeries, doctor’s appointments, medications, medical equipment, ambulance transportation
- Legal fees
- Emotional and physical pain and suffering you experienced
- Damaged or destroyed personal property
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity, which is the amount of money you would make at work if your injuries weren’t so debilitating
- Reduced quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
If you think you have a case that qualifies for compensation, consider the benefits of hiring an Islip bicycle accident lawyer from our firm as you move forward. There are many ways in which one of our lawyers can help you during this challenging time in your life.
Why Hire a Lawyer from Our Firm?
Hiring a lawyer at our firm could help you and your loved ones navigate the legal process following your bicycle accident. In addition to having a team member available to answer your questions, offer support, and explain each step of your claim, we can additionally:
- Collect evidence
- Relay communication between you and the other party’s representatives
- Assist with paperwork
- Help ensure you recover the most compensation possible
- Expedite your claim
- Comply with New York State’s deadlines (Civil Practice Law and Rules [CVP] §214)
- Keep you from getting taken advantage of by the insurance companies
If you suffered injuries or loss from a bicycle accident and are ready to take action, a lawyer from our team can help. You deserve justice, so learn more today.
Who is Liable in an Accident?
Some bicycle accidents are straightforward, with one party clearly liable for an accident. In other cases, many parties are involved, and it could be difficult to determine who is at fault. It is important to prove liability if you are hoping to recover compensation.
If you believe another party caused your accident, it could be helpful for you to have a legal professional on your side to help guarantee that you can make a strong case in proving a third party’s liability.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can happen to anyone. Even if you do everything you can to stay safe, there are external factors that are out of your control. If one of the following causes led to your accident, it is possible that a third party was to blame:
- Drunk drivers: If a drunk driver was involved in your bicycle accident, you could have grounds to take action and even recover compensation.
- Distracted drivers: Distracted drivers sometimes are not aware of other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists around them. Using a cell phone, listening to loud music, looking away from the road, talking to passengers, or any other distracting behavior can put you at risk.
- Impaired roadways: If a pothole or impaired roadway led to your accident, it is possible that the party responsible for maintaining the roadways was negligent.
- Running traffic signals: Drivers running stoplights, stop signs, or yield signs can strike cyclists at intersections. This is a common cause of bicycle accidents and may be the reason for your accident.
- Speeding: Speeding vehicles sometimes do not have time to appropriately react to cyclists on the road.
- Vehicles too close to cyclists: If a vehicle was traveling too close to you prior to your accident, their dangerous behavior may have been the culprit. You could potentially prove liability against a third party in these cases.
- Merging errors: When two or more lanes converge at an intersection, it is important that proper right-of-way and merging techniques are adhered to. Failure to properly and legally merge can cause devastating bicycle accidents.
- Failure to give a cyclist space: There are several ways a motorist can fail to give a cyclist the space they need and cause an accident, including entering a bike lane or driving within three feet of the cyclist.
An Islip bicycle accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you determine the cause of your accident.
Injuries, Suffering, and Changes in Your Life
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 467,000 injuries occurred in 2015 alone due to bicycle accidents, with over 1,000 tragic fatalities. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that in 2017 nearly 800 cyclists were killed on the road.
Accidents, injuries, and wrongful deaths for cyclists cost billions of dollars in healthcare expenses and other damages. As a victim, you could be among the many who experienced loss from a bicycle accident. Your accident could change your life in many negative ways.
You or your loved ones could be dealing with financial repercussions, physical injuries, and possible emotional trauma.
It is not fair that you are suffering because of a third party. Remember that you have legal options and could even recover compensation. The team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can find out if you are potentially eligible for damages.
Contact us today for a free consultation
You do not want to miss out on your chance for justice and the compensation you deserve as a victim. Because of the statute of limitations, you could have a limited amount of time to act. Reach out to us today at (516) 358-6900, and one of our team members at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP will be available to review your case on a contingency-fee-basis.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Islip, call 516-358-6900