Motorists have an imperative to operate their vehicles with caution, especially in light of Great Neck’s congestion. You or a loved one may have been injured – or a family member may have been killed – because of a motorist’s failure to use caution. One of our car accident lawyers serving Great Neck can help you pursue a financial award.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for a free consultation about our legal services.
We Handle Insurance Claims and Lawsuits
Seeking compensation after a car accident could generally lead you down two possible paths:
- An insurance claim, or
- A lawsuit
Under certain circumstances, you could simultaneously file both. You may also initiate a lawsuit if you determine that insurance will not provide the compensation that you deserve, after failing to secure a settlement.
A lawyer from our team can assist you with a claim or lawsuit. These processes may be complicated and time consuming. Choosing to work with our team could ultimately help save you time, energy, and effort.
There Is Limited Time to File Suit for an Injury Case
You may have a limited time to file your lawsuit, if you are eligible to do so. In New York, victims of car accident injuries caused by someone else’s negligence have up to three years after the accident to take legal action, per CVP § 214.
So, do not wait to speak to us. The sooner you get started with your case, the sooner we can begin building evidence.
You Can Seek Compensation for Your Injuries and Losses
You or a loved one may be personally experiencing the harm that can come from a car accident in Great Neck. If you are the one who was injured in a car accident with a negligent driver, then you may:
- Be unable to work for the foreseeable future
- Be in great physical pain
- Experience mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression
- Require extensive medical care to treat your injuries
- Face a period of rehabilitation for your physical injuries
- Require treatment, such as medication and counseling, for psychological trauma
- Have substantial medical costs
- Be or become permanently disabled
- Experience a significant decline in your quality of life caused directly by your Great Neck car accident
Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer from our team can identify and estimate all of your accident-related losses, including past, present, and future losses. We will assign a value to your losses (and seek the compensation that you deserve for those losses) through a lawsuit if insurance does not provide adequate coverage.
Recoverable Damages After a Car Accident
With the many accident-related losses you may be facing, we could help you seek a recovery for many or all of those losses.
Depending on the details of your case, you could be eligible to pursue a recovery for:
- Medical bills, including the cost of emergency care, hospitalization, surgery, diagnostic testing, medications, physical therapy, and other ongoing care costs
- Lost wages, reflecting past paychecks you missed due to recovery
- Reduced earning capacity, if you will be unable to return to work at your former levels of productivity
- Pain and suffering, reflecting physical pain and other hardships
- And more
Intangible losses can require compelling evidence to prove. For instance, if you faced a severe injury along with a post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) diagnosis and you continue to experience flashbacks related to the accident, we can work to show the extent of your mental challenges through evidence.
What We Do for Great Neck Car Accident Victims
As part of completing your claim or lawsuit, one of our lawyers may:
- Interview any witnesses who saw your accident occur
- Hire investigators to document all relevant aspects of your accident
- Hire experts to recreate your accident
- Determine how much compensation you may be entitled to
- Document your injuries (and the medical care you received for your injuries)
- Document all additional accident-related losses
- Handle all communications with other lawyers, the courts, and other parties involved in your lawsuit
- Negotiate a settlement or complete a trial
A pre-trial settlement may be the outcome that one of our lawyers aims for, as you could receive fair compensation without having to complete the trial process. If a trial is necessary, a lawyer from our team will be ready to argue your case.
We Will Deal with Insurance Companies for You
Insurance companies representing you (and others) involved in your accident may have far greater access to resources than you do. The insurance companies could leverage their resources against your interests.
Auto insurance is a business – and naturally, companies are seeking to minimize their losses through claims payouts. Some of the ways that an insurance company may try to work against you include:
- Generally attempting to pay you as little as possible from your claim
- Offering initial compensation that is less than what you deserve
- Stalling in the processing of your claim, in doing so hoping that you will accept the compensation already offered
- Contesting the amount of compensation that you deserve
- Using lawyers to further drag out the claim processing period, again hoping that you will accept a lesser settlement
We will deal with the insurance companies so that you are not exposed to any nefarious tactics firsthand. Even when the insurance companies involved in your claim act in good faith, the coverage provided by your policy and the policy of the at-fault party may simply not be enough to pay for your accident-related losses.
We File Your Claim for You
A lawyer from our team will file your claim, ensure your claim is handled in a reasonable fashion, and negotiate a settlement. We may ultimately advise that you pursue compensation through a lawsuit if an insurance settlement does not occur.
One of our car accident lawyers serving Great Neck could help. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for a free consultation with a member of our team to understand what next steps you can take for your case.
A Lawyer from Our Team will Complete a Lawsuit for You
If you or your loved one are not adequately covered by insurance, then a lawyer from our team may bring a lawsuit on your behalf. We will determine who the party or parties responsible for your losses are, then file your lawsuit in the appropriate legal venue.
We will defend your rights during litigation, as we can handle all lawsuit-related communications and matters for you. This effectively removes you from any interactions that could result in a violation of your rights.
What to Do Following a Car Accident in Great Neck
If you’ve been in an accident, keep in mind that there are several steps that you can take to protect the value of your case—immediately after the crash and in the weeks and months to come.
We recommend that you:
- Gather your own evidence: If you’re able to do so, take down any witness contact details after the accident, as witness statements could prove helpful as we pursue a case. Also, you can retrieve a copy of your accident report through the Nassau County Police Department.
- Seek medical treatment and continue with care: We advise that you treat any injuries you may have immediately after an accident and then continue with any advised treatment. If you stop seeking necessary medical care, an insurance company could try to claim that you made your own injuries worse.
- Seek a free case review from our team: An initial consultation with someone from our team will not cost you anything, and it may help you learn more about the real value of your case and your next steps forward.
The Cost of Accidents in Nassau County
Great Neck and Long Island generally have a high concentration of people in a confined space. The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) notes that Long Island had 2,373 people per square mile as of 2018, far more than the state average. These residents of Long Island and Great Neck need to get around, which means that traffic may generally be congested. Accidents are bound to happen.
The New York State Department of Health notes several facts regarding motor vehicle collisions in Nassau County. Its findings include that:
- Vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists can all be the victim of car accidents.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) was a common result of car accidents in Nassau County.
- The costs of motor vehicle accidents in Nassau County include tens of millions in medical costs, nearly 100 deaths, and thousands of emergency department visits each year.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Is Here to Help
Completing an insurance claim or lawsuit can be a complex, lengthy process. You do not have to handle either ordeal on your own, however. One of our car accident lawyers serving Great Neck can take care of your pursuit of compensation while you focus on your recovery from the accident.
Call today at (516) 358-6900 to learn more about how the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can assist you.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Great Neck, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.