Great Neck and Long Island generally have a high concentration of people in a confined space. The Office of the New York State Comptroller (OSC) notes that Long Island had 2,373 people per square mile as of 2018, far more than the state average. These residents of Long Island and Great Neck specifically need to get around, which means that traffic may generally be congested. Accidents are bound to happen.
Motorists have an imperative to operate their vehicles with extreme caution, especially in light of Great Neck’s congestion. You or a loved one may have been injured—or a family member may have been killed—because of a motorist’s failure to use caution. A Great Neck car accident lawyer can help you pursue a financial award.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP (866) 878-6774 for a free consultation about our legal services.
We Handle Insurance Claims and Lawsuits
Seeking compensation after a car accident could generally lead you down two possible paths: an insurance claim or a lawsuit. Under certain circumstances, you could simultaneously file both. You may also initiate a lawsuit if you determine that insurance will not provide the compensation that you deserve, after failing to secure a settlement.
A lawyer can assist you with a claim or lawsuit. These processes may be complicated and time-consuming, so having a lawyer’s help could ultimately save you time, energy, and effort.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Great Neck, call 866-878-6774
A Lawyer Will Deal with Insurance Companies for You
Yahoo! Finance explains that auto insurance is an essential part of the economy, which accounts for hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue and continues to grow. Insurance companies representing you (and others) involved in your accident may have far greater access to resources than you do. The insurance companies could leverage their resources against your interests.
Some of the ways that an insurance company may try to work against you include:
- Generally attempting to pay you as little as possible from your claim
- Offering initial compensation that is less than what you deserve
- Stalling in the processing of your claim, in doing so hoping that you will accept the compensation already offered
- Contesting the amount of compensation that you deserve
- Using lawyers to further drag out the claim processing period, again hoping that you will accept a lesser settlement
A lawyer will deal with the insurance companies so that you are not exposed to any nefarious tactics firsthand. Even when the insurance companies involved in your claim act in good faith, the coverage provided by your policy and the policy of the at-fault party may simply not be enough to pay for your accident-related losses.
Your lawyer will file your claim, ensure your claim is handled in a reasonable fashion, and negotiate a settlement. They may ultimately advise that you pursue compensation through a lawsuit if an insurance settlement does not occur.
Speaking with the team for a Great Neck car accident lawyer could help you better understand the ways that they may serve you. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP at (866) 878-6774 for a free consultation with a member of our team.
Great Neck Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
The Cost of Accidents in Nassau County
The New York State Department of Health notes several facts regarding motor vehicle collisions in Nassau County. Its findings include that:
- Vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists can all be the victim of car accidents
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) was a common result of car accidents in Nassau County
- The costs of motor vehicle accidents in Nassau County include tens of millions in medical costs, more than 100 deaths, and thousands of emergency department visits each year
You or a loved one may be personally experiencing the harm that can come from a car accident in Great Neck. If you are the one who was injured in a car accident, then you may:
- Be unable to work for the foreseeable future
- Be in great physical pain
- Experience mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression
- Require extensive medical care to treat your injuries
- Face a period of rehabilitation for your physical injuries
- Require treatment, such as medication and counseling, for psychological trauma
- Have substantial medical costs
- Be or become permanently disabled
- Experience a significant decline in your quality of life caused directly by your Great Neck car accident
Any lawyer that you hire after your accident will identify and monitor all of your accident-related losses. They will assign a value to your losses (and seek the compensation that you deserve for those losses) through a lawsuit if insurance does not provide adequate coverage.
Your Lawyer Will Complete a Lawsuit
If you or your loved one are not adequately covered by insurance, then your lawyer may bring a lawsuit on your behalf. Your lawyer will determine who the party or parties responsible for your losses are, then file your lawsuit in the appropriate legal venue.
Your lawyer will defend your rights. Their handling of your lawsuit may effectively shield you, as they may handle all lawsuit-related communications and matters. This effectively removes you from any interactions that could result in a violation of your rights.
As part of completing your lawsuit, your lawyer may:
- Interview any witnesses who saw your accident occur
- Hire investigators to document all relevant aspects of your accident
- Hire experts to recreate your accident
- Determine how much compensation you may be entitled to
- Document your injuries (and the medical care you have received for your injuries)
- Document all additional accident-related losses
- Handle all communications with other lawyers, the courts, and other parties involved in your lawsuit
- Negotiate a settlement or complete a trial
A pre-trial settlement may be the outcome that your lawyer aims for, as you could receive fair compensation without having to complete the trial process. If a trial is necessary, your lawyer will be ready to argue your case.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is Here to Help
Completing an insurance claim or lawsuit can be a complex, lengthy process. You do not have to handle either ordeal on your own, however. A Great Neck car accident lawyer can take care of your pursuit of compensation while you focus on your recovery from the accident.