Great Neck Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer
If you were involved in a car accident—whether you were a driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian—you might qualify for compensation if you were injured due to someone else’s negligence. Monetary compensation can help cover medical bills, lost income, and other expenses related to the accident or your injuries.
A Great Neck motor vehicle accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, may be able to help you recover that compensation. Call us at (516) 358-6900 and let us evaluate your case free of charge.
Understand Why Motor Vehicle Accidents Happen
Table of Contents
After an accident, one question you might ask yourself is: How did this happen? The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) keeps track of the many and varied answers to that question.
According to their data, of the 254,829 New York car accidents reported to police in 2014, 78.5 percent of those accidents were caused by driver error or some other human factor. Human factors served as the majority causal factor compared to 22.8 percent of accidents caused by environmental factors and 3.9 percent caused by a problem with the vehicle. More specifically:
- Driver factors: Drivers can cause accidents by not paying attention to the road or failing to follow driving rules. Common rules that got violated were not yielding the right of way, following another vehicle too closely, and speeding.
- Environmental factors: A driver’s surrounding environment can provide many dangers and distractions, such as wet or slippery pavement, an animal running into the road, and bad weather that limits visibility.
- Vehicle factors: The vehicle is composed of many different parts that can malfunction. Vehicle parts that often cause accidents include brakes, tires, and steering apparatuses.
If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, you have only three years to file a lawsuit for damages, per the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, as soon as possible. We would be happy to assess your case free of charge and inform you about your options. Our phone number is (516) 358-6900. Let a Great Neck motor vehicle accident lawyer fight for you and for the compensation you need to recover your losses.
You May Be Entitled to Multiple Compensatory Awards
To hold the at-fault party or parties accountable for their actions and receive the compensation you need, you may file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Personal injury cases are for claimants who were injured in an accident. Wrongful death cases are for claimants whose loved ones passed away in an accident or due to accident-related injuries.
In your lawsuit, you may ask for economic damages, noneconomic damages, or both. Economic damages cover expenses or financial losses you had related to the accident. These losses may include the following:
- Lost income, including wages you would have earned if you did not have to spend time recuperating from your injuries
- Lost earning capacity, meaning that your injuries are severe enough to affect the progression of your career and, as a result, your ability to earn a living
- Medical bills, such as the cost of hospital stays, X-rays or other tests, prescription medicines, and treatment
- Funeral bills, such as costs for the funeral service itself, the burial, flowers, and other costs associated with putting a loved one to rest
Noneconomic damages, by contrast, cover your physical and mental injuries. These damages may include:
- Pain and suffering, which can refer to either physical or emotional pain caused by your injuries
- Reduced quality of life, meaning you had to give up enjoyable activities or get someone to help you with the basic functions of living
- Disfigurement, including any serious and/or painful scarring left by your injuries
- Loss of companionship, meaning your loved one passed away because of the crash, robbing you of their presence, affection, and guidance
For each item, you will need to calculate a specific dollar amount to sue for in your case. As an example, if you want to seek compensation for medical expenses, you can look at your bills to see how much you paid for treatment. This can help you figure out a reasonable amount to demand.
Calculating damages is not always this straightforward, especially when it comes to noneconomic damages. Your lawyer may help you figure out how much compensation you may be entitled to collect.
Get the Legal Help You Need from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
We understand if you do not feel up to pursuing a lawsuit right now. Motor vehicle accidents are jarring, and their consequences can last for months, years, or even a lifetime. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we believe that accident victims should not have to manage their own lawsuits while trying to recover from unimaginable injuries and losses. We can take the legal burden off your shoulders by:
- Assessing your case: Do you have a case? We can tell you during one quick, obligation-free phone call.
- Investigating your accident: We may look into your case and collect evidence—such as repair bills, police records, and eyewitness testimony—to prove your claims.
- Calculating your damages: Attaching a dollar amount to your suffering can be difficult. Your lawyer can discuss your accident with you and help figure out what is appropriate in your case.
- Negotiating for you: Your lawyer can meet with the insurance company on your behalf. They can negotiate for a settlement based on your legal interests so that you do not have to do so.
- Going to trial: If the insurance company will not pay a fair settlement, we are willing to continue your fight in the courtroom.
- Keeping you informed: We will update you about developments in your case and answer your questions along the way.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, is ready to represent you, whether at the negotiating table or in a courtroom. Please call us at (516) 358-6900, so we can get started as soon as possible. A Great Neck motor vehicle accident lawyer will fight hard for the compensation you are entitled to collect.