If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses related to the accident.
Legal representation can help you manage the process of recovering compensation. This allows you to focus on your recovery. Call for a free consultation today from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, at (516) 358-6900. We can speak about how a Rockville Centre car accident lawyer could help you.
Understanding When to Seek Legal Advice for Your Compensation Claim
Recovering from an auto collision can be challenging for you and your family. Having to manage your pain, deal with insurers, and make adjustments to your life to recover properly while worrying about paying bills can seem overwhelming at times.
It is important to remember that help is available at this difficult time, and you are not alone. It can be beneficial to seek legal advice if you have any of the following concerns:
- You would like to know more about how claiming compensation works.
- The accident involved multiple parties.
- You sustained serious injuries or disabilities.
- The other party is refuting blame for the accident.
- You are unsure about the current value of your case, including any future care expenses.
- You need help gathering evidence to support your case.
- You would like legal representation for all communications with insurance companies and other involved parties.
- You would like to focus on your recovery and have your claim managed on your behalf.
To discuss your case in a free claim review, contact the team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, at (516) 358-6900 today. Together we can help you understand your rights and determine your legal options for pursuing compensation.
Car Accidents Can Be a Frightening and Frustrating Experience
Depending on the severity of the accident and injuries sustained, you will seek compensation through your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. You may be able to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver who caused the accident if you suffered a “serious injury” as defined under New York Insurance (ISC) §5102(3)(d).
All motorists in New York are required to carry no-fault insurance to legally register and operate their vehicles. This insurance provides medical, financial, and other benefits for injured drivers and passengers involved in an auto collision, regardless of who is at fault. However, limitations apply. The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) affirms that basic no-fault insurance coverage includes:
- Accident-related medical and rehabilitation costs capped at $50,000 per person
- Coverage for 80% of lost earnings from work, capped at a maximum of $2,000 per month for up to three years from the accident date
- Up to $25 per day to pay for other reasonable expenses such as household help and transportation to attend medical appointments
- In the event of a fatality, the insured driver’s estate is entitled to death benefits to help with the cost of funeral and burial expenses.
You will need to file your PIP claim within 45 days of your treatment to recover medical benefits and submit proof of lost earnings to your insurance company within 90 days.
Suppose the accident caused one of the following:
- Loss of a fetus
- A permanent or significant limitation of use of a body organ, function, or system
In that case, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the other driver to be compensated fairly for the damage you suffered to cover expenses such as:
- Current and ongoing medical and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and compensation for any impact on future earning potential
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Other expenses related to the accident
You will need to file a lawsuit against the other driver within three years per New York’s personal injury statute of limitations imposed by NY Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214. A Rockville Centre car accident lawyer can help you understand the most suitable course of action for your situation.
Many Vehicle Collisions Stem from Another Driver’s Negligence
According to findings from a report on highway safety published by the New York State Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee, over 10,000 people were seriously injured, and 943 were fatally wounded in car accidents within the state in 2018.
Many auto collisions are attributed to negligent driver behavior, such as:
- Distracted driving from texting or using in-car technologies, for example
- Driving while impaired by alcohol, drugs, or prescription medication
- Driving while fatigued
- Aggressive driving—such as speeding, tailgating, unsafe lane changes, and disobeying traffic control signals
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident caused by a negligent motorist, we believe you should be compensated for your losses.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, the team works hard to seek a fair settlement for our clients. We understand how being injured not only affects injured victims physically and emotionally but financially as well. Because of this, we provide our services on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means that there are no upfront costs and nothing to pay unless we obtain compensation for you.
Benefit from a Free Consultation with Us Today
Your Rockville Centre car accident lawyer will understand the pressures and frustrations you face after being involved in an auto collision caused by another’s negligence. With over a century of collective time in practice, we have secured millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements while at the same time making the claim procedure as effortless as possible for our clients.
Along with our track record of success, our attention to every case means that we can help with the day-to-day issues arising from a personal injury claim. These can include:
- Assisting with urgent issues, such as seeking medical treatment
- Helping you fix or replace your vehicle
- Managing all communications with insurance company representatives
We are always available to answer your calls and keep you updated on the progression of your claim. If you would like to know more about how the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help, call for a free case evaluation at (516) 358-6900 today.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Rockville Centre, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.