If you have been involved in a car accident, explosion, or premises liability incident, you may have suffered a burn injury. These injuries can have a long-lasting impact on your life and require expensive treatment. Therefore, you deserve representation that will advocate for you and compensation for your losses. Our compassionate team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe understands the stress of recovering from these injuries. We give you the time to heal and handle every aspect of your claim with personalized attention.
Burn injury claims can be complicated depending on the circumstances of your accident. Our skilled attorneys have over a century of combined experience, so we have the skills and resources to negotiate with insurance companies and achieve a fair settlement. We proudly provide Rockville Centre victims unmatched legal services, which have secured millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements. Our dedicated Rockville Centre injury lawyers believe in transparent communication so that you always understand the details of your case.
5 Common Types of Burn Injuries in New York
Regardless of how you sustained your burn injury, they are often painful and need extensive treatment. Burn injuries fall into five categories, which include the following:
- Chemical: This burn occurs if your skin makes contact with harmful chemicals, like highly-acidic liquids and solvents.
- Thermal: Thermal burns happen if your skin is exposed to extreme heat. This may include fire, steam, or hot liquids.
- Cold: Extreme cold can also cause harmful burns, known as frostbite.
- Electric: Making contact with an electrical current can result in burned tissue.
- Radiation: If you receive cancer treatment, you may get radiation burns due to the high doses of radiation over time. Those who work near radiation can also experience these burns.
These types of burns can range from first to sixth degrees of severity, the first being the least serious and the sixth being the most severe. No matter the intensity of your burn injuries, you should seek medical attention immediately to receive treatment as soon as possible and have medical records for your claim.
Who Is Liable for a Burn Injury?
Because burn injuries can result from various sources, you may not know who is liable for your damages. During your free consultation, we listen to your story and gather essential information to determine an at-fault party, which may include the following:
- Bicyclist, motorcyclist, or motorist: If you got into a car accident through no fault of your own and suffered burn injuries, the other driver, bicyclist, or motorcyclist may be liable.
- Employer: If the at-fault driver was working when they caused the accident, their employer might be responsible.
- Property owners: Perhaps a property owner knew about dangerous conditions and failed to warn you. In this case, they may be liable for your injuries.
- Contractors: If contractors failed to follow proper safety procedures, they might be responsible for your burn injuries.
- Manufacturers: A product manufacturer may be liable for your injuries if the product was defective.
We strive to discover the liable party and hold them accountable. Our skilled lawyers are prepared to take on any challenge, even major companies. Additionally, we can help you gather evidence like medical records, police reports, and camera footage that prove the at-fault party’s negligence directly caused your injuries.
What Potential Damages Can You Recover After a Burn Injury in Rockville Centre?
If you have suffered burn injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue financial compensation. Depending on the severity of your injuries and your unique circumstances, you may recover the following damages:
- Current and future medical bills
- Ambulance ride
- Hospital fees
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages from missed work
- Loss of the ability to work
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Prescribed medications
- Reduced quality of life
- Surgery costs
- Punitive damages
Our knowledgeable lawyers can help you determine your claim’s worth and negotiate with insurance companies to achieve a fair settlement. When collecting damages in New York, it’s important to note the state operates under a comparative negligence system. This means each party involved receives a percentage of fault for the accident, and their damages get reduced by that percentage. For example, if you are 15% at fault for your burn injuries, your damages will be reduced by 15%. Insurance companies may try to assign you an unfair fault percentage, so we fight tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Trusted Rockville Centre Burn Injury Lawyer at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe
The aftermath of a burn injury can be overwhelming, so you may not know the steps to take to protect your rights and fight for compensation. Fortunately, you do not have to go through the legal process alone. Our seasoned lawyers at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe may manage every aspect of your claim, so you can prioritize your recovery.
We have served the Rockville Centre area for years and achieved successful results with our personalized approach and innovative legal strategies. You can rely on us to give your claim the attention it deserves. Our personal injury attorney, Richard Jaffe, is a trained EMT, so we understand the serious nature of traumatic injury cases like yours. If you sustained burn injuries from another party’s negligence, call 516-358-6900 or fill out our contact form. Subscribe to our Cohen & Jaffe YouTube Channel to learn more about our team and services.
For a free legal consultation with a burn injury lawyer serving Rockville Centre, call 516-358-6900