Garden Hoses Can Burn Children With Scalding Hot Water
Las Vegas emergency workers want to warn everyone about the dangers of hot water burns in children this summer. While there have been several reports of children having been scalded by burning water from garden hoses over the years, the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Department has recently issued a warning about the danger in an effort to reduce the number of incidents that will occur this summer.
The LVFD wants you to know that a garden hose left sitting in the sun during the summer can end up holding scalding hot water. For example, research shows that the water inside a garden hose can get as hot as 140 degrees when left out in the sun, which can lead to burns in living things including animals and children.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900
The Danger Faced by Children
There are plenty of stories of children who have been dangerously burned as the result of water hoses left out in the sun. For example, a San Tan Valley toddler in 2016 required extensive medical care after being badly burned by water from a garden hose. As a result of the accident, the child experienced second-degree burns on 30% of his body. The boy’s mother reports that she was filling up a kiddie pool and accidentally sprayed the child with the hose. To reduce the risk of other similar accidents occurring, the mother wants to warn others about just how hot the water in garden hoses can get during the summer.
Animals are Also at Risk
The danger presented to pets by hot water contained in hoses is just as substantial as the harm that can be done to children. One case study from Texas A&M’s Department of Pathology revealed that skin biopsy samples taken from pets between 2007 to 2010 led to findings that animals experienced thermal burns consistent with exposure to hot water found in garden hoses. Each sample was taken in locations where temperatures were known to rise to at least 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Researchers additionally tested the theory that water from garden hoses was responsible for burn injuries by filling both black and green hoses with water then leaving them out on a lawn in the hot sun. The temperature on these days rose to between 89 to 94 degrees Fahrenheit, and the water inside both hoses reached 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Advice on Dealing with Hot Weather
To avoid burning your children or pet while playing outside this summer, remember to let the water run from the hose for a bit after turning it on to ensure the temperature cools down. In addition, you can avoid the risk of scalding hot water in garden hoses scalding your loved ones by taking the following steps:
- Avoid storing water hoses outside whenever possible
- If you must have water hoses outside, make sure you drain them of water after use. You might also decide to use a hose wheel so water is emptied out each time the hose is put away.
- If someone is scalded by hot water found inside a water hose, remember that burns smaller than the palm of your hand are probably capable of being successfully managed at home. Anything larger will likely require the care of a medical provider.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact an Experienced Long Island Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one has been scalded as a result of hot water found inside of a hose and another party is liable, you should not hesitate to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Contact The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP for your free consultation.