If you or a loved one suffered harm due to the negligence of another party, you could be entitled to compensation for various expenses. A Rockville Centre personal injury lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you defend your rights and reclaim your life. Our team’s approach helps victims navigate everything from determining fault to negotiating with insurance providers.
If you are interested in recovering compensation, we are here to help. Call us today at (516) 358-6900 for a risk-free consultation.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury claims can be filed for a host of different reasons. Any time you or someone you love is injured in an accident that could have been prevented, another party could be liable for your losses.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, some of our personal injury practice areas include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. According to the New York State Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee, there were 10,996 serious traffic-related injuries in 2018. Our team can determine the cause of your collision and fight for compensation on your behalf.
- Workplace accidents. Accidents that occur on the job account for over 140,000 injuries and illnesses a year, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). These accidents can include slip and falls, accidents resulting from machine operation, and electrocutions.
- Construction accidents. Accidents occurring on construction sites include illnesses resulting from toxin exposure, forklift accidents, and falls.
- Medical malpractice. Claims against medical providers or facilities can include birth injuries, errors made during surgical procedures, issues with medication management, and failure to diagnose life-threatening conditions.
Even if you do not see your particular situation listed above, we encourage you to call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today. We believe that you deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. A Rockville Centre personal injury lawyer can review your case and advise you on your next steps.
Considerations After an Accident
After an accident, it may be easy to accept the first offer that is presented to you.
However, to protect your right to fair compensation, you should consider taking the following steps:
Seek Medical Attention
Even if you do not appear to be injured (or the injury seems minor), seeing a doctor is critical. Only a trained medical professional can confidently rule out injuries and document your condition. The information you get from your health care team can be used as supporting evidence in your New York personal injury case.
You may have supporting documents on hand that could support your case. Some pieces of evidence could include a copy of the police report, photos of your injuries, and property damage receipts, if applicable.
Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer
A Rockville Centre personal injury lawyer will handle your claim so you can focus on your physical recovery. They can investigate the circumstances of your case, negotiate a settlement, and explain your legal rights.
If you believe your injuries are the result of someone else’s actions, there is no need to shoulder your legal burdens alone. You can call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP at (516) 358-6900 for more information.
Possible Types of Recoverable Damages
The state of New York recognizes your right to go about your life with an expectation of safety. When others take actions that jeopardize your health and wellbeing, they can be held legally liable for any resulting damages.
You may be able to claim compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses. These expenses can include visits to your general practitioner, trips to the emergency room, hospital stays, surgical procedures, rehabilitation services, medication costs, and more. If you have been injured, you should keep all documents as they relate to your medical care.
- Pain and suffering. This can include emotional turmoil, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and more.
- Lost wages. Any wages (past, present, and future) that you have lost as a result of your injuries could be included in your claim. This also includes any loss in earning capacity if you are able to return to work but not at the same level as before.
- Disability. If your injuries have left you with a long-term disability, you could request compensation for the challenge of being disabled.
- Property damage costs. Suppose you were injured in a car accident. In this case, you could likely request compensation for your property damage costs. There are other situations in which property damage can be included in your claim for compensation.
The time to act is now. The longer you wait, the more likely evidence is to get lost or destroyed. You want to give your lawyer ample time to conduct an investigation and build your case.
Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214(4) gives victims three years to file most personal injury lawsuits (with the exception of medical malpractice and wrongful death lawsuits). A Rockville Centre personal injury lawyer will explain all relevant laws, walk you through the financial recovery process, and act as your voice at the negotiating table.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
Recovering from an injury that leaves you in pain and unable to work is hard enough. Adding legal obligations to the equation can leave you feeling stressed, overwhelmed, anxious, and desperate to accept any offer.
A Rockville Centre personal injury lawyer works to take the stress of the legal proceedings off your shoulders. By acting as your advocate, our team can give you the peace of mind you need to focus on what really matters: your health and recovery.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we understand that no amount of financial recovery can take away the trauma of what you have experienced. However, compensation can help you pay for many of the economic and non-economic damages arising from your accident.
Call (516) 358-6900 for a free consultation today.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Rockville Centre, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.