Helping You Recover after a Devastating Truck Accident
Truck accidents often produce not only devastating injuries, but also complex legal cases. If you have been hurt in an accident with an 18 wheeler or a semi truck, you will want to speak with one of our truck accident attorneys who understands the unique liability and insurance angles, as well as the trucking industry and federal regulations that govern it.
The legal issues aside, your case is about the harm and the hardships you have suffered. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our personal injury attorneys will do everything we can to help the victims and their families in the aftermath of a truck crash, and we put the full resources of our firm into recovering the compensation you need and deserve.
Here are a few of the many reasons you should choose Cohen & Jaffe to take on your truck accident claim:
We have seen firsthand the serious injuries that truck crashes cause. Richard Jaffe is not only an attorney. He is also a licensed EMT and a firefighter. He understands what you are going through because he assists victims of traumatic injuries in his role as a first responder. He knows that accident victims endure severe pain and face a long road to recovery.
We are committed to delivering exceptional client service and keeping our clients informed about the status of their case. You will work directly with attorneys Stephen Cohen and Richard Jaffe when our firm takes on your case. Your matter is important to us, so we won’t hand you off to a paralegal or an assistant. We will even give you our cellphone number so you can contact us whenever you have questions or concerns.
We are ready to dig deep to find out what really happened in your accident and seek the money you deserve. Truck accidents frequently have many potentially responsible parties and involve multiple insurance companies. You can be assured that they will put up a fight with so much money on the line. At Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we are ready to stand up for your right to compensation for the losses you’ve suffered.
We can help you put your life back together. Recovering from your injuries should be your first priority after a serious truck accident. We have the resources to connect you with medical professionals who can help you heal. We can also help you get your damaged vehicle repaired or replaced. Let us deal with the technical matters while you focus on getting better.
Experience counts in truck accidents. Contact us today for a free consultation with proven trial lawyers. Our truck accident lawyers handle accidents on Long Island and nearby areas, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens and beyond. Se habla español.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving New Hyde Park, call 866-878-6774
A Truck Accident Law Firm that Gets Results for Injured People
All accidents are different. Those that involve heavy trucks often produce the most serious injuries. They also involve some of the most complex legal issues. That’s why it’s important to work with a law firm that has experience handling complex personal injury matters – and a track record of getting results for clients.
Here are just a few examples of the many successes we’ve had in helping people who suffered serious injuries in crashes:
- $95,000 settlement
For a driver who suffered knee injuries in a crash that occurred when a truck driver made an improper right turn from the left lane of traffic. The injuries required arthroscopic surgery.
For a man sideswiped by a trucker changing lanes improperly causing a fractured leg requiring operative intervention.
For a woman hit by a truck that pulled out of a gas station into traffic without yielding the right of way, causing multiple fractures and years of rehabilitation.
How much is your case worth? It’s impossible to predict how much compensation you could recover without a consultation about the specifics of your situation. We want to listen to the details of your case and then provide you with your best legal options for recovery. If you have been hurt in a truck crash, contact Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP now for a free case evaluation that comes with no risks and obligations.
Call us now or fill out our online contact form. We are ready to talk whenever you are.
New Hyde Park Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
Long Island Truck Accident Attorney Frequently Asked Questions
What makes truck accidents different from car accidents?
Basic physics account for the severity of many collisions that involve a tractor-trailer or other heavy truck and a passenger vehicle. A fully loaded 18-wheeler can tip the scales at 80,000 pounds or more. That’s roughly 20 times heavier than the typical passenger car. When a heavy truck and a lightweight car collide, it is almost always the car – and its occupants – that fare worse.
How can a personal injury lawyer help me after a truck accident?
The insurance claims and lawsuits that result from a truck accident are often much more complex than a “typical” car accident. This fact makes it even more critical to get help from an experienced personal injury attorney. Your lawyer can fully – and independently – investigate the true cause of the accident and determine everyone who may be liable for the crash. Your lawyer can then work to recover maximum compensation from all available sources.
Who could be held responsible for the accident?
In addition to the truck driver, there are several others who may also be responsible for a crash. The trucking company that employed the trucker can usually be held liable for the trucker’s negligence. Other potential defendants include the company that owned or leased the truck and trailer (often two different companies), the owner of the cargo, the company that loaded the cargo, the company that maintained the truck, the manufacturer of defective equipment, among others.
What are the most common causes of a truck accident?
As with car crashes, there are many potential causes of truck accidents. While many of them are similar to the causes of car accidents, there are unique factors in the trucking industry. Driver fatigue is a particular concern with truckers, despite federal hours of service rules that limit time behind the wheel. Some truckers even use prescription or over-the-counter drugs to stay awake. Poorly maintained equipment, speeding and inexperience are other common factors.
Can I afford an attorney to help me get compensation for my truck accident injuries?
Yes! At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we handle truck accident claims on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay us nothing upfront and we charge no attorney’s fees unless and until we recover compensation on your behalf. Even the claim review and initial consultation are completely free and come with no strings attached.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Personal injury lawyer Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen have secured numerous settlements and verdicts for truck accidents in their 40-plus years of combined experience in personal injury and wrongful death litigation. They know how to conduct a sophisticated investigation to establish the cause or contributing factors of the crash.
Some common factors in truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue — truckers pressured to stay on the road well beyond the hours allowed under federal law
- Driver negligence — speeding, tailgating, changing lanes, pulling out, running stoplights, distracted driving
- Truck maintenance — worn tire treads, worn brakes, broken lights
- Dangerous cargo — improperly secured or hazardous freight
- Negligent hiring — accidents, violations, DWI, drug use, no valid CDL
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Investigating a Truck Accident
Truck accidents often involve multiple vehicles and serious injuries and property damage. They are usually quite complicated, and the true cause may not be apparent at first. That’s why it is important to get help from an attorney who has the resources to independently investigate the crash to find out what really happened and who should be held accountable for the crash.
Examples of the kinds of evidence that may play a role in a truck accident investigation include:
- The truck driver’s logbook, which may include evidence of overwork and fatigue
- The truck’s electronic data recorder or “black box,” which may contain evidence about speeding, failure to brake, and similar actions
- Maintenance records for the truck
- Evidence of drug or alcohol impairment
- The trucker’s driving record
- Physical evidence from the accident scene
- Photos of the accident scene
- Evidence of vehicle defects
- Cell phone records that indicate driver inattention
- Accident reconstruction
- Eyewitness testimony
We pursue all available sources of insurance coverage to make sure clients are fully compensated for the long-lasting impact of severe injuries. Richard Jaffe also has experience as an EMT (emergency medical technician) and firefighter. He knows firsthand the agony, terror and horrific injuries in trucking accidents, especially when victims are crushed or trapped. He uses those insights as he prepares a case for compensation, from future medical care or permanent disability to damages for pain and suffering.
Common Truck Accident Causes
Truck accidents can happen for many reasons. While semi-trucks, by their nature, pose a greater safety threat than cars and passenger vehicles, most truck drivers are safe drivers who understand the risks involved in operating such a large, heavy vehicle. Unfortunately, even the smallest distraction or lapse in judgment can cause an accident. Even one oversight in maintenance of the vehicle can cause a deadly problem down the road.
It is usually the occupants of other vehicles who pay the price when truck accidents happen. In a single recent year, 3,964 people were killed in large truck collisions, as reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Only 691 of the people who died were occupants of large trucks. The remaining 3,273 fatalities were non-occupants or occupants of other vehicles.
At Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we understand the common causes of truck accidents and how accidents involving trucks and passenger vehicles occur. Our firm thoroughly investigates accident claims in order to pursue maximum compensation for our clients.
We are here to help with everything. Contact us today for a free consultation. We represent victims of truck accidents on Long Island and beyond, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens and throughout the New York metro area.
Causes of Truck Accidents
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) published a Large Truck Crash Causation Study in which the various factors that contribute to commercial truck collisions were analyzed and ranked according to their relative risks. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue – FMCSA has issued Hours of Service Regulations limiting the number of consecutive hours that commercial truck drivers are allowed to be on the road, and requiring rest breaks at certain intervals to help prevent driver fatigue. When truck drivers violate these regulations, they put other motorists on the road at risk.
- Failure to follow safety regulations – Commercial trucking companies and their drivers are subject to a number of regulations issued by FMCSA for the safety of commercial vehicle drivers and the general public. Violations of these safety regulations can result in accidents, injuries and death.
- Failure to properly load trucks or secure cargo – When large trucks are not loaded properly, cargo can shift in transit and cause crashes. Cargo shifts are assigned a high relative risk importance by FMCSA.
- Alcohol or drug use – Over-the-counter drug use was a factor in 17 percent of the large truck collisions in the FMCSA study, while illegal drugs contributed to another 2 percent of the accidents. Driver alcohol consumption was a contributing factor in only 1 percent of the collisions studied. The legal blood alcohol limit for commercial truck drivers in most states and according to FMCSA regulations is only 0.04 percent – half the limit for non-commercial drivers.
- Aggressive driving – Driving too fast for conditions, making illegal maneuvers and following too closely contributed to a total of 37 percent of large truck accidents in the FMCSA study. Aggressive driving in passenger vehicles is dangerous enough, but when large trucks are driven aggressively, it can be terrifying for other motorists.
- Unrealistic schedules and expectations – Truck drivers are sometimes pressured by their employers to push themselves to the point of fatigue. The FMCSA study found that drivers felt under work pressure in 10 percent of the accident cases studied.
- Equipment failure stemming from defects – Large truck crash causation researchers found brake failure to be the No. 1 contributing factor involving equipment problems.
- Insufficient truck maintenance – Failure to properly maintain any of the equipment in a large rig could result in brake, tire or other equipment failure, causing accidents.
At Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Long Island truck accident attorneys can thoroughly examine your accident and all evidence in order to pursue a successful outcome at the settlement table or at trial.
Types of Truck Accidents
Tractor-trailer and other heavy trucks are susceptible to the same types of accidents that cars may be involved in. However, due to their size, weight and unique handling characteristics, there are some types of truck crashes that are particularly common or unique to trucks. This makes it even more important to get help from an experienced Long Island truck accident attorney if you have been the victim of crash involving a semi, box truck or other large commercial vehicle. When any sort of accident involves a large truck, the injuries and property damage are usually much greater than if the crash had involved only passenger vehicles.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in any type of truck accident, you have the right to seek full compensation from the responsible parties. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our truck accident lawyers provide focused, results-oriented representation to clients in all types of these cases.
Talk to one of our attorneys about your case. Contact us today for a free consultation. Our Long Island trucking accident lawyers represent clients in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County and Queens. Se habla español.
How Truck Accidents Happen
Truck accidents are different from car accidents in many ways. These differences include the way in which many truck accidents occur. Their massive size and weight cause trucks to maneuver, stop and accelerate differently from lightweight cars. The design of many trucks also makes impacts different from a collision that involves cars of similar size and design.
Some of the most common types of truck accidents include:
- When an 18-wheeler or tractor-trailer jackknifes, it puts everyone on the road in danger. The trailer can drift into an adjacent lane of traffic in jackknife accidents, potentially hitting other vehicles or creating serious road hazards due to blocked traffic lanes or debris from spilled loads.
- Rear-end collisions. A fully loaded tractor-trailer can weigh 80,000 pounds or more. According to the basic laws of physics, it will take a heavy truck much farther to stop. When truck drivers speed or follow too closely, the potential for a rear-end collision skyrockets.
- Head-on collisions. Any time two vehicles strike each other head on, the results are likely to be devastating. When one of those vehicles is a heavy truck, the outcome is often even worse. These kinds of accidents may happen when a truck crosses the median or center line – in many cases due to trucker fatigue.
- Most large trucks and the trailers they pull lack rear bumpers. This may allow a passenger car to slide under the trailer or truck body in an impact. One study found that underride happened in three-quarters of all rear-end collisions that involved a car that collided with the rear of large truck. These accidents can cause very serious injuries and are often fatal.
- Spilled cargo. Heavy trucks haul tons of cargo. If the load is not put on the truck properly and secured properly, it may fall off the truck and strike another vehicle or cause a serious accident when other drivers try to avoid the debris.
- Rollover accidents. Trucks have a very high center of gravity, which makes them prone to tipping This can happen when a trucker takes a turn too fast or when a truck driver swerves to avoid a collision. This problem is made worse when cargo is not loaded properly, allowing it to shift in the trailer or cargo area of the truck.
- Bridge strikes. Trucks are much taller than cars. Some trucks are unable to fit under bridges, overpasses and other structures that cross the roadway. When a truck driver does not pay attention to the height of the truck and the clearance of upcoming obstacles, the truck can collide with the structure and cause a serious accident.
- Large trucks – and particularly 18-wheelers – require much more space to turn and maneuver. If a truck driver turns improperly or makes a lane change without checking for traffic, a sideswipe accident may result.
Experienced Long Island Semi-Truck Accident Injury Lawyers
At Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our extensive experience and complete understanding of the law in these matters allow us to take a much more proactive approach to obtaining a favorable outcome for our clients. We understand the types of injuries that can happen in these accidents, and we know what kind of compensation is typically required to facilitate your recovery. We pursue every available option in an effort to protect your interests.
We have experience handling all types of truck accidents that arise due to any cause, including the following:
- Driving too fast for road conditions
- Truck driver fatigue
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Failure to follow safety regulations
- Impaired driving, including drunk driving and misuse of legal medications
- Distracted driving
- Following too closely and having to brake suddenly
- Accidents on wet, snow-covered or icy roads
- Failure to reduce speed for a curve in the road or an obstacle
- Brake malfunctions and other issues related to improper maintenance
- Aggressive driving
Experienced Long Island Truck Accident Attorneys
We are familiar with the main trucking corridors on Long Island, and we have handled all types of truck accidents, from tractor-trailers (18-wheelers) to delivery trucks, garbage trucks, construction vehicles and other large commercial vehicles.
There is too much at stake and too many urgent details to trust your case to an inexperienced lawyer. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP or contact us online and we will respond immediately. Our Long Island truck accident attorneys offer a free consultation, including home and hospital visits.