Were you involved in an accident resulting in a brain injury? The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is here to help you hold the party who caused your injury financially responsible.
A Lynbrook NY traumatic brain injury (TBI) lawyer from our firm can help you seek compensation for your medical care, lost wages, and more.
TBI Can Result in Severe and Permanent Complications
TBI is the leading cause of disability and death worldwide, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center. TBI most often occurs because of motor vehicle accidents, falls, or violence. The result can be a lifetime of physical and/or mental complications, including:
- Memory and judgment problems
- Decreased awareness
- Loss of sense of time and space
- Speech problems
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Mood changes
- Sleeping disorders
- Loss of coordination
- Loss of bladder/bowel control
- Reduced cognitive abilities
- Blurred vision
In New York alone, more than 400 TBIs occur every day, according to the New York State Department of Health. The result is more than 2,000 fatalities, 19,000 hospitalizations, and over 112,000 emergency department visits annually.
Our Lawyers Can Assist You in Seeking Compensation for Your TBI
If the accident that led to your TBI was because of another party’s negligence, they should pay for your medical treatment and other losses. We can help you seek compensation for:
- Emergency medical services
- Physical and cognitive rehabilitation
- Medical aids and devices
- Long-term nursing care
- Any other past or future medical needs related to your TBI
We can also help you seek compensation for your wages. A TBI can leave the sufferer unable to work during their recovery or in the future. We can help you pursue your back pay and awards for your loss of future earning capacity. If you sustained vehicle damages or other personal property damages during your accident, we can help you seek awards for their value.
If your loved one died because of a TBI, you may have the right to compensation for their wrongful death. This includes the cost of their final medical care, lost wages, lost inheritance, and funeral and burial expenses.
You Could Be Entitled to Damages for Your Pain and Suffering
The effects of a TBI can reach well past the impact the injury has on your pocketbook. A severe brain injury can change your way of life. Pain and suffering damages seek to offer monetary compensation for physical, mental, and emotional complications arising from your injury, including:
- Loss of mobility
- Loss of cognitive functioning
- Loss of one of your senses (taste, smell, sight, etc.)
- Loss of a bodily function
- Pain, anxiety, and depression
- Scarring and/or disfigurement
In New York, you may seek damages for a deceased loved one’s conscious pain and suffering. However, survivors cannot seek wrongful death damages for their own pain and suffering, loss of companionship, or mental anguish.
TBI Accident Liability
To win compensation, you must prove your TBI resulted from someone else’s negligent actions or lack of action. Examples of negligence and the negligent party will vary depending on your type of accident, such as:
- Slip and fall accidents – If you suffered a TBI during a slip and fall, the property owner or entity in charge of the property may be liable. Negligent conditions that could lead to a slip and fall include loose tile or floorboards, ripped or torn carpeting, lack of lighting, or poor snow or ice removal.
- Motor vehicle accidents – If your TBI resulted from a car, truck, or motorcycle accident, another motorist could be liable. Negligent driving behaviors include speeding, driving while intoxicated, and failing to obey traffic laws. Liability may also rest with the owner of the roadway or the maker of an involved vehicle if these issues contributed to your crash.
- Violence – If you suffered an assault caused by negligent security, the property owner may be responsible. Attacks can happen at bars, restaurants, nightclubs, and other public areas, as well as apartment buildings and housing complexes. Examples of negligent security include a lack of surveillance equipment, faulty locks, and the lack of a bouncer or doorman.
Whatever the cause of your TBI, our personal injury lawyers will investigate your accident and work hard to prove negligence. We will speak with eyewitnesses, enlist the opinions of medical professionals and other experts, locate available video or photographic evidence, and obtain official accident and/or police reports. We will build your case and pursue every dollar you deserve.
Our Lynbrook lawyers Will Fight for You Every Step of the Way
You do not have to stand up to insurance companies or take legal action alone. Our attorneys will stand by your side throughout the process of seeking compensation. If pursuing an insurance settlement is an option, we will:
- File your claims
- Manage all deadlines, paperwork, and communication with the insurance company
- Calculate and seek all available damages
- Negotiate for the best possible settlement for your case
If an insurance claim is not an option, or your claim is underpaid or denied, we are not afraid to take legal action. Make sure you reach out to our team before the statute of limitations on your case expires. According to CVP § 214, you generally have three years to sue for personal injury. EPT § 5-4.1 allows two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Can Help You Reclaim Your Life
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can put more than 100 years of collective legal experience to work for you. Our goal is to help you get the money you need but also to help you get back on your feet. We can help you find a doctor, make medical appointments, and provide you with 24/7 access to our team.
We work on contingency, so you do not have to worry about our services adding to your financial burden. We only collect a fee if we secure a settlement or verdict for you. To get started, contact our offices at (516) 358-6900 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation with a traumatic brain injury lawyer serving Lynbrook, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.