The physical act of slipping and falling takes a fraction of a second. The impact of a fall, however, can last a lifetime. If you or a loved one fell on another party’s property, our Lynbrook, NY slip and fall accident lawyers are ready to seek compensation.
Compensation in your case could account for your financial, physical, and emotional hardships. Understanding your options begins with a free case review with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP.
We Can Determine Whether You Have a Slip and Fall Case in Lynbrook, NY
Property owners, or other people who are in control of a property, have an obligation to keep their premises reasonably safe for those who enter. This protection extends to patrons at a store, workers at their place of employment, visitors to a home, and others.
Owners who fail to keep their property safe are negligent. When someone slips and falls because of that negligence, the owner could bear financial responsibility for the accident.
Your lawyer will listen to the details of your case to determine whether another party caused your slip and fall accident.
You Could Have a Case if You Were Hurt By the Following Factors
One or more of the following factors could have led to your fall in Lynbrook:
- Uneven floor surfaces, such as rippled carpet, uneven floorboards, and more
- Spills such as beverages or grease
- Poor lighting
- Clutter in walkways
- Unsafe ladders
- Uneven sidewalks
- Icy sidewalks or parking lots
- Slippery stairwells or stairways without rails
If a property owner knows about (or should know about) a hazard and they fail to fix it, they could be responsible for any resulting accidents.
Recovering Damages After a Slip and Fall Accident
To seek appropriate compensation, you need a good idea of how much your case is worth. Your lawyer will work with you to determine the value of your damages, then help you pursue those damages from the liable party.
You may be able to recover two types of damages, such as:
Economic Damages, or Your Monetary Losses
Here are some expenses you may be able to recover:
- Immediate medical treatment such as emergency care, ambulance rides, x-rays or other imaging services, surgery, and more
- Long-term medical treatment such as follow-up appointments, occupational or physical therapy, and future treatments that your doctors anticipate you will require
- Medical equipment including walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, and motorized scooters
- Changes to your home such as accessible bathrooms, widened doorways and halls, ramps, and more
- Past and future lost wages for unpaid time off work
Non-Economic Damages, or Your Non-Financial Losses
Examples of non-economic damages include scarring, disfigurement, impaired quality of life, and disability. Most clients want to know how much they can recover for pain and suffering. The value of this damage is contingent on whether:
- You are permanently disabled or disfigured.
- Your recovery time is especially long.
- Your injuries are especially painful.
- You develop one or more mental health conditions.
- You can no longer participate in your favorite hobbies or activities.
- Your overall quality of life is reduced.
We will seek every penny you are owed, whether through an insurance claim or a lawsuit.
Your Case Must Follow the State’s Statute of Limitations
The following New York laws limit the amount of time you have to take legal action after a slip and fall accident:
- The statute of limitations for personal injury, as established in CVP § 214, is three years.
- The statute of limitations for wrongful death, as established in EPT § 5-4.1, is two years.
If too much time has passed, you could lose the right to sue the at-fault party, even if your case is valid. We can file your case within the correct deadline and explain your rights throughout the process.
How Can Our New York law Firm Build Your Case?
Slip and fall accident cases can be complex. The other party might deny liability. It could be difficult to find some forms of evidence. You don’t have to worry about these things with us on your side, though.
Your lawyer can evaluate your case and guide you through the intricacies of seeking compensation. They can also assist you by:
Investigating Your Slip and Fall Accident
Your lawyer will investigate the circumstances surrounding your slip and fall accident, looking for evidence of negligence. Your lawyer will interview you and any eyewitnesses, take pictures of the accident scene, and review your injuries’ severity.
Determining how Much Your Case is Worth
Your lawyer will use evidence to substantiate his estimate of your damages. This evidence may include medical bills and records, pictures of your injuries, expert testimony, and past wage statements.
Filing an Insurance Claim
Your lawyer will handle all insurance paperwork. He will file your claim and submit supporting documents.
Your lawyer will seek damages that fairly compensate you for your losses. He will negotiate a settlement. If negotiations fail, though, he will take your case to trial and seek damages through litigation.
We Have Secured Millions of Dollars for Our New York Accident Claimants
Our law firm is dedicated to seeking justice and compensation for claimants’ losses. Here are some of our case results for slip and fall accidents:
- $875,000 for a client who fractured a hip after slipping and falling on a wet floor outside of a hotel elevator
- $225,000 settlement for a client who fell on a hazardous sidewalk, injuring his shoulder
We have been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2010. The organization gives us an A+ when it comes to our quality of service.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is Ready to Represent You
You could seek damages if you were injured or lost a family member in a slip and fall accident in Lynbrook, NY. A lawyer with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can manage your case and all of its obligations.
Call our office today at (516) 358-6900 for a free case consultation. Our No-Fee Promise means we don’t request payment until your case concludes.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Lynbrook, call 516-358-6900