When it comes to motor vehicle accidents, pedestrians are particularly vulnerable. If you were hurt in one of these accidents, you could face many losses. These could include high medical bills, missed time from work, and emotional turmoil.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Lynbrook can provide legal help. They can file your claim or lawsuit, gather supporting evidence, and handle all communications. They can also assign a monetary value to your intangible losses, like pain and suffering.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP has over a century of combined experience. We are ready to manage your case at no upfront cost.
Compensation in Pedestrian Accident Cases
Pedestrian accidents can result in significant financial losses for injured parties. Examples of damages you might receive compensation for include:
- Medical expenses, such as surgical costs, doctors’ visits, and medications
- Lost earnings while you are unable to work
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Permanent disability, scarring, and disfigurement
Furthermore, if a pedestrian accident leads to losing a loved one, you and other surviving family members may have a wrongful death case.
In this instance, you could be eligible to collect other forms of compensation, such as your loved one’s:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Lost income
The courts may also decide to award punitive damages in your case, if the other party acted with gross negligence or egregious conduct.
How Our Attorneys Can Help with Your Personal Injury Case
Some of the services that we offer include:
- Investigating your accident and identifying all parties who may be at fault
- Gathering evidence to support your case for compensation
- Dealing with insurance companies and their requests for documentation
- Answering your questions and keeping you up-to-date on your case
- Handling your needs as they arise, such as arranging for medical care
During this time, you should focus on your personal well-being – not your legal matters. Our pedestrian accident team in Lynbrook can take this burden off your shoulders.
Reasons to Choose Our Law Firm
Our personal injury team has more than 100 years of combined legal experience. We have also recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients over the years.
Here are some of the ways in which we can serve you:
We Can Help with Your Insurance Claim
We know that every personal injury case is unique. Therefore, we offer all our clients individualized services according to their needs. We develop a case plan and strategy that is best for you and revisit it as circumstances change.
We pledge to return your calls and respond to your concerns within 24 hours. In fact, you will have 24/7 accessibility to Richard Jaffe (our co-partner)’s cell phone number. You always will be aware of what is happening at each stage of your case.
We Can Prove Fault in Your Lynbrook Pedestrian Accident Case
Your case rests on proving that another party was negligent in causing your injuries. Negligence may occur when a driver violates traffic rules, such as by speeding or running a red light.
We will seek evidence to prove these elements of negligence in your case:
- The at-fault party owed you a legal duty of care.
- The at-fault party breached or violated that duty of care.
- The breach of the duty of care caused your accident.
- You suffered injuries and other losses as a direct result of the accident.
All drivers have a duty to obey traffic rules and drive safely. When they don’t, they could be held liable for claimants’ damages.
We Work on Contingency, and Your First Case Review is Free
Our law firm provides a free, no-obligation consultation about your case. You pay no fees unless you receive a settlement or damages award in your case. This contingency-fee structure means you get legal assistance without paying hourly rates or retainers.
We Have a History of Successful Outcomes
We’ve been practicing law for decades. In that time, we have secured the following outcomes for pedestrian accident claimants:
- We recovered $100,000 in compensation for a woman who suffered soft tissue spinal injuries after being struck by a vehicle while in a crosswalk.
- We obtained $300,000 in compensation for a pedestrian who suffered several fractures after being struck at a crosswalk.
- An 81-year-old client received a significant confidential settlement after a pedestrian accident left him with a traumatic brain injury. That case resulted in a settlement up to the available insurance policy limits.
Deadlines for Filing Your Pedestrian Accident Case in Court
CVP § 214 generally allows injured pedestrians three years from the date of their accidents to file their legal cases in court. Although there are a few exceptions, this filing deadline applies to most cases. If you fail to meet this deadline, you can lose your chance to collect any compensation for your injuries.
You Have Less Time to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
If you’re filing a lawsuit on behalf of a loved one who passed away, you typically have two years from the date of their passing to file, per EPT 5-4.1. Only certain family members have the right to initiate this type of action.
You Have Even Less Time to Sue the Government
Filing deadlines may differ if you are suing a government entity, such as a city or state. In these cases, you may have a much shorter time frame for filing (or giving notice of) your claim. You could have 90 days from the date of your accident to notify the government of your legal intentions, per GMU 50-E.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
Our firm can manage all of your case’s legal obligations, from filing paperwork to negotiating a settlement. We want to help you hold the negligent party in your case accountable. Together, we will work to get fair compensation for your injuries. A Lynbrook NY pedestrian accident lawyer can analyze your situation.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP at (516) 358-6900 today. Get your free consultation and learn more about your rights.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Lynbrook, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.