Rideshare companies, also known as transportation network companies (TNCs), offer travelers a convenient way to hail a ride using their smartphones. But, like with any mode of transportation, accidents can occur.
If you suffered an injury, the Lynbrook, NY, Uber Lyft rideshare car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP will help you seek financial compensation.
Our Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You with Your Uber or Lyft Insurance Claim
Accidents involving rideshare vehicles can be complex. Uber and Lyft drivers have insurance provided by their TNCs. However, their respective companies will likely push back against claims made against their drivers.
Whether you suffered an injury during a collision with an Uber or Lyft or while a rideshare passenger, we can help you seek justice. Our car accident lawyers can help file your insurance claim. Your lawyer will prove the involved rideshare driver is responsible for your injuries and fight back if your claim is denied or underpaid.
Uber and Lyft Insurance Requirements
Like all New York motorists, Uber and Lyft drivers must have private insurance that meets that state’s requirements. This includes personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, liability coverage, and uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage pays for accidents occurring when the driver is not logged into the Uber or Lyft app.
Rideshare drivers must have additional policies that pay for accidents and injuries they cause while driving for a TNC. According to Uber and Lyft, they provide the following third-party liability insurance for covered accidents:
- When the app is on and the driver is awaiting a ride request:
- $50,000 per person or $100,000 per accident in bodily injury liability
- $25,000 in property damage liability
- When the app is on and the driver is picking up passengers/engaged in a ride:
- $1 million in automobile liability
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage up to the cash value of the vehicle ($2,500 deductible)
Your Lynbrook, NY, lawyer will help you understand Uber and Lyft’s insurance policies (and how they’re relevant to you).
How Our Team will Apply Our Skills and Resources to Help You
It can be hard to know what to do after an Uber or Lyft car accident. However, our team has experience handling cases very similar to yours. We can do the following for you.
- Help you find a doctor and schedule appointments
- Fix or replace your damaged vehicle
- Deal with the insurance companies and protect you from harassment or pressure
- Give you 24/7 access to our team, including providing you with Richard Jaffe’s cell phone number
- Meet you at a location of your choosing that is most convenient for you
- Serve Spanish-speaking clients
- Investigate your crash
- Locate and interview eyewitnesses
- Track down surveillance or cell phone footage
- Enlist the help of experts
If we cannot secure an adequate insurance settlement, we can take your case to court.
We Can Help You Seek Awards for You Your Medical Care and Other Damages
Like all vehicle accidents, an Uber Lyft rideshare collision can leave those involved with serious injuries. These could include broken bones, whiplash, head, back, and neck injuries, and internal damage. Our attorneys can help you pursue damages for your medical treatment.
This may include awards for:
- Emergency transportation and services
- Medical and surgical procedures
- Medical devices and medications
- Mobility aids
- Physical and cognitive therapy
- Long-term nursing care
Severe injuries can also render the sufferer unable to work. Your lawyer can help you seek back pay lost due to your injuries and recovery. They can also pursue loss of your future earning capacity if you cannot work or must work for less income.
Pain and Suffering Compensation
Injuries can result in physical, mental, and emotional complications. For example, an injury resulting in paralysis robs the sufferer of their mobility. It also takes their ability to interact with loved ones and participate in hobbies away.
Pain and suffering damages attempt to offer monetary compensation for how your injuries negatively affect your quality of life. This may include awards for:
- Stress, anxiety, and trauma
- Depression and mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of limb or bodily function
- Sleep disorders
- Reduction in mental capacity
Seeking Awards on Behalf of a Deceased Loved One
According to EPT § 5-4.1, your loved one could have died from an injury caused by another party’s negligence. In this case, a representative of the decedent’s estate could sue for wrongful death.
Surviving family members may receive compensation for:
- Burial and funeral costs
- Medical expenses related to your loved one’s final injury
- Lost inheritance
- Lost financial support
- The value of lost support and services
- Awards for your loved one’s conscious pain and suffering
The law allows two years from when your loved one passed to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is longer. According to CVP § 214, you typically have three years to file a suit from when your injury occurred.
Rideshare Accident Liability
To win awards in a car accident, you must show your injuries resulted from another party’s negligent actions. Negligent driving behaviors include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Disobeying traffics signs and lights
- Making improper turns
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Engaging in driving distractions, such as texting, eating, or grooming
- Failing to maintain lane position
Our lawyers serving Lynbrook, NY, can prove liability for your accident. This may be the Uber or Lyft driver, or it could be another motorist or entity. Whatever the method, our primary goal is getting you every cent you need and deserve. You might have even been a pedestrian hit by an Uber or Lyft driver. You could still be eligible for damages in this situation.
Things You Should Know About Lynbrook, NY, Accidents
In Nassau County in 2019, car crashes resulted in 68 fatalities and more than 11,000 personal injuries. This information comes from the Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research (ITSMR).
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to get Started on Your Case Today
Our team wants to help you get your life back on track. We are here to provide you with legal services. Your lawyer can help you resolve concerns over your bills, transportation, and medical care. We have more than 100 years of combined legal experience, and we have helped car accident victims win millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts.
Our services will cost you nothing upfront or out of pocket. We take cases on contingency and offer free consultations to prospective clients. To learn more, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP (516) 358-6900.
For a free legal consultation with a uber and lyft rideshare accidents lawyer serving Lynbrook, call 516-358-6900