If you were hurt in a motor vehicle accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Our motor vehicle accident lawyers serving Lynbrook, NY, could recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Your first case review with our team is free and offered at no obligation.
Recoverable Damages After a Motor Vehicle Accident
Your lawyer will listen to the details of your case and gather evidence to estimate how much your damages are worth. In general, people who suffer severe injuries recover larger amounts than people with minor injuries.
Victims of personal injury can seek two types of damages: economic and non-economic. Economic damages compensate victims for direct expenses, such as bills and lost wages. Non-economic damages compensate victims for things like the pain they experience or a reduced quality of life.
That being said, you could seek the following:
Economic damages in your case could comprise:
- Medical bills, including emergency room visits, follow-up appointments, diagnostic imaging, surgeries, rehabilitative therapy, prescription medications, medical equipment, and more
- Lost wages for any unpaid time from work
- Future lost wages if you are no longer able to work or unable to return to your previous career
- Property damage expenses if your car must be repaired or replaced
You may be able to recover damages for non-economic damages if you:
- Became permanently disabled or disfigured
- Require a long recovery period or multiple surgeries
- Suffered excessive pain
- Developed psychological problems, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, or anxiety
- Otherwise face a reduced quality of life
The Benefits of Working with Our Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers in Lynbrook
Your lawyer will advocate for your best interests after an accident. Insurance company representatives may sound compassionate over the phone. However, their goal is to settle cases quickly and cheaply.
Your lawyer will work with you to obtain fair compensation for your losses, keeping you informed of your case’s progress along the way. Here are some ways your lawyer will help:
Your Lawyer will Investigate the Accident
The police and insurance companies will investigate the accident, but we will conduct an independent investigation to determine what really happened. To prove your side of the story, we will collect:
- Traffic camera footage
- Pictures of the scene
- Cell phone records
- Toxicology reports
- Interviews with eyewitnesses
We Can Determine the Cause of Your Car Accident
Your lawyer will investigate your accident for evidence of negligence. Our goal is to prove that another party (like the other motorist) acted negligently.
Here are some common types of negligent driving:
- Distracted driving
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
We will Seek an Insurance Settlement
We will use evidence, such as your medical bills, pictures of your injuries, vehicle repair bills, and past wage statements to estimate the value of your damages. We will use this estimate when we negotiate a settlement with the liable insurance company.
We will Take Your Case to Trial
Sometimes, we cannot come to an agreement with the insurance provider. When that happens, we will take your case to trial and advocate for you in court. This involves:
- Filing your case within the statute of limitations
- Taking depositions
- Building your case
- Presenting your lawsuit
- Calculating your losses
- Communicating with the defendant’s legal team
Whether we resolve your case via negotiations or a lawsuit, we are ready.
We Have Recovered Millions for Previous Clients
We have recovered millions of dollars for victims of personal injuries. Here are some examples of our case results:
- $1.5 million for a young man who needed lumbar fusion surgery after a rear-end accident
- $1.3 million for a lady who suffered neck and back injuries and a fractured nose after an unmarked police car broadsided her
- $1.2 million for a child whose skull was fractured in a two-car accident
Because every case is different, we provide an individualized approach for each client. Our dedication and compassion, however, stay the same as we work with you to obtain the best possible outcome.
Legal Deadlines in a Motor Vehicle Accident Case
You only have a finite amount of time to seek damages from the driver who caused your motor vehicle accident. Here are two critical New York laws relating to motor vehicle accidents:
- CVP § 214 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury cases at three years.
- EPT § 5-4.1 sets the statute of limitations for wrongful death cases at two years.
If you wait too long, you forfeit the right to sue the at-fault driver. Your lawyer will help you meet important legal deadlines after your car accident in Lynbrook.
Are Car Accidents Common in Lynbrook?
According to the most recent information from the New York State Department of Health, collisions are the fourth-leading cause of injury-related death in Nassau County.
On average, seven people pass away, 112 are hospitalized, and 1,028 visit the emergency room each month. Injuries from motor vehicle accidents lead to large medical bills, keep people out of work, and cause untold heartache and loss.
What is the Leading Cause of Car Accidents in New York?
Most accidents result from careless drivers who ignore basic driving rules, per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). All drivers owe other road users what is legally known as a duty of care. This is an obligation to drive safely and not place others in harm’s way.
Any driver who breaches this duty of care is considered negligent and may be liable for resulting accidents.
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Can Manage Your Case
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a Lynbrook, NY, motor vehicle accident, our firm can help you recover damages. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Call our office today at (516) 358-6900 for a free consultation. Because we work on contingency, you pay nothing unless we win your case.
For a free legal consultation with a motor vehicle accidents lawyer serving Lynbrook, call 516-358-6900