The safety of a vehicle is critically important to the well-being of the occupants when an accident happens. If the vehicle does not provide the proper level of safety, it can result in serious and often fatal injuries to the driver and passengers. Nowhere is this more apparent than in rollover accidents.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Long Island rollover accident attorneys represent clients who suffered serious injuries in rollovers and other types of crashes. We will take on any vehicle manufacturer that put you in danger. Our responsibility is to the injured victims, and we will do everything in our power to protect your interests.
Free Consultations at No Obligation to You
There is no charge for a claim evaluation and consultation. It costs you nothing to discuss your case with us, and there are no strings attached. Call us or fill out our online contact form now to discuss your case. We can even visit you at your home, workplace, or in the hospital if you prefer.
Causes of Rollover Accidents
Rollover accidents are complex crashes often involving the driver, the vehicle, the road, and environmental factors, as stated on Safercar.gov, a website presented by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Factors that contribute to rollovers include:
- Vehicle design – Although any vehicle can roll over, taller, narrower vehicles such as SUVs, vans, and pickups have higher centers of gravity and are more susceptible to rollover accidents.
- Speed – According to NHTSA, around 40 percent of all fatal rollover accidents involve excessive speed. Nearly 75 percent of these accidents occur on roadways where the posted speed limit is at least 55 mph.
- Alcohol – Almost half of rollover accidents involve alcohol, as reported by the NHTSA. Alcohol impairs judgment, vision, and muscular coordination and can make drivers more likely to lose control of a vehicle.
- Driver distraction – More than 90 percent of all fatal, single-vehicle rollover crashes occur during routine driving maneuvers. This data implies that driver factors, such as distracted driving and inattention, are significant contributing factors to rollover accidents.
- Hazardous roadways – Uneven pavement, poor road maintenance, and lack of warning signs can cause drivers to lose control, causing vehicles to roll over.
- Tire failure – Defective tires can blow out, causing a driver to lose control of the vehicle. Defective tires can also cause a car to pitch forward or sideways into a roll.
Common Injuries in Rollover Accidents
Injuries to the head, neck, and spine are common in rollover accidents. Roof crushes can cause severe or even fatal head injuries and serious damage to the neck and spine.
A study published by Orthopaedic Proceedings found the distribution of injuries in rollover crashes affect the:
- Head and neck (60 percent)
- Thorax (23.8 percent)
- Abdomen (15.4 percent)
- Upper limbs (47 percent)
- Lower limbs (34 percent)
What to Do After a Rollover Accident
You may hire an attorney to help you move forward after a rollover accident. As you deal with the pain and the chaos that an accident can cause, your lawyer can handle your case for compensation.
Our firm’s initial to-do list will include:
- Protecting you: Insurance companies, liable drivers, liable vehicle manufacturers, and their attorneys may try to violate your rights after your accident. The parties may try to have you admit fault for your accident. Insurance companies may try to have you accept an unfair settlement. As your representative, we’ll ensure that your rights remain intact.
- Preserving all evidence: We’ll investigate your accident, seeking any evidence that could be relevant to your case. Certain evidence may become unavailable with time—like security camera footage or photographs of the accident scene. We’ll act quickly to gather and preserve all useful evidence.
- Helping you start the road to recovery: We want you to start your recovery as we lead your legal case. We’ll make sure that you’re receiving the medical treatment you need, and we’ll gather documentation of the treatment.
Our team will then begin pursuing the awards you deserve. We’ll handle every step of your case, from the investigation to settlement negotiations.
An Attorney from Our Team Will Make Your Case a Priority
Our firm will make clear that your case is important to us. We don’t just tell you that your case matters—we communicate this fact through our actions. As one of our clients, you will:
- Be able to reach your attorney when you need them
- Have the backing of our firm’s resources—paralegals, financial support, expert witnesses, investigators, and support staff
- Receive clear answers to your questions
- Get honest responses to your concerns
- Receive regular updates about your case
We don’t make any promises to clients that we can’t keep. So that you know that we mean what we pledge, here are real client reviews for our firm:
- “Richard was very helpful from the beginning. He handled our car accident case with such responsibility and punctuality. Throughout the case, Richard checked in often, as did his wonderful staff at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP. I must have called the office a hundred times to ask questions pertaining to my case, the staff was always prompt and incredibly nice.” – Fleet, former client
- “I knew I had made the right decision when I decided on Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP. From the beginning to the end the entire staff made me feel as if I was family. Richard Jaffe took time to speak with me at all hours of the day with any concern I had.” – Rosa, former client
Expect sincerity and support from us—and nothing less.
Case Results Are a Testament to Our Firm
Our attorneys have experience representing accident victims throughout Long Island. Our case results are a testament to our experience and hard work. Recoveries include:
- $4 million for a client who was paralyzed because of an accident
- $1.5 million for an auto accident victim who needed a lumbar fusion after their accident
- $1.3 million for a victim whose vehicle was broadsided
- $1.2 million for a child injured in a car accident
We assess each client’s case individually. We will review your damages, determine their dollar value, and then fight tirelessly for a fair recovery.
You may be able to make a recovery for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Hurt in a Rollover Accident? Our Lawyers Can Help
Any type of vehicle can be involved in a rollover accident.
The vehicle roof crushing on impact is among the most common issues that arise in rollover claims. When a vehicle lands on its roof, occupants rely on the frame to withstand the impact and keep the passenger compartment intact. If it can be shown that a defective design contributed to the roof crush and subsequent injuries, the manufacturer could be held liable for the injuries suffered by the occupants.
Whether a defective tire or vehicle part caused the rollover to occur or defective vehicle design and construction failed to protect the occupants, negligent manufacturers can be held accountable in single-vehicle rollover accidents. If your rollover accident was caused by another driver and your vehicle’s design failed to protect you from injury, the vehicle manufacturer may be liable for your injuries in addition to the at-fault driver.
Contact Our Team to Get Started With Your Case
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we conduct a thorough investigation into rollover accidents to determine how the injuries occurred and which parties should be held accountable. When necessary, we bring in the appropriate experts to help us build the strongest possible case on your behalf.
Call our office or submit our online form now for a free case review. We will respond immediately. Our Long Island rollover accident attorneys offer a free consultation, including home and hospital visits.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900