It is hard enough to cope with a sudden and violent death in the family. It is even more difficult if your loved one was killed by a careless or reckless driver.
A wrongful death lawsuit may allow you to hold that driver accountable and compensate surviving family members.
Compensation for the Survivors Left Behind
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP seeks to obtain justice for your immense loss. Our legal team also helps with the immediate aftermath of a fatal accident, including dealing with insurance adjusters.
We take on case-related burdens, so you don’t have to. Contact us today for a free consultation. Our Long Island wrongful death attorneys handle wrongful death accidents in Long Island and nearby areas, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens. Se habla español.
Recoverable Damages in Long Island Wrongful Death Cases
We assess each case individually, understanding the unique damages you and your loved ones have experienced. We will listen intently to your story, showing compassion as we document your losses.
Some of the recoverable losses we may seek coverage for are:
- The decedent’s medical bills: If your loved one underwent medical treatment before passing away, we’ll seek coverage of those bills. Recoverable medical costs may include ambulance transport or medivac, surgery, hospitalization, and any other accident-related expenses.
- The decedent’s pain and suffering: We will seek fair coverage for the decedent’s pain and suffering. This damage, in particular, may be difficult for you to contemplate. This is one reason why victims like you turn to attorneys like us to lead their case—we’ll protect you from the uncomfortable details of a wrongful death case.
- Your pain and suffering: Surviving loved ones suffer immensely when someone passes away. Your grief, and counseling for your grief, may be part of your wrongful death claim. Other forms of pain and suffering, like lost quality of life, may also be recoverable damages.
- Lost financial support: If the decedent provided any level of financial support, then you might recover the equivalent of that financial support. We can determine the value of the decedent’s projected future wages and other forms of financial support.
- Loss of consortium: Loss of consortium covers lost companionship, parental guidance, and other forms of non-economic losses.
- Property damage: If your loved one’s accident coincided with property damage, we would seek coverage of that damage.
- Any other accident-related losses: We will obtain a full picture of your losses. If there are any other losses not listed here, we will include them in your wrongful death claim.
We must get the calculation of losses in your wrongful death claim right. This may be your sole opportunity to get financial justice for your tragic loss.
Long Island, NY Car Accident Fatality Lawyers
We can bring a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a surviving spouse, minor children, parents, siblings, or next of kin. There are two elements to a wrongful death claim: liability (fault) and damages (compensation).
Veteran trial lawyers Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen have handled thousands of motor vehicle accident cases, including many recoveries for wrongful deaths. They guide a prompt and thorough investigation to establish liability in circumstances including:
- Auto collisions
- Trucking accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Drunk driver accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Passenger deaths
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Uninsured river accidents
- Work-related traffic fatalities
What Our Long Island Fatal Accident Attorneys Do for Wrongful Death Victims’ Families
You deserve to focus on your grieving process. Our fatal accident lawyers in long Island will handle all of the legal details for you, including:
- Investigation of the accident that led to your loved one’s passing
- Identification of all of your losses
- Documentation of losses
- Collection of evidence from the fatal accident
- Negotiation of a settlement
- Completion of a trial
Trials are not always necessary in civil cases, including wrongful death. We will try to settle your case as quickly as we can but are open to going to trial if necessary.
While we lead your case, we will be in tune with your needs and requests. Our Long Island fatal accident lawyers will:
- Ask if there are any requests you have for us, and do our best to accommodate them
- Respond to your calls and emails
- Provide contact information for your specific attorney
- Support you with our attorneys, paralegals, experts, and investigators
- Fight for the best possible outcome to your case
We take wrongful death cases extremely seriously. Our experienced fatal accident attorneys in Long Island, NY understand what victims like you endure, and we want to take the legal load off of your shoulders.
Contact Our Long Island Fatal Accident Lawyers for Legal Representation
We may hire accident reconstruction specialists and other experts to establish liability in your case. We often work with other professionals, such as economists, to project the lost earnings of the deceased. In our experience, the most important “consultants” are the surviving family members adjusting to life without the decedent.
Richard Jaffe spends a lot of time with wrongful death clients so that he can understand all the ways that the person is missed, from paychecks and household chores to companionship and homework help. He is skilled at expressing the profound loss in terms that get the attention of insurance negotiators or jury members.
Call our Long Island personal injury lawyers today or contact us online. Our Long Island car accident lawyers offer free consultations, including evening and weekend appointments.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.
Office InformationAddress Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
2001 Marcus Ave W295 New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA