In the aftermath of a serious collision, you may be experiencing more than just property damage and auto repair bills; you may also be facing lifelong impairments to your physical and mental health.
If you have been involved in a car accident in New Hyde Park, a New Hyde Park car accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can handle your case on your behalf. Our law firm will evaluate the cost of your damages, such as your medical bills, lost income, and property damage expenses. From there, we will pursue compensation through an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Determining Compensation for Your New Hyde Park Car Accident
The damages you are facing will be specific to your car accident case. Your lawyer can review the invoices, billing statements, and receipts associated with your accident to determine the value of your losses. Additionally, they can project what future losses you can expect in the future.
Following a car accident, your recoverable damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Current and future medical bills
- Auto repair or replacement costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, a New Hyde Park car accident lawyer can help you pursue damages through a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. You may be able to recover the cost of the decedent’s funeral expenses, medical bills, and lost income. A lawyer from our team can explain what other damages you may be able to recover.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Long Island, call 866-878-6774
We Can Build Your Personal Injury Case
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we can build your case in accordance with the American Bar Association’s guidelines. For your case to be successful, your legal team will need to prove how the at-fault party in your collision acted negligently. From there, we can get to work negotiating with the liable insurance company.
Your lawyer must:
- Establish that the at-fault party owed you a legal duty of care
- Demonstrate that the at-fault party failed to uphold this obligation
- Prove that because the at-fault party violated their duty of care, they caused your accident and injuries
- Assert that as a result of the collision, you have incurred financial losses, such as medical bills and lost income
When you get in touch with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, you can ask us any questions that you have regarding your legal matters.
A New Hyde Park Car Accident Lawyer Can Gather Evidence
Your lawyer can help you gather evidence that works to establish the validity of your case and the cost of your damages. The pieces of information present in your case will help your legal team demonstrate fault and liability for your collision.
An investigation into the cause of your accident not only explains who can be held accountable for your damages, but the information we find can be useful when we enter into negotiations with the insurance company.
We can gather the following forms of evidence on your behalf:
- Photographs of the accident scene, your injuries, and your vehicle’s damage
- A copy of the police report
- Traffic surveillance footage
- Eyewitness testimony
- Your medical records
Our law firm can assist you in a myriad of ways. The sooner you act, the sooner we can get started pursuing justice and compensation on your behalf. To learn more about what pieces of evidence could strengthen your case, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today.
Long Island Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
We Can Communicate with the Insurance Company for You
One of the many ways that a New Hyde Park car accident lawyer can serve your case is by handling all communications with the insurance company overseeing your claim. The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) reminds us that New York is a no-fault insurance state, meaning that you will need to first file a claim with your own insurance company before pursuing more money from the at-fault party.
You may think that because you are filing a claim with your own insurance company, they have your best interests in mind. However, this is not necessarily true. The insurance adjuster may employ certain methods that work to deny or undervalue the cost of your car accident claim.
Yet, when you work with a lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we can manage all communications and negotiations with the liable insurance company. We can present them with evidence that demonstrates the nature of your accident and injuries. Furthermore, we can work to protect you against any unfair insurance practices.
To learn more about the benefits of working with a car accident lawyer, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today at (516) 358-6900.
The Statute of Limitations in New York for Personal Injury Lawsuits
The statute of limitations determines the amount of time you legally have to file a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. According to Civil Practice Laws and Rules (CPLR) §214(4), car accident claimants typically have three years after their collision to file a lawsuit.
If you file your case after the state’s statute of limitations expires, your case will be time-barred, meaning that you will likely be unable to recover compensation for your damages. The insurance company and the at-fault party’s legal counsel may try to prevent you from filing your case within the state’s statutory deadline.
A New Hyde Park car accident lawyer can work on filing your lawsuit within New York’s statute of limitations, so you do not miss out on your chance to pursue compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Types of Accidents
Auto Accident Attorney Serving Long Island, NY
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we help people who have been injured in auto accidents caused by the negligence of others. We pursue the compensation victims need and deserve. Our experienced Long Island accident attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience. We work on all types of personal injury claims, and have successfully handled thousands of New York traffic accident cases.
Personal injury, handled personally. Contact us today for a free consultation with proven injury attorneys. We handle accidents on Long Island and nearby areas including Nassau County, Suffolk County and Queens.
Types of Auto Accidents We Handle
Traffic crashes happen in many different ways. They occur for various reasons, and can involve different types of vehicles. Our experienced Long Island car accident lawyers understand that each accident is unique. We know the right questions to ask and the right steps to take to build a case for recovery of maximum compensation for our clients’ losses.
We handle all types of auto accident cases, including the following:
- Car Accidents: The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) reported 124,505 traffic crashes that caused non-fatal injuries in a recent year. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by another driver, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and other damages.
- Truck Accidents: Collisions with large commercial trucks can cause serious injuries to occupants of a smaller vehicle. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you need a lawyer who understands the complex legal issues that are frequently involved in truck accident claims.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Bikers lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle. So, they often suffer serious injuries in traffic crashes. Drivers of other vehicles often cause accidents when they fail to “see” motorcycles. This is not an excuse, and motorcyclists have the same rights as other motorists.
- Bicycle Accidents: Bicyclists have a right to share the road. Still, they are often injured in accidents caused by careless drivers of motor vehicles. The DMV reports 6,328 New York bicycle accidents in a single recent year. These accidents often result in serious injuries.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians are completely unprotected in traffic crashes with vehicles. In a single recent year, there were 344 pedestrians killed and 16,278 injured in pedestrian/motor vehicle accidents in New York.
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents: Large commercial vans and other vehicles can cause serious damage to smaller vehicles. These crashes can lead to serious injuries. Our firm has significant experience handling this type of accident.
- Emergency Vehicle Accidents: Even when they are speeding to the scene of an emergency, drivers of emergency service vehicles must show due regard for other motorists. When they fail to do so and cause accidents and injuries, our firm can help.
- Bus Accidents: We have decades of experience handling personal injury cases from bus accidents. Our lawyers understand the special factors involved in this type of case.
- Subway Accidents: Victims of subway accidents involving any vehicle owned and operated by the New York Transit Authority must file a notice of claim within 90 days of the accident. If you have been injured in such an accident, contact our experienced New York personal injury attorneys as soon as possible.
- ATV Accidents: If you or your child has been injured in an ATV accident caused by vehicle defects or negligence, our firm can help.
- Boating Accidents: Alcohol consumption, carelessness, and negligence contribute to boating accidents in the same way that they cause auto accidents on land. Our knowledgeable accident lawyers help injured victims of boating accidents.
- Distracted Driver Accidents: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving contributed to an estimated 421,000 traffic crash injuries in one recent year. Distracted driving takes many forms, including texting and cell phone use. It is considered a form of driver negligence.
- Hit and Run Accidents: If you have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you still have rights. Our firm may be able to help you recover compensation for your injuries. Even if the at-fault driver is never found, you may still be entitled to compensation through your auto policy’s uninsured motorist coverage.
- Drunk Driver Accidents: Victims injured in drunk driving accidents may be entitled to additional compensation. Contact our firm for a free case evaluation if you have been hurt in an accident caused by an impaired driver.
- Rear-End Collisions: Rear-end collisions are common in heavy traffic. In fact, they are the most common type of accident. Injuries that may seem minor at the time of the accident could have long-term consequences. Seek medical attention and consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
- Rollover Accidents: If you have been injured in a rollover accident, you may have a claim against the vehicle manufacturer. This is in addition to a claim against the at-fault driver(s). Our firm can investigate your accident to determine how it happened and who should be held accountable.
- Taxi Cab Accidents: Our firm has substantial experience working for victims of New York taxi cab accidents. We can provide effective representation in these complex cases.
- Truck Jackknifing: Tractor-trailers or 18-wheelers jackknifing on the road can cause accidents and injuries for other motorists. When you work with our firm after such an accident, we will pursue full compensation on your behalf.
Long Island Car Accident Lawyer
Take Steps to Protect Yourself After a Car Accident
After a car accident, the first step is to seek the necessary medical treatment. It is also crucial to report the accident to the police and then to your insurance company. Because New York is a no-fault insurance state, your insurance carrier must pay you for your losses no matter who caused the accident. However, you should know:
- In some cases, you may also seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurer. This is particularly effective if the crash resulted in permanent injuries, scarring and disfigurement, or the death of a loved one.
- As you speak to insurers, it is important to protect yourself. Answer questions truthfully, but do not provide information that is not requested. Do not say anything that casts blame on you. Do not downplay the extent of your injuries.
- An insurer may ask you to record or sign a statement, or the adjuster may offer you a fast monetary settlement. You should not record or sign anything, or accept a check. You could be signing away your right to seek compensation that you deserve.
- As you seek medical care for your injuries, and repair or replacement of your vehicle, save every record and receipt related to your car accident. These records may be used as evidence if you have a legal claim for compensation.
Our Nassau County Car Accident Lawyers Fight Insurers for Your Full Compensation
An experienced Long Island car accident attorney can help you build and file a strong claim for compensation. A car accident lawyer can even increase your odds of obtaining an appropriate settlement from your insurance company.
After an auto accident, it is important to preserve evidence and to contact a knowledgeable Nassau County car accident attorney as soon as possible, particularly if you have been seriously injured. Photos of your injuries, the vehicles and the accident scene may make a significant difference in your case. Witnesses should give statements while memories are fresh and untainted.
Our Long Island car accident lawyer will document your needs and losses. These could include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, disability or disfigurement, and pain and suffering. We are prepared to go to trial if necessary to get justice in your case.
Insurance companies employ adjusters who drive around Long Island. They show up at accident scenes and offer settlements on the spot to accident victims in an effort to save money. Your claim is almost certainly worth much more than an adjuster will offer you. Do not sign anything without first consulting with an attorney. You could be signing your rights away.
Speak to a Long Island car accident attorney from The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, now for a free case evaluation. If you are unable to come to us, we can come to you.
Seek Justice for Your Car Accident with the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our goal is to help you recover fair compensation following a car accident. A New Hyde Park car accident lawyer can get started pursuing compensation on your behalf today. To begin a free consultation with our law firm, call us at (516) 358-6900.