New York’s Agriculture & Markets (AGM) Law §123 notes that a dog can be considered “dangerous” if:
- The dog attacks or injures a person, farm animal, or pet without provocation.
- The dog behaves in an aggressive manner that is perceived as a threat by others.
If you or a loved one was bitten by a dog in Glen Cove, NY, the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can help you recover compensation. To resolve your legal matters, our law firm can gather evidence, negotiate a settlement, and prove various aspects of your case. To explore your options, call (516) 358-6900.
We Work on a Contingency-Fee-Basis
Personal injury representation has a reputation for being expensive. Because of concerns regarding the cost of hiring a lawyer, many people do not pursue compensation for their dog bite-related damages.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we want to provide legal help to those who need it. That is why we offer our services on a contingency-fee-basis. This means:
- You do not have to pay us any starting fees to get to work on your case.
- We take payment for our help out of the insurance settlement or court award we secure for you.
- If we do not win your case, then we do not charge you our attorney’s fees.
You do not need to concern yourself with hourly rates or hidden charges with us on your side. We started serving injured people because we believe in securing justice. You can call us today to learn more.
A Glen Cove Dog Bite Injury Lawyer Can Pursue Compensation for You
In New York, an aggressive dog’s owner is strictly liable for your medical bills. This means that even if the dog’s owner took precautions to keep their pet from hurting people, and it still bit you, these precautions do not matter; the dog’s owner must pay for your medical bills.
However, when pursuing compensation for lost income, pain and suffering, and other related damages, you must prove negligence. In this case, you would need to show that because the dog’s owner could not control their pet, you were injured and deserve compensation.
Types of Compensation
Below, here is a list of compensable damages that we may be able to recover for you and your loved ones:
- Medical bills – This accounts for the cost of the treatment you needed to address your condition.
- Lost wages – We can seek financial recovery for any income you lost while recuperating from your injury.
- Loss of future earning capacity – Your injuries may have placed limitations on your ability to work at your former capacity. We can recover compensation for this loss.
- Pain and suffering – A dog bite can leave you with physical pain, depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Disability – Your injury may have left you with lifelong impairment. Our team can calculate the cost of this expense based on the facts of your claim.
- Disfigurement – A dog bite injury can leave scarring and affect your physical appearance. Your Glen Cove dog bite injury lawyer can explain more about pursuing compensation for this loss.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to pursue compensation for property damage costs. For instance, if a dog broke through your fence and entered your yard, you could include the cost of fixing the fence in your claim.
We Are Ready to Build Your Case
Our lawyers can advocate for your legal rights while you recuperate from your dog bite injury. Our main goal is to recover compensation for your expenses. Keep in mind that New York Civil Practice Law and Rules (CVP) §214 gives you three years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit. For a free case review, call us today at (516) 358-6900.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Glen Cove, call 516-358-6900