Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic event, especially if you or a loved one suffered injuries as a result. Our team can advocate on your behalf for the compensation you deserve. Having your lawyer on your side can remove many of the responsibilities of proving your case off your shoulders.
The Process of a Car Accident Case
After your accident, you could have a lot to deal with. This might include your treatment, caring for a loved one, and chasing down compensation. You would likely start by informing your insurance company of your accident and filing a claim. Then, you will have to use evidence of your losses to argue your claim. You could get a settlement from the insurer that covers your losses.
If not, though, you could choose to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party for the remainder of your losses. This would require you to stay within the relevant statute of limitations and take your case to court. There, you could receive a judgment award.
Your Lawyer Will Manage the Aspects of Your Personal Injury Case
You may choose to hire a lawyer after a car accident for several reasons. Our lawyers will defend your rights from the moment we become your representative. We will also make obtaining fair compensation for you or your loved one the primary goal.
More specifically, your lawyer may:
- Handle communications with insurance agents
- Explain what statements or actions could compromise your ability to obtain compensation
- Pursue an insurance settlement
- File a lawsuit, if the liable insurance company does not offer fair compensation
- Gather evidence
- Document your injuries
- Calculate your losses
- Speak with experts and witnesses on your behalf
- Negotiate a pre-trial settlement, if possible
Your legal team may perform services that we have not gone into detail about here. For instance, we could visit the accident scene to look for evidence. This might look like us venturing out to:
- Glen Cove Avenue to check for pieces of your taillight after you were rear-ended
- Skunks Misery Road to photograph tread marks left over from when a reckless driver brake checked you and caused you to veer off the road
- Glen Street to analyze which business’ security cameras might have caught your parking lot accident
Medical Expenses that May Come from a Motor Vehicle Accident
Hospitalization and emergency room costs may only be a small part of the medical bills that can arise following a car accident. These costs can place a financial strain on your resources – especially if you do not have adequate health insurance coverage.
In terms of medical care for your condition, you may also be charged for:
- Emergency transportation from the scene of your accident
- The cost of scans, x-rays, and other tests necessary to diagnose your injuries
- The cost of rehabilitation for your injuries, such as physical or occupational therapy
- The cost of transportation to and from doctor’s appointments
The effects of your injuries could span beyond the medical realm. You may also experience impairments that affect every aspect of your life. Some secondary symptoms of your primary injuries may include:
- Recurring pain or other symptoms that cause distress, such as in your neck or back
- Interruptions in your work, as you may not be able to work while you recover from your injuries
- Permanent disability
- Lasting harm to your earning power
- Changes in your personality
- Unpredictable mood changes
- Changes in your relationships with others
- The onset of psychological conditions, such as depression and anxiety
- The inability to live your life as you did before the accident
Other Recoverable Damages Following a Motor Vehicle Accident in Glen Cove
Our team wants to recover a settlement or judgment that leaves you with no outstanding expenses. We believe that if another party’s negligence caused your accident, they should be responsible for the financial impact of the collision, not you or your family.
We will examine the bills, invoices, and receipts associated with your losses to determine what your damages may be worth. You may be able to pursue the cost of:
- Lost income, wages, tips, benefits, and bonuses
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
Things to Know About Fighting for Compensation
We encourage you to keep records of all of your collision-related losses so that your legal team can arrive at an accurate estimation regarding your damages.
Our firm believes that the party (or parties) responsible for your car accident should be held accountable for the cost of your collision-related expenses. We can help you recover compensation for your accident-related losses.
Speaking with your lawyer’s team could help you determine what legal options are available. We can aid in your pursuit of compensation either through an insurance claim or a lawsuit. Let us handle your Glen Cove accident case.
The Insurance Company Is Not Your Friend
Some insurers might call you soon after the accident to convince you to settle for an unfair amount. Do not accept an offer without talking about it with your lawyer first. We will not let the insurer forget about your future losses, lost wages, or reduced earning capacity. Just enough money to pay for your car repair and ambulance bill is not enough to cover all your losses.
The insurer might also try to “catch you in a lie” or confuse you into admitting fault. Once you hire our services, you can direct their calls to us. We can stand in the way of any shady tactics they might try to pull.
Possible Reasons for Your Glen Cove Motor Vehicle Accident
Some causes for your accident could include:
- Aggressive driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Failing to respond appropriately to changing traffic conditions
- Inclement weather
- Poor roadway design
- Driving under the influence of drugs, either recreational, prescribed, or over the counter
The Other Party Might Have Been Driving Distracted
The same source notes that distracted driving is becoming an alarming problem on New York’s public roads. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) states that 400,000 people were injured, and more than 2,800 people were killed because of distracted driving in 2018.
Some forms of distracted driving that could lead to an accident include:
- Reading and sending text messages
- Monitoring social media
- Posting to social media
- Taking photos or videos
- Taking one’s eyes off the road to address other passengers
- Turning your head to engage with those outside the vehicle
- Eating or drinking
If you or a loved one was injured under circumstances that you believe were preventable, then you may be entitled to collect compensation.
Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today
Our lawyers serving Glen Cove will represent your interests as you seek compensation following a car accident. You may need time to focus on your health, and hiring a lawyer may allow you to do that.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Glen Cove, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.