In the two-year period between 2012 and 2014, the state of New York saw an average of 1,098 deaths, 12,093 hospitalizations, and 136,913 emergency room visits due to traffic accidents, according to the New York State Department of Health. Many of these accidents are caused by the negligent or reckless actions of motorists.
A Queens motor vehicle accident lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can investigate your case and explain your legal rights and options. You may be eligible to recover compensation for your various collision-related damages.
Contact us at (516) 358-6900 to speak to a member of our team.
Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) reports that 98% of all collisions are the result of human error. After investigating the circumstances of your case, your lawyer may find that one or more contributors resulted in your crash.
These contributors may include:
- Texting while driving
- Failing to yield
- Following too closely
- Drinking and driving
- Running red lights
- Failing to obey traffic signs or signals
- Wrong-way driving
- Drowsy driving
Our team can investigate the cause of your accident and identify all potentially liable parties.
Examples of Injuries in Motor Vehicle Accidents
Your lawyer can consult with your health care team to learn more about the nature and severity of your collision-related injuries. They can also use your medical bills to calculate the value of your Long Island personal injury attorney case.
Some of your car accident-related injuries may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back trauma
- Broken ribs
- Torn ligaments
- Sprains and strains
- Fractured bones
- Nerve damage
- Internal bleeding
According to Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214(4), in the state of New York, you typically have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. To protect your legal rights, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today.
Pursuing a Wrongful Death Case
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1 grants you two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit. However, only certain parties are allowed to initiate this type of civil action. Only personal representatives of the decedent’s estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Yet, certain family members are allowed to recover damages.
You may be able to recover the cost of:
- Your loved one’s medical bills
- Your loved one’s lost income
- Funeral, burial/cremation, and memorial expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of household benefits
- Loss of income
A Queens motor vehicle accident lawyer can help you with the process of filing a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. You can reach the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP by dialing (516) 358-6900.
Examples of Queens Motor Vehicle Accidents
The type of collision you suffered will give your lawyer an idea regarding how your accident occurred. For example, if you suffered injuries in a rear-end collision, your lawyer may be able to assume that the other party was following too closely or engaging in distracted driving.
There are various types of motor vehicle accidents that may result in fatalities or serious injuries, including:
- Head-on collisions. Head-on collisions tend to be serious because they may involve two vehicles traveling at higher rates of speed. These accidents make up just over 10% of fatal traffic accidents, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III).
- T-bone collisions. T-bone collisions often occur at intersections when one car is turning left and hits the side of another vehicle. Because there are fewer safety features on the sides of vehicles, serious injuries can occur.
- Rear-end accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that rear-end collisions are the leading type of car accident. The driver from behind is supposed to provide a few feet of space between their vehicle and the one in front. If they do not, they may accidentally collide with the back of the vehicle in front of them when the vehicle suddenly stops.
- Rollover accidents. The NHTSA notes that rollover accidents can be deadly. Speed, alcohol use, and the point of impact can all contribute to the likelihood of a rollover accident.
You may not see your particular situation listed above. Still, a lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP may be able to assist you.
Potential Damages in Motor Vehicle Accidents
Your collision-related losses will be divided into economic and noneconomic damages.
Economic damages are those that have a preassigned monetary value, such as:
- Medical expenses for ambulance costs, hospitalization, surgery, medical appointments, and prescription medications
- Lost wages for the income and benefits missed due to your recovery period
- Lost earning capacity if you are unable to make the same amount of money as you did before the collision
Noneconomic damages do not have a predetermined monetary value. Noneconomic damages include compensation for pain and suffering, mental anguish, and disability. Your lawyer can calculate the cost of your damages so that you do not have to.
Contact Our Team to Get Started on Your Case
If you or a loved one was injured in a motor vehicle accident, a Queens motor vehicle accident lawyer can review the circumstances surrounding your accident and determine if you have a case.
We can help you by:
- Explaining your rights during a free consultation
- Investigating your case
- Identifying all potentially liable parties
- Gathering evidence to support your claim, including pictures of the accident scene, videos, and traffic camera footage
- Talking with your medical providers to get a better understanding of your injuries, how they occurred, and how they impact your life
- Representing you in mediation, arbitration, or other alternative dispute resolution methods, if advised
- Negotiating for a fair settlement
- Filing a lawsuit, if necessary
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP works on a contingency-fee-basis. You are not responsible for our attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf. You can contact our team at (516) 358-6900 to learn more.
For a free legal consultation with a motor vehicle accidents lawyer serving Queens, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.