Floral Park, New York, has many cyclists who ride for exercise, pleasure, or to commute to work. Still, they are at risk of injury when sharing roads with motorists. At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our Floral Park bicycle accident attorneys help cyclists who were hurt in accidents.
We have secured millions of dollars in compensation for people who suffered injuries in all types of accidents. If you were hurt in a bicycle collision, our firm is ready to discuss your legal options in a free consultation. You won’t pay any fees
How Our Lawyers Serving Floral Park Can Help You with Your Bicycle Accident Case
If you hire our law firm, we will take over your entire case while you relax and recuperate. Our job will be to:
- Investigate your case to determine how you were hurt and who the responsible party is
- Put together an evidence file that comprises the police report, medical records, witness statements, photographs, and traffic video
- Communicate with everyone involved in your case, including the other party, their legal team, insurance agents, and your doctors
- Handle settlement negotiations with the insurer
- Represent you before a jury if we don’t settle
As a client of ours, you’ll work directly with our law partners Stephen Cohen and Richard Jaffe. You will have their cell phone numbers so that you can reach them whenever you need to discuss your case.
Damages You Can Pursue Following a Floral Park Bicycle Accident
Every bike accident case we handle has its own set of facts. That’s one of the reasons we take the time to get to know our clients and listen to their stories. Our attention to detail and personalized service help us develop a solid case that allows us to fight for fair compensation for you.
In most bicycle accident cases involving motorist negligence, our lawyers build a solid case that allows us to demand full compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages during recovery and in the future if your injuries diminish your earning power
- Repair or replacement of your bicycle
- Pain and suffering
Because bicycles don’t provide sufficient protection, a bicyclist can suffer fatal injuries in an accident. If your loved one passed away from their bicycle accident injuries, you can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. You can request compensation for your loved one’s funeral, burial, and medical bills, as well as your loss of service or consortium.
You Have Limited Time to Act After a Bicycle Accident in New York
If you are eligible to file a lawsuit, you must abide by certain time restraints:
- Personal injury claimants generally have three years to file a lawsuit, per CVP § 214.
- EPT § 5-4.1 affirms that those filing for wrongful death are usually given two years to file.
Complying with these deadlines is paramount. As such, missing them could forbid you from seeking damages from the liable party.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Floral Park
After you get out of traffic and call the police, follow these steps:
Get Medical Help As Soon As Possible
Call 911 right away. If you are injured, you or the caller should request an ambulance. When the ambulance arrives, cooperate with medics and go to the hospital if they suggest so.
If you don’t go to the hospital in the ambulance, see a doctor on your own within 24 hours. Some serious injuries, especially potentially fatal head injuries, don’t show symptoms until hours later. Seeing a doctor also documents your injuries, which is central to most bicycle accident insurance claims.
Get the Other Party’s Contact Information
If you or a companion can after a bicycle accident, you are expected to exchange information as you normally would after a car accident. Such information may include:
- Full name and contact information
- Auto insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license or permit
- Vehicle make, model and year
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- License plate number
Document All the Information You Can
It will help a potential claim if you can document the accident with photos or videos. Take pictures of:
- Damage to your bike and your injuries
- Damage to the vehicle that hit you
- Skid marks or lack of skid marks on the roadway
- Any environmental factors that contributed to the crash
Take a video of witnesses to the accident stating their name and contact information (spelling out if necessary) and describing what they saw.
Be Cautious If the Insurance Company Tries to Contact You
We urge you to speak with one of our attorneys before agreeing to an offer from any insurance company. Insurance companies know the costs and losses associated with severe injuries suffered in bicycle accidents.
Their goal is to pay you as little as possible to settle a claim. A Floral Park lawyer with our firm can prevent an insurance company from taking advantage of you.
Common Causes of Floral Park Bicycle Accidents
In many bicycle accidents, a bicyclist is run down by a negligent motorist who fails to see the rider. Typically, a driver who fails to look for a bicycle in traffic has:
- Violated the cyclist’s right of way
- Failed to yield to the bicyclist
- Run a red light or stop sign and hit the bicyclist
Some motorists fail to allow a bicyclist to occupy the full width of the lane, as the law requires. As they pass alongside a cyclist, they sideswipe the bicycle and its rider. Other bike riders are injured in “dooring” accidents, in which someone getting out of a parallel-parked car suddenly opens a door in the bicyclist’s path. These are especially common accidents in the City.
Typical Injuries Bicyclists Suffer in Accidents
Injuries in bicycle accidents result from the collision’s impact and the cyclist falling to the pavement or against another object. Common injuries in bicycle accidents include:
- Fractures of arms, legs, hands, feet, pelvis, ribs, and facial bones
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injury (TBI)—this is more common among riders who are not wearing helmets
- Back and spine injuries, including paralysis (paraplegia or tetraplegia)
- Vital organ injuries, for example, to the heart, lungs, liver, and bowels
- Cuts, contusions, and abrasions
In addition to emergency medical care, the victim of a serious bicycle accident is likely to require hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation. A bicycle collision with a car or truck may leave the cyclist permanently disabled.
Our attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP bring a unique level of understanding to injuries suffered in bicycle accident cases. Richard Jaffe is a licensed EMT as well as an attorney. He knows how to provide emergency care to accident victims and understands the kinds of trauma a bicycle crash can cause. He also acknowledges the struggle that accident victims can face on the road to recovery.
Reach Out to the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today
According to the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT), the City installed nearly 30 miles worth of bike lanes throughout it. Even with these additions, bicyclists can still get into accidents and suffer severe injuries.
If you or a loved one suffered harm in a bicycle accident in Floral Park, the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is here for you. Contact us for a free initial consultation today. Our number is (516) 358-6900.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Floral Park, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.