Accidents involving pedestrians often cause severe and even fatal injuries. Pedestrians usually sustain greater injuries than other accident victims because they have nothing to protect themselves from oncoming vehicles. As such, these incidents can have devastating physical, financial, and emotional consequences.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, a New Hyde Park pedestrian accident attorney can help you demand the compensation you deserve. When you choose the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, to represent you, we will fight for you to get the maximum amount of compensation possible so you can focus on recovering.
How Much Could My Pedestrian Injury Case Be Worth?
Each pedestrian accident case has a different set of circumstances that can impact the amount your case could be worth. Our attorneys will calculate the amount of damages to determine the amount of compensation you could seek. Recoverable damages are meant to compensate the injured party for their losses. Damages can include both economic and non-economic losses.
Economic Damages You Could Recover
Economic damages include objectively verifiable monetary losses a victim has or will incur because of the accident. Examples of economic damages in a pedestrian accident case include:
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property loss
The value of economic damages is easier to calculate because the number of losses can be readily documented through receipts and invoices.
Non-Economic Damages You Could Recover
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
Non-economic losses are more difficult to calculate because they do not come with documentation noting the exact monetary value. However, our attorneys can calculate the value of your non-economic damages.
Benefits of Choosing Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
At Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, our goal is to help you reclaim your life after suffering serious injuries. We have more than a century of collective experience and have secured millions of dollars through settlements and verdicts.
We always work with our clients’ best interests in mind. Not only do we fight for you to receive maximum compensation, but we will also help you with:
- Finding the right doctors
- Finding someone to repair damage to your property
- Dealing with insurance adjusters
When you come in for a free consultation, we will give an honest assessment of your case’s merits. Communication is important to us at our firm, and we will always keep you informed of developments as they happen. As a client, you will receive Richard Jaffe’s cellphone number if you have urgent issues. Any calls or messages will be returned within 24 hours.
Our New Hyde Park pedestrian accident attorneys will negotiate with insurance companies to reach a fair settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, we are prepared to take your case to trial.
Check Out Our Past Case Results
Our attorneys have recovered over $1 million for our injured clients. We will fight for your rights to receive the maximum amount of compensation available. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of your case, we can guarantee aggressive and effective representation.
Here are some of our past verdicts and settlements in pedestrian accident cases:
- $100,000 was recovered through a settlement for a pedestrian who was struck while on a crosswalk. During the accident, our client sustained soft tissue spinal injuries.
- $300,000 was recovered through a settlement for a pedestrian who was struck in a crosswalk. Our client suffered multiple fractures from the accident.
You Have a Limited Time to Act
According to CVP § 214, in the state of New York, you have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a claim. While this may seem like you have a lot of time, it is important to have our attorneys start working on the case as soon as possible. The more time we have to investigate thoroughly, the stronger your case will be.
Speak with our attorneys today so we can start preparing your claim. If you miss the deadline, you will no longer be able to seek compensation for your injuries in court.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Though there are laws put into place to keep pedestrians safe, accidents still happen. There are many causes for pedestrian accidents, but some are more common than others. These include:
- Distracted drivers: Drivers who are texting, talking on a cell phone, or eating could be looking away from the roads causing them to not see pedestrians.
- Reckless driving: A driver who does not obey traffic laws can be dangerous to pedestrians. Especially when they are not following the laws related to crosswalks.
- Impaired drivers: If a driver is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, they can be a danger to pedestrians. They will also be a danger to everyone else on the road. Impaired drivers could run red lights, ignore crosswalks, and disobey the rules of the road.
- Bad weather: If the road is slick, a vehicle could attempt to stop for a pedestrian but continue sliding after they have put on the break.
- Vehicles making left turns: Left-turn accidents are common because drivers are often looking at the oncoming traffic to determine when they can turn left. They may not see the pedestrians in the crosswalk area until it is too late.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accident injuries can be very severe, if not fatal. There is no protective equipment surrounding pedestrians, and that causes them to be more vulnerable to severe injuries. Common injuries associated with pedestrian accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries (the upper and lower legs and knees are most commonly injured)
- Chest and abdominal injuries
Many of these injuries can lead to long-term disabilities that require extensive ongoing medical treatments. If you have a large number of expenses due to injuries you sustained in a pedestrian accident, our attorneys can help you recover those losses.
What to Do After You Have Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident
Being in a pedestrian accident can be an overwhelming and scary experience. If you can, it is important to take the following steps after you or a loved one was injured:
- Make sure everyone is safe: Make sure the accident scene is safe by moving everyone you can out of traffic.
- Get medical attention: Call an ambulance so everyone involved in the accident can receive medical attention. Even if you feel your injuries are minor, getting your injuries checked out and documented is important.
- Contact the police: When calling for an ambulance, ask for a police officer to arrive on the scene so they can file an accident report.
- Exchange information: Get the name, contact information, and insurance information of everyone involved in the accident. At this time, also get the name and contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact a New Hyde Park pedestrian accident attorney: An attorney who has handled pedestrian accidents before will be able to help you seek compensation for your losses.
Call Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Today to Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
Our pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to fight for your right to seek compensation. The lawyers at our firm will give each case the attention and care needed. Contact us today by calling 516-358-6900 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving New Hyde Park, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.
Office InformationAddress Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP
2001 Marcus Ave W295 New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA