If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, the Law Offices of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP are here to help you. Our Levittown pedestrian accident lawyers have over 100 years of collective experience and have secured millions of dollars in settlements for victims like you.
Call (516) 358-6900 today for a free consultation. From there, you’ll work directly with the law partners Richard Jaffe and Stephen Cohen to build a case and ensure your family’s well-being is kept top of mind from beginning to end.
We’ll Help You Understand Your Rights After An Accident
Pedestrians are expected to respect traffic signals, cross streets in designated areas, yield to vehicles, and generally remain alert to their surroundings. Given their susceptibility to serious and life-threatening injuries when struck by a vehicle, motorists bear the responsibility of ensuring pedestrian safety even when these guidelines aren’t adhered to. Drivers are at fault in nearly all accidents involving pedestrians.
Some causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as driving while texting, emailing, and eating
- Aggressive driving, such as swerving in between lanes, changing lanes without signaling, racing to beat a light, and more
- Impaired driving either because of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy driving, including driving while excessively tired
- Reckless driving, such as speeding, failing to yield for pedestrians, and more
In each of these instances, the cause of your accident boils down to driver negligence. A Levittown pedestrian accident lawyer can review photos, videos, eyewitness testimonies, and medical reports to chronicle the events leading up to the accident and pinpoint who is responsible for your injuries. Once the fault for the accident is established, your attorney will catalog your damages.
Damages You May Be Able to Seek Compensation For
There are more than one forms of losses for which you may be eligible to seek compensation, including:
- Medical Bills: Any doctor, emergency room, hospital, surgery, or rehabilitation services bills for injuries or illnesses resulting from your accident.
- Income Loss: Any past, present, or future loss of income or earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Any costs associated with pain and suffering you’re experiencing as a result of the accident.
- Funeral and Burial Costs: Any costs associated with providing a loved one with a proper burial after a fatal accident.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we believe that legal representation is a right, not a privilege reserved for only those who can afford it. Our team offers all legal services on a contingency fee basis to ensure you are able to focus on rebuilding your life without worrying about legal fees. The first call is free, and we collect nothing unless a settlement is awarded.
Establishing Fault and Determining Liability
You may be able to seek compensation from third parties. This means that, in some instances, parties other than the motorist can be responsible for the collision. For example, if a bus company neglects its responsibility to properly vet and train its drivers and one of its employees strikes you; you may be able to seek compensation from the driver and the bus company itself.
Liable parties may include:
- The driver of the car, motorcycle, bus, or truck that struck you
- The bus or trucking company that employs the driver who struck you
- The employer of drivers who hit you while driving on the job
- Manufacturers of defective vehicles or parts
- Governmental agencies who fail to ensure pedestrian safety
Proving third-party liability is complicated and requires a comprehensive investigation by experts who know what to look for. Your attorney will review the evidence to identify everyone who played a role in your accident.
Do You Really Need an Attorney?
Hiring an attorney can help you focus on your recovery and health while also handling your legal case. A lawyer with our firm can:
- Assist you with your immediate needs. These can include finding a reputable doctor, contacting your employer, arranging transportation to doctor appointments, and more.
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation to uncover evidence and establish fault and identify all potentially liable parties.
- Calculate and document the value of your injuries to ensure they include both current losses and accurate projections of future expenses.
- Collect and compile documentation of all losses to present to insurance companies.
- Handle all communication with insurance companies, negotiate on your behalf until a fair settlement can be agreed on, and litigate in court if an agreement cannot be reached through negotiation.
Call Our Attorneys Today
The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can handle your case while you rest and spend time with your loved ones. We can begin to help you by filing an insurance claim, and we can also pursue a personal injury lawsuit if the insurance company refuses to offer you fair compensation. Call (516) 358-6900 to speak with a member of our team for free.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Levittown, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.