Anyone who has survived a motor vehicle accident knows how devastating the physical, emotional, and financial consequences can be. However, you do not have to cope with them by yourself. A Babylon motor vehicle accident lawyer can help you fight for much-needed monetary compensation. Call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, at (516) 358-6900 for a free case review and learn more about how we can be of service.
Driving Is a Big Responsibility
Driving is regulated by traffic laws to keep people safe on the road. For example, anti-distracted driving laws were set in place in several states across the United States to combat the use of cellphones and other handheld devices while driving. In New York State, using a cellphone while driving has been illegal since 2001.
However, being a safe and courteous driver involves more than putting away your phone. According to NY Vehicle & Traffic (VAT) §1146, drivers must exercise caution around pedestrians, bicyclists, and domestic animals. If they do not, they may face legal repercussions. In other words, following proper driving etiquette and looking out for your fellow road users is not just the right thing to do, but it is also the law. Failing to do this may have life-altering consequences for both you and everyone else on the road.
If you or a loved one was the victim of a negligent or reckless driver, help is available. You may be able to sue for compensation, and the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, can help you do so. Call us at (516) 358-6900 for a free case review. A Babylon motor vehicle accident lawyer can start on your case right away.
You May Get Compensated for Economic and Noneconomic Damages
If you lost or had to spend money because of your accident, you may be entitled to economic damages. These damages may compensate you for things like:
- Loss of wages or benefits, such as the money you were unable to earn while taking time off to recover from your injuries
- Vehicle expenses, such as repairing or replacing a damaged motor vehicle, or even paying for a rental car while your own car was being fixed
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, doctors’ appointments, physical therapy, prescription medication, and general treatment costs
- Other expenses, such as for childcare, lawncare, or travel expenses related to your medical treatments
Noneconomic damages are less concrete than economic damages, but they are no less important. In fact, they can be even more devastating than the financial costs of the accident. These damages may include things like:
- Pain and suffering, such as physical pain or emotional anguish
- Permanent disability, such as the loss or partial loss of a sense, organ, or other important bodily function
- Disfigurement, such as permanent and painful scarring
- Loss of consortium, such as any negative impacts the injury had on your marital relationship with your spouse
Which of these economic and noneconomic damages do you qualify for? How much money can you expect to recover for each type of damage? The answers to these questions may depend on the specifics of your accident and your injury. You can speak with a representative at our law firm about the damages you experienced after your accident. Our team wants to help you fight for the compensation you need.
Let a Lawyer from Our Law Firm Help You with Your Lawsuit
Car owners must meet the minimum auto insurance coverage requirements in case they get into an accident, according to the New York Department of Financial Services (DFS). So, if you sue a driver, you will be dealing with their insurance company rather than the driver themselves. The same is true if you sue a manufacturer or a maintenance company.
Confronting a big insurance company can be daunting. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, is prepared to take on that task for you, as well as every other task associated with your lawsuit. We can help you by:
- Evaluating your case: At no charge and no obligation to you, we can tell you if you have a case. If you do, we can tell you about your options.
- Strengthening your claim: We may investigate your accident and collect documented evidence, such as medical records, repair bills, and eyewitness statements.
- Fighting for a settlement: Your lawyer can negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company on your behalf. If they do not offer you a satisfactory settlement, we may continue the fight in court.
- Giving you advice: We know that lawsuits are complicated. Your legal team may advise you throughout your case about what your next steps should be. Any time you have a question, just pick up the phone and call our law firm.
What if you cannot afford a lawyer? Our services are more affordable than you may think. Our team works on a contingency fee basis. That means we charge you no attorney’s fees upfront, and our payment depends entirely on the success of your case. If you get compensation, we take our fee from that amount. If we do not win your case, you pay us nothing.
A Babylon motor vehicle accident lawyer can help you fight for compensation and take the legal burden off your shoulders. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, can provide the assistance you need to build a personal injury case. That way, you can concentrate on something far more important, like taking care of yourself and your family. Contact us at (516) 358-6900 to learn more.
For a free legal consultation with a motor vehicle accidents lawyer serving Babylon, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.