You might think that auto insurance claims apply only to car and truck accidents, not bicycle accidents or motorcycle accidents. But, if you are injured in a bicycle or motorcycle accident caused by the driver of a passenger car, light truck, commercial truck, or bus in New York, you might be eligible to seek insurance compensation.
The New York accident attorneys of the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP in Long Island can help you pursue compensation after a bicycle or motorcycle accident. We conduct thorough investigations of accidents and the injuries our clients have suffered.
We determine who should be held liable for the accident and the total amount of money the accident has cost our client, including the cost of medical bills, loss of income, and the repair or replacement of a bicycle or motorcycle.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
All accidents are unique, but they have some similarities. One similarity is that, if you are able, there are steps you should take to protect your opportunity to file a successful injury claim. If you are too badly injured, a companion may be able to help with what you should do after a bike accident.
First, assess your injuries and, if you can, the well-being of others in the accident. Call 911 to report the accident to police and request an ambulance if you are injured. Explain clearly that you were hit by a car while riding a bicycle or a motorcycle, the location of the accident, and whether you or others are injured.
Ask the driver who hit you for the information you would normally exchange in a car accident:
- Full name and contact information
- Auto insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license or permit
- Vehicle make, model and year
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- License plate number
Cooperate and give the driver your contact and other information.
Document the accident with photos, including damage to your bike, damage to the car or truck, skid marks, your injuries, and any environmental factors that may have contributed to the accident.
Use your phone to get video of any witnesses to the accident stating their name and contact information and describing what they saw.
Then sit tight and wait for emergency responders. Do not get sucked into an argument with the driver about who caused the accident. Be polite and professional and point out, if necessary, that the police will sort things out.
When emergency responders arrive, answer questions truthfully, but do not say anything to suggest you are at fault or to downplay your injuries. If EMTs say you need to go to the hospital, then you should go.
If you do not go to the hospital in the ambulance, see a doctor as soon as you are able. Sooner is better. This is for your own safety because many serious injuries do not show symptoms immediately. A doctor’s exam also sets the basis for an injury claim.
How to Build a Strong Insurance Claim in 5 Steps
To file a bicycle or motorcycle accident personal injury claim, you will need to show some compensable damages that you suffered in the accident and who was responsible for the accident. An insurance adjuster will try to limit the amount the insurance company pays out to settle the claim.
When it is you with your injuries and damaged bike against the insurer with their lawyers and fine-print policies, you will be at a disadvantage. Having the help of an experienced Long Island personal injury attorney on your side can make the difference.
To build your case, you should:
- Keep all doctor appointments.Follow your doctor’s orders for treatment and medication to the letter. Failing to do so can be used as evidence that you were not badly injured.
- Save all receipts. Save everything related to the accident, from medical bills to bike or motorcycle repair or replacement estimates. Save texts or emails about being out of work or missing other obligations, too. Build a record of everything the accident has cost you.
- Be wary of the insurance company. The insurance company – even your own insurer – wants to pay you as little as possible. Notify your insurance company about the accident, but do not provide a written or recorded statement without the advice of an attorney. A quick settlement offer that looks like a good deal may not be. Insurers know what they have paid for similar claims and what they can get away with. If you have an attorney, take advantage of their services, and refer the insurer to your attorney any time they contact you.
- Contact an experienced accident attorney.You should put your efforts into your health and well-being. In addition to investigating the accident to build a solid claim for you, the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP can handle all paperwork required to file an insurance claim. We can notify creditors that a claim is underway, which keeps them off your phone and away from your door.
- Stay quiet about your claim.In the age of social media, we remind clients not to discuss the prospects of a legal claim online. Avoid posting photos or other information that can be used to argue that you were not as badly injured in the accident as you claim. Stay off social media and tell those who ask that you simply cannot talk about it.
How Our Personal Injury Lawyer Helps You Fight for Compensation
The fight for financial recovery after an accident can be a long and daunting process. When our team manages your case, we work hard to make sure the process is as streamlined as possible. On your behalf, we will:
- Collect your medical records from all treating physicians and facilities, making sure none are overlooked or omitted
- Receive and respond to all correspondence and communication with the negligent driver and their insurer
- Field all settlement offers and help you weigh the pros and cons of each
Our goal is to help you make a well-informed decision and ensure the best possible settlement so you can start rebuilding your life. If that cannot happen via the settlement process, we will take your case to court.
We Will Compile, Organize, and Submit Your Evidence
Your personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit for compensation after a bicycle or motorcycle accident will hinge on the evidence that establishes liability. To ensure your case file is as complete as possible, the evidence we collect for you includes:
- An official copy of your police report. It will prove the date and time of the accident which helps ensure compliance with the statute of limitations. It will also tell our team how to contact the negligent driver and their insurance provider.
- Statements from any witnesses. Witness statements can create a visual of the accident from varying points of view. The driver’s insurance company might also view their statements as being more objective than yours.
- Photos and video footage. Visual evidence like this can come from your smartphone or those of any witnesses or bystanders. It can also come from dashcams, traffic cams, and residential and video surveillance cameras.
You do not have to collect this assortment of evidence on your own. Our client support team will manage this part of your case, which can give you the time you need to focus on your physical recovery. Our involvement sooner rather than later can also ensure compliance with the state’s filing deadline.
We Are Committed to Helping Personal Injury Clients Recover Damages
When we represent you, we offer more than legal service and support. We also make sure you feel supported throughout your physical and financial recovery. Of our team, previous clients say:
- Esther G: I highly recommend Richard Jaffe to anyone involved in a personal injury claim or any other suit where they need the support and resources of a skilled and dedicated attorney.
- Lain L: Mr. Tyger fought for me and got me a very nice settlement. I thank you all for the work you put in for me and I highly recommend letting Cohen and Jaffe represent you in your legal matters.
Your case is a priority to us, and we never stop fighting for the recovery you are entitled to. Read more about the compassion and support we offer every injured party we represent on our client testimonials page.
Contact an Experienced NYC Motorcycle / Bicycle Accident Law Firm
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we know that injuries from bicycle and motorcycle accidents can be severe and disabling. We also know that cyclists and riders often get blamed. We will fight to recover full and fair compensation for you, including money for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Damage to your bike or costs to replace your bicycle or motorcycle
- The pain and suffering you have endured
Get a Free Consultation of Your Bicycle or Motorcycle Accident Case Today
Contact us online or by phone at (516) 358-6900 to speak to an experienced Long Island motorcycle and bicycle accident attorney today. We provide free consultations, including appointments in the evening or on weekends. We pursue claims related to accidents in Long Island and nearby areas, including Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Queens.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction.