The New York State Department of Health reports that there is an average of 1,098 fatalities, 12,093 hospitalizations, and 136,913 emergency department visits each year due to unintentional motor vehicle collisions. If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be able to pursue compensation for the damages you sustained.
The Garden City motor vehicle accident lawyers from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP are here to help you with all aspects of your claim. Contact us at (516) 358-6900 to learn more about filing a claim.
Common Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Some common causes of motor vehicle accidents include:
While texting and driving is a particularly dangerous form of distracted driving, distractions come in any form that takes a driver’s hands off the steering wheel, eyes off the road, or mind off the task of driving. Drivers who are distracted by the following may pose an increased risk:
- Cell phones
- Radio and music systems
- GPS systems and navigational tools
- Things outside the vehicle
Despite the well-known risks of driving while impaired by alcohol, drunk driving continues to be a leading cause of accidents. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that approximately 28% of fatal motor vehicle collisions in 2018 involved a drunk driver.
Areas that have a lot of traffic may cause drivers to get impatient and to drive aggressively by:
- Weaving in and out of lanes
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Running red lights
- Disobeying traffic rules
When a driver is tired, their driving ability may decline. They may take longer to react to hazards, and their judgment may be impaired.
Weather or Road Conditions
Snow, rain, and other precipitation can affect visibility and also make the roads slicker and more dangerous. Failing traffic signals, debris on the roadway, potholes, and obstructed signs can also cause motor vehicle accidents.
Some motor vehicle accidents are caused by defects in vehicles, components, or safety equipment. Brakes may fail, steering may become compromised, or a vehicle may roll over, potentially causing death or injuries to the occupants.
Our Garden City motor vehicle accident lawyers will investigate the factors that contributed to your accident and all potentially liable parties.
For a free legal consultation with a motor vehicle accidents lawyer serving Garden City, call 866-878-6774
Potential Injuries in Motor Vehicle Collisions
Some common injuries that result from motor vehicle collisions include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Broken ribs
- Burn injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Eye injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Disfiguring injuries
- Internal injuries
Garden City Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Near Me 866-878-6774
New York’s No-Fault Insurance Laws
If you are involved in an accident, you turn first to your own insurance for coverage. You can only file a claim against a third party if they were negligent and caused you to suffer a serious injury, which is defined in New York Insurance (ISC) §5102(d) as:
- Significant disfigurement
- A fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function, or system
- Permanent limitation of use of a body organ or member
- A significant limitation of use of a body function or system
- A medical injury or impairment that substantially prevents you from performing all of your routine activities for at least 90 of the first 180 days after your accident
Potential Recoverable Damages in Motor Vehicle Accidents
Whether you are making a claim with your own insurance company or filing a claim against the at-fault party, you may be able to recover compensation for the damages you sustained in the car accident, including:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages and benefits
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Our personal injury team can help calculate the potential value of your claim and negotiate a settlement on your behalf. We sometimes work with expert witnesses to determine additional information about how the accident has affected a victim, such as when a victim is unable to return to work after an accident and may be entitled to compensation due to their lost earning capacity. We will work hard to achieve a fair outcome of your claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Have a Limited Amount of Time to File Your Case
It is important that you understand that you have a limited amount of time to file your case. Some of the general deadlines include:
- Insurance claim – You will most likely have to first file a claim with your own insurance under New York’s no-fault insurance system. You will be subject to filing your claim within the deadline based on the terms of your insurance policy.
- Personal injury lawsuit – If you ultimately decide to file a lawsuit against the negligent party that caused your motor vehicle collision, you will need to do so within the statute of limitations to prevent your claim from being time-barred. In New York, the general statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident.
- Claim against the government – If you make a claim against the government, such as if the negligent driver was a city employee or the accident was caused by a defective traffic light, you will likely have much less time to make your claim.
You must act quickly to preserve your rights. Contact the team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP today to get the claims process started: (516) 358-6900.
Get Help from Our Garden City Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers Today
If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, our Garden City motor vehicle accident lawyers want to help you. Our team can discuss your potential claim with you during a free consultation. The Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP is here to help you during this difficult time. Call us at (516) 358-6900 to learn more about how we can help.