Truck Accident Lawyers in Glen Oaks, NY
Have you or has your loved one been injured in a collision involving a large truck or a commercial vehicle in Glen Oaks, NY? You may be entitled to a truck accident settlement. An experienced semi-truck accident attorney at Cohen & Jaffe can review the details of the accident and explain your legal options.
The attorneys at Cohen & Jaffe have decades of collective experience handling personal injury cases just like yours. When you select a semi-truck accident lawyer at Cohen & Jaffe, you’ll work directly with one of our partners: Richard Jaffe or Stephen Cohen. Our truck accident law firm excels in handling all aspects of semi-truck accident claims, including investigating the crash, identifying all potentially liable parties, and ensuring that your case is taken seriously by the trucking company and their insurer. We are proud to have secured millions of dollars for our clients.
Managing Partner Richard Jaffe is a trained EMT who understands the horrific injuries that drivers and passengers can suffer in collisions with semi-trucks that can weigh 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. Our knowledgeable Glen Oaks truck accident attorneys will be ready to seek the maximum compensation possible to help you so that you can afford the medical treatment and care you need to move forward with your life.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
Table of Contents
Semi-trucks can cause catastrophic injuries when they collide with another vehicle. Victims of these crashes may suffer severe injuries or life-threatening injuries. Despite the safety precautions you take as an automobile driver, you could still cross paths with a negligent truck driver whose aggressive driving or careless actions put you in danger.
There are various types of accidents involving commercial trucks. Driver error, poor road conditions, and maintenance issues could all contribute to a collision.
The most common types of truck accidents in Glen Oaks include:
- Tire Blowouts: A tire that is overinflated, defective, or damaged may explode or deflate suddenly, causing the truck driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Jackknife: A driver braking hard and fast may cause the truck and trailer to fold against each other at a 90-degree angle, putting motorists in adjacent lanes at risk as the truck careens out of control.
- Rollover: Losing control leads to the vehicle sliding across the road and rolling onto its side.
- Wide Turns: The driver of an 18-wheeler has to swing wide left before making a right turn to avoid hitting the curb. Trucks making wide turns may sideswipe or cut off cars located beside them if the truck driver doesn’t know they are there.
- Blind Spots: Semi-trucks and other commercial trucks have large blind spots on all sides. If a truck driver tries to change lanes and cannot see a vehicle in a blind spot, it can cause a serious accident.
- Lost Load: Goods not adequately secured may fall off a trailer or flatbed, creating sudden hazardous obstacles on the road and the potential for serious accidents.
- T-Bone: Occurs when the truck driver runs a red light, crashing into the side of another vehicle.
- Head-On: When a large truck collides with a smaller vehicle head-on, the resulting injuries may be catastrophic or fatal. The occupants of the smaller vehicle may suffer debilitating and potentially fatal injuries in these types of crashes.
The explosion in popularity of online shopping has increased the demand for goods to be delivered, and on shorter timetables than ever. Unfortunately, more trucks on the road rushing to make deliveries increase the risk of serious accidents.
What to Do if Injured in a Truck Accident in Glen Oaks, NY
If you are involved in a truck accident, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you are unsure of how severe your injuries are, you should have an evaluation by a medical professional. You may have injuries that are not immediately apparent except to a health care professional. Getting medical care is a crucial first step after a truck accident.
You should take the following steps to protect yourself and your rights to compensation:
- Call the police to the scene and request a copy of the traffic crash report;
- Exchange insurance information with the other motorist;
- If you are able, take photos of the scene and any damage to the vehicles;
- Get contact information from any witnesses to the collision;
- Write down information regarding how the accident happened, where it occurred, and the injuries you sustained;
- Seek medical attention, even for injuries that seem minor; and
- Contact an experienced Glen Oaks truck accident attorney.
Following the steps above could improve your chances of receiving fair compensation from a semi-truck accident settlement.
Should I Settle My Truck Accident Case?
Depending on the extent of your injuries and the time it takes to recover, you may be owed compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, replacement of your vehicle, pain and suffering, and more. Your truck accident lawyer will review all the details of your case to determine the appropriate amount of compensation to demand from the trucking company’s insurance carrier.
You should also seek compensation for any future treatment you might need.
We will negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company and inform you of any settlement offers. If we believe a truck accident settlement offer is reasonable, we will let you know. If the insurance carrier offers much less than the amount needed to cover your medical bills, we may advise you to reject the offer. If the insurance company denies your claim or fails to offer an acceptable settlement, we can file a lawsuit against any and all liable parties.
The statute of limitations for truck accident personal injury claims in New York is three years. That means you’re only able to bring legal action against the negligent party within three years of the date of the accident. If the deadline for filing a lawsuit passes, you lose your right to pursue a lawsuit and will be unable to recover any compensation. If an individual dies as a result of the crash, a loved one should file a wrongful death suit within two years.
How Much Can I Recover in a Truck Accident Settlement?
New York is a no-fault state. That means if an auto accident causes your injury, you can file a claim with your insurance carrier regardless of who caused the accident.
If your damages are substantial, you may be entitled to file a claim against the negligent trucker, the company that employed them, or other parties for economic damages, such as medical bills.
You can only seek compensation for noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering if your injuries meet the following requirements:
- Significant disfigurement
- Bone fracture
- Loss of fetus
- A significant limitation of a vital bodily function
- Permanent restriction of the use of an organ
- Medically determined disability of at least 90 days
The economic and noneconomic damages you might recover compensation for includes:
- Medical bills: Medically necessary treatment, such as physical therapy, hospital visits, and home health care.
- Lost wages: Past and future pay you’re unable to earn as a result of your injury.
- Vehicle repair or replacement: Costs of repairing damage to your car or replacing it altogether.
- Pain and suffering: Any significant pain endured after your accident.
- Loss of affection or companionship: Compensation for the victim’s loved ones when the crash negatively impacted their relationship.
- Wrongful death: Compensation for the deceased’s immediate family members to cover expenses, such as funeral costs.
Your semi-truck accident attorney will review the insurance policies available and determine the damages you may seek in a truck accident settlement.
Legal Help After a Semi-Truck Accident
Hiring an 18-wheeler accident lawyer is one of the most important steps you may take. Many individuals try to handle insurance claims on their own.
Anyone unfamiliar with the claims process may not be familiar with insurance company negotiating tactics. You may not understand the fair value of the claim or how to navigate the claims process. When you have an experienced truck accident attorney guiding you, you can be assured that you won’t be taken advantage of by the insurance company.
Cohen & Jaffee will conduct a thorough investigation and gather critical pieces of evidence to support your claim. We will identify all the responsible parties and seek to hold them liable for your injuries and financial losses. We believe in seeking justice for our clients, no matter what.
Contact the Experienced Truck Accident Attorneys in Glen Oaks, NY
If you or a loved one sustained an injury in a truck accident, call the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe for a no-obligation case review. We dedicate ourselves to providing quality customer service to our clients. We return calls within 24 hours.
We know the financial burden you’re facing if you have been seriously injured and are struggling to recover and keep your bills paid. We offer a free consultation to all prospective clients. We’ll review the details of your case to determine if we can move forward with a claim or lawsuit.
Call us at (516) 878-6774 to schedule your appointment with a truck accident attorney you can trust.