According to the New York State Department of Health, common slip and fall injuries after accidents consist of “brain injuries, and fractures of the hip, vertebrae, and pelvis.” These injuries are especially common for adults aged 65 and older. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also notes that broken bones (including wrist, ankle, and arm fractures) are generally common after fall injuries.
Keep track of any symptoms after a fall. They could indicate more serious conditions than you first predicted. Make sure you get medical attention after slipping and falling to make sure any injuries are diagnosed and treated.
Your Slip and Fall Injury Could Entitle You to Damages
The pain and suffering you feel is a potentially compensable loss. Additionally, any medical care you have to get because of your injury could also make you eligible to file a claim or lawsuit.
Other losses you could recover the costs of are:
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning capacity
- In-home care during your recovery, like a housekeeper
- Additions to make your accessible, like a ramp
- Transportation to doctor’s appointments, work, and necessary errands (if your injury prevents you from driving your own vehicle)
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one due to their slip and fall injuries, your lawyer could help you secure compensation for the following losses:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Your loved one’s pain and suffering prior to their passing
- Your loved one’s medical costs prior to their passing
- Loss of your loved one’s guidance and support
- Loss of consortium (if the decedent was your spouse)
- Loss of your loved one’s income
Proving Fault and Negligence in a Slip-and-Fall Case
You will have to prove the property owner, caretaker, or manager is at fault for your injuries. To do this, you can look for evidence of the following kinds:
- Video of your fall (taken from security camera systems)
- Photos of your injuries
- A journal detailing your healing process
- Eyewitness testimony
- Accident reconstructionists
- Medical expert witnesses
- Past records of accidents because of the same (or a similar) hazard
- News stories detailing past negligent behavior from the other party
If you work with someone from our team, we can gather compelling evidence for you, linking your injuries to the negligent party.
What We Can Do for You Upon You Retaining Our Services
If you retain someone from our team to handle your case, we will start out by compiling sources of proof that support your claim. This way, you will not have to expend the energy of doing so yourself. You deserve to heal with your family at this time.
Next, a lawyer from our team will valuate your damages, write and send a demand letter to the insurance company listing your losses, and negotiate with the insurer for a fair settlement for you. Then, we will either secure a settlement or take your case to court via a lawsuit against the other party.
Our legal team will serve as your advocate. We want you to understand your options and your rights. We will also work to give you your time back because you will not have to do everything your case requires all by yourself.
You Only Have Limited Time to File Your Lawsuit
If you want to file a lawsuit, you have to do so within a certain amount of time under state law. All personal injury cases have a timeline imposed on them. If you want to pursue a case against a municipality, however, you have less time under a separate timeline. A lawsuit against a municipality could involve falling on a sidewalk or on public property such as a park.
You could potentially extend the timeline if your child was the victim of slip and fall injuries. Discuss the existence of any applicable timelines in your case with your lawyer.
We Have Experience Handling Cases Just Like Yours
Our lawyers have secured slip and fall settlements for other clients we have represented in the past. These include:
- $875,000 for a victim of a fall due to a wet floor at a hotel; the victim suffered hip injuries
- Six-figure settlement for the family of a woman who died due to undiagnosed brain bleeds suffered because of a fall
Get Help from the Attorneys at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP Now
Reach out to the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP by dialing (516) 358-6900. We can discuss how you could collect compensation if you suffered from a common injury (or an uncommon injury) after a slip and fall accident in New York.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900