While you can file a malpractice suit without a lawyer, hiring a medical malpractice lawyer from our firm can be beneficial if you:
- Have never filed a medical malpractice lawsuit before
- Are not sure what is involved in or necessary for a medical malpractice lawsuit
- Need help collecting evidence to support your case
- Are still recovering from your injuries and might not have time to manage a legal case on your own
Our legal team can help you prepare your case and submit it to the New York Courts by its deadline. If your malpractice case occurred in New Hyde Park or a surrounding area in New York, we can have a lawyer who serves your area work on your case. We also offer free initial consultations in case you have further questions about our services.
Benefits of Hiring a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
A major reason why you might want to work with a medical malpractice attorney from our team is that they will know the ins and outs of the judicial system in New York regarding this area of law. Our legal team can help you access resources that might be difficult to do on your own if you decide to file a malpractice suit without a lawyer.
Once you become our client, you gain the efforts of our legal team working for you, which involve:
- Identifying who might be liable in your case, which could involve more than one party (and thus more than one lawsuit to file)
- Conducting a private investigation into your case
- Collecting evidence to support your case, including expert witness testimony from another medical professional
- Submitting paperwork for your case so that legal motions begin
- Handling communications with involved parties in your case to protect you from having any statements you make get misconstrued
- Negotiating settlement terms with the opposing party to avoid having to take your case to court
- Serving as your legal advocate at trial if need be
Our Lawyers Work On a Contingency-Fee-Basis
Many of our clients pursue compensation because they are in a financial deficit and need help recovering their losses. So, we understand that you might be hesitant to hire a lawyer because of the assumption of cost.
At the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP, we do not charge anything upfront. The fees of our services are waived until we win you compensation, and if we do not win your case, you owe us nothing at all. We will agree to a fee percentage, which we take out of your award (and not your pocket) during your initial consultation.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-358-6900
We Can Help You Fight for Compensation to Recover Your Damages
Do you know what kind of damages are considered compensable in your case? Even if you know you can pursue compensation for your medical bills and income loss, there are other compensatory awards you can pursue that you might not know about.
Our legal team can review your case and discuss how the medical malpractice affected your life to determine how much compensation you should pursue. These damages might include:
- Medical treatment expenses, including costs for emergency room care, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, doctor’s appointments, physical therapy, etc.
- Current and future loss of income
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disability, including loss of vision or hearing functions
- Physical disfigurement, including scarring and amputation
This is not a conclusive list, but a sample of damages we may suggest you pursue. You will learn more about what kind of compensatory awards you may qualify for in future consultations.
We Will Review Your Case to Determine the Filing Deadline
Regarding civil action lawsuits, plaintiffs have to abide by the state’s statute of limitations when filing their case so that it can be heard. This filing deadline differs based on the type of lawsuit you file and certain factors involved in your case, so it is crucial that you understand the time frame you have to submit your case.
Our legal team can review your case to identify its statutory deadline in New York. We can then negotiate a potential settlement with the insurance company or help you take steps to submit a lawsuit before the deadline expires.
In New York, you may have to submit your case within:
- Two years and six months from the date of injury or discovery of injury if your case involves medical malpractice, per CVP §214-A
- Three years from the date of injury if your case involves being prescribed or administered defective drugs, per CVP §214
If you fail to meet your case’s filing deadline, a judge could dismiss your case, depriving you of the opportunity to pursue compensation that could help you cover the losses from your medical malpractice case.
Hire a Medical Malpractice Lawyer from the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP to Help You
If you or a loved one suffered an injury due to a negligent medical professional, you may be able to recover compensation through a malpractice claim or lawsuit. The legal team at the Law Office of Cohen & Jaffe, LLP serves clients like you throughout New York, including New Hyde Park and surrounding areas.
Call (516) 358-6900 to receive a free consultation with one of our team members and learn how a medical malpractice attorney from our team can help you file your case. Don’t risk putting your compensation in jeopardy. Call our team today.